Face to face with a mountain lion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Face to face with a mountain lion.

I didn’t ever expect this. Nor did I have any idea how I’d react in this situation. I had a huge group of pigs come in right at dark. I was trying to get a shot one of the bigger ones but just too dark. I turned my headlight on and figured if they stayed I’d shoot, if they spooked no problem. I’d just climb down and make my half mile walk to the four wheeler. They spooked. I quietly climb down and start walking. I always turn around shining my head light to see if a deer or hog is coming in as I’m leaving. I turned and thought I saw a deer at first glance. Then realizing the eyes are closer together, I fully turn. I had to go through every other animal in my head before I’d let it be what it was. There at thirty yards from me stood a mountain lion in the dark. I stood still. It stood still. It took a small step and I could see the front paw was huge. I pulled my .40 out of the holster at my side and racked the slide. The cat crouched down just like a house cat. I stood there not wanting to move. I was in a field. Nowhere to go. The thoughts in my head were all about staying calm. Don’t run. I started walking backwards watching it’s eyes glow. Also briefly looking ahead because we have a lot of rattlesnakes. The cat got up and turned away. Walking and looking back at me every so often. I made it to the four wheeler and left. I was surprised at how well I handled it. That was about three hours ago. I wish I had pics. I know, pics or it didn’t happen. I wish it didn’t happen. I still gotta finish the season walking in the dark to that stand. It’s a good one. I will but not without this memory in my head the whole way. I was, for the first time, legitimately rattled. Still in disbelief.

Wow! That’s creepy!!!! Glad I’m not the one who is gonna be walking in and out of that stand the rest of the season!!!!

Was it a black panther? 🤣🤣🤣

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

That would be a crazy situation for sure

Comment

Did you consciously decide not to kill it? Like you said, you don’t know how you’ll react until you are there, but I’d like to think I’d be taking that thing to the taxidermist. Good luck with your future walks out there.

Comment

Originally posted by MetalMan2004 View Post
          Did you consciously decide not to kill it? Like you said, you don’t know how you’ll react until you are there, but I’d like to think I’d be taking that thing to the taxidermist. Good luck with your future walks out there.
          I'd be too scared id wound it and it would charge. Then you have to deal with more nerves while trying to drop a big cat charging you.

Comment

Awesome experiance!! Carry a rifle for the rest of the season... I bet more of us have been within that distance of a cat but don't know it...

Comment

Originally posted by MetalMan2004 View Post
              I did. I don’t know why though. Just didn’t want to fire unless I thought it had to happen. Course that would be too late in reality!

Comment

You did the correct thing IMO. Taking shots in the dark at a big cat with a .40 isn’t a good gamble.

Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Oh wow! Llano or Runnels county?

Comment

Pretty sure I would have ***** lol. I always think about something like this happening as walk to or away from the stand. Had a crazy experience a couple years ago I herd a big cat growling behind me in my pop up. I was pretty sketched out and started carrying a pistol with me since that happened. Friends didn't believe me because big cats are rare for our area but I know what I herd lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx.Fisher View Post
                      Oh wow! Llano or Runnels county?
                      This was San Saba county.

Comment

Please post pics of skid marks for proof of this encounter.

[emoji23]

Comment

That's so awesome. Should have blown that thing away. I would have emptied that pistol.

If I didn't try to kill it I'd regret it until the day I die.
                          Last edited by okrattler; 11-04-2018, 07:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by KenWood View Post
                            This was San Saba county.

What part of the county if you don't mind sharing?

Comment

I had a bobcat follow me into my stand a couple weeks ago. I have a little experience in tracking so I’m always looking at tracks as I walk into/out of the stand. I walked in for a morning hunt and when I walked out was watching my tracks where I came in. Little joker followed me a long ways but never saw him. Make ya think twice when walking in haha

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Working...
                              X