Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time to haggle with Directv, what package and how much do you pay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time to haggle with Directv, what package and how much do you pay?

We've been with Directv for over 10 years now. Currently have one HD DVR in the living room and one standard receiver (non-HD) in the bedroom. No premium channels, just the middle of the road package that includes the sports channels. Our bill runs just over $100 per month. I see all the promo deals for new customers that are significantly better than this. What do you have, channel and feature-wise and what is your monthly bill? I want to have a good bit of data in hand before I call and threaten to jump ship.

FIOS and U-verse fanboys need not respond, they aren't an option in Podunk, Texas.

Good luck. I've been with them for a long time too and I've got 3 receivers (One HD DVR, one HD and one standard) and probably have the same package that you do. I'm paying over $100 per month too. I tried haggling and they wouldn't really work with me at all. Pretty sad.

Comment

Aren't they having a 4% increase coming as well. I know there was something on the news about it!

Comment

When I left direct TV for cable they offered a $500 credit to stay. They started at $75 credit and worked their way up. Hope that helps. Just pretend yo are going to leave them they'll budge.

Comment

We are on our first year. We have one of the nicer packages and we pay $65 a month with 2 HD DVR boxes and 1 Standard box. Our 2nd year will be $85 a month. I think they have a 2 year minimum contract. I would price whatever other providers you are able to get and see what their new customer specials are and use that also as a weapon. I personally will not stay with them if my bill ever goes over $90 a month and I am an ***** when it comes to haggling lol good luck.

Comment

Don't try to negotiate with the general customer service person. Call to cancel your service, a person in that dept is authorized to cut a deal with you. Say your wife said you cant afford it anymore, can they eork with you. Push it up to the point your resdy to say disconnect it, then say you need to see what your wife said.

3 key negotiation points here:

-Never make the first price offer or concession

- Never bring the final decision maker to the negotiation

- Only by walking away, with a way to re enter the negotiation can you see what the other party's bottom line is.

Have fun, it's a game.

Comment

Fios, just sold me all the premuim channels for $20 a month for a year. It's funny, because we were cancelling HBO/Cinemax that they gave us for free for six months to avoid the $24.95 charge after the promo. The guy offered everything for $20. Sold.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill in San Jose View Post
                Don't try to negotiate with the general customer service person. Call to cancel your service, a person in that dept is authorized to cut a deal with you. Say your wife said you cant afford it anymore, can they eork with you. Push it up to the point your resdy to say disconnect it, then say you need to see what your wife said.

- Only by walking away, with a way to re enter the negotiation can you see what the other party's bottom line is.

Have fun, it's a game.

This!

Comment

Originally posted by Bill in San Jose View Post

Have fun, it's a game.
                  Good stuff here!

Comment

I tried to get an extra receiver for the bedroom and those **** burglars told me it would cost 400$ for the instal. So the tv just sits.....

Comment

Just left them after 9 years for Dish. Haggling with them and told them if they could not do better I would be calling Dish after hanging up with them. Dish gave me a good deal and threw in the standard 3 month free premium channels. One Dvr which I can watch in both living room and bedroom with no extra equipment. Dvr for my little girls room. Pricing was locked in for 10 months at 69.00. Called Direct TV back and pushed through to a supervisor telling me I could opt out of contract with Dish, and then they wanted to hang the moon for me with all kinds of deals. Told them they had their chance, cancel it. Good luck. They gave my lil brother a 10 dollar month credit on his bill for 10 months for recommending me.

Comment

I don't have any advice on pricing, but when you call you need to speak with someone in customer retentions. These are the people that are authorized to make decisions and offer you the world to stay.

Comment

About to do the same. The increase has us worried that they won't negotiate but if they won't we will go just the Netflix route.

Todd

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonH View Post
                            I don't have any advice on pricing, but when you call you need to speak with someone in customer retentions. These are the people that are authorized to make decisions and offer you the world to stay.
                            Yes, ask for the rententions department. I have my bill down to $60 a month and I have HD, DVR, Starz, Showtime, Cinemax, Choice Xtra, Sportspack and had NFL Sunday Ticket, NFL Sunday Ticket to Go, College Gameplan. Most of this was complaining about them not having the Longhorn Network. I got all of this without having to sign back into contract. If you don't like the person you are speaking with and don't think it is going any where you can hang up and call back later to speak to someone else. Everything is logged though so keep that in mind, but sometimes some of the rententions department give you the world with you just being silent. Let them do the talking.

Comment

I had several bad experience's with them(direct tv) from day one and finally after about 6months someone told me how to get out of the contract for free. I switched to dish and could not be happier more channels and about half of the cost. Direct TV is one of the worst compaines I have had the pleasure to deal with!!! I hope they go out of business!!

Comment

Working...
                              X