Cover Scent vs Scent Killer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jerp View Post
    For some people around here, the default answer for scent control is always “just play the wind!” Duh -thanks for the tip. I don’t think anyone knowingly sits a stands that is directly upwind of the feeder or trail they are hunting. Staying downwind is difficult in many areas - especially in West Texas mesquite flats - because the deer come in from all points on the compass. Having the wind in your face is a good start but it is of little help if the deer come in from behind you. The smart ones come in from downwind no matter what direction that may be.
    Exactly.

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by jrfan View Post
      I treat my clothes with my little ozone machine I bought off of amazon for 40.00 I treat them for an hour and then hang them outside for them to air out. I take a shower in scent away soap before I go to the stand. I walk through a cow patty or two on the way to the stand and have not been busted one time this year. I had 9 deer directly downwind of me and not one of them ever knew i was 25 yards away.
      Got a link to this?

Comment

I was very skeptical but I bought Scent crusher bag. After my last two evening sits I’m sold. Had 10+ deer around my stand in every direction both evenings and never busted. One doe tried to spook but I believe she saw some movement from me.

Comment

Originally posted by BigThicketBoy View Post
          How does it keep them from smelling you but smell everything else ??

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
          Not sure they can smell anything with scent thief, when I spray it on my hand the scent thief is all I can smell. Not really sure what the smell is, But I’ve smelled it before, when shredding pastures, smells just like a weed we have that grows on our place. I’m 53 years old and have bow hunted since high school, I’ve tried a lot of things that turned out to be gimmicks over the years but in my opinion this stuff helps.

Comment

I wash my clothes in baking soda, bath in scent killer body wash, spray down before I walk in with scent killer or dead down wind, and rub the sides of my boots with evercalm. Since using this combination i almost never get winded, I can’t even remember the last time.

Comment

Ozonics and scent free clothes wash. But most importantly hunt the wind.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Comment

Ive been guilty for trying about every scent killer out on the shelf. I hunt the sam Houston national forest and feel like scent is a big deal. I never hunt a spot without checking winds and it seems everytime i go deer come from every direction and the wind never goes just one way ill be 15 to 25 feet up a tree and its blowing every direction. I have had 10 plus deer within 20 yards already this year and the only ones that have busted me hit my scent trail. I usually change into hunting clothes about 80 yards from my hunting location so im not so sweaty. Dead down wind is by far my favorite so far. Primos makes the earth blend which smells like fresh overturned dirt but for the most part earth scented dead down wind. I also rub myself down with a pine. Just cant figure out how to eliminate ground scents they keep screwin my hunts up. Deer comes from up wind some how manages to walk up to right where i walked in had it happen on 3 diffrents sets
                Last edited by roostar14; 10-25-2018, 02:42 AM.

Comment

Unfortunately we can’t really play the wind at our place bc the deer come from every direction. As soon as I think I know where they are coming from they wilstart using a completely different route. I use scent-a-way spray and started using ozonics this year. I hunted two times where the wind was blowing directly at a number of deer within 40 yards and all they did was put their nose up several times and never spooked. My brother and I both used Ozonics and didn’t hear a single deer blow at us the entire weekend and we had a number of deer downwind of us each hunt. I understand that not all deer will blow at you but I was very impressed with what I saw and how the deer reacted.

I’ve used cover scents like cedar oil and raccoon **** in the past but you have to remember that the majority of that stuff is concentrated so you only need a small amount. If you are in an area with cedars I recommend you break off a limb and rub the cedar between your legs, arms and rub all over yourself. I think that works better than a lot of the cover scents. Another thing I like to do is step in cow **** to help cover my scent on the way to the blind.

I’ve never tried using smoke but I’m sure it would work.

Comment

who knows if it helps or not but everytime i go out and fill the feeder i sprinkle out some of the powdered corn coat, i also mix it in with the corn in the feeder. whenever i hunt i sprinkle some out around the windows of my blind. it might be BS but ive had some success in a spot where the wind swirls constantly and the deer come from all directions.

Comment

I wash my clothes in unscented soap and I place them in a box with cedar limbs. I don't have issues.

Comment

Originally posted by redfishted View Post
                        Not sure they can smell anything with scent thief, when I spray it on my hand the scent thief is all I can smell. Not really sure what the smell is, But I’ve smelled it before, when shredding pastures, smells just like a weed we have that grows on our place. I’m 53 years old and have bow hunted since high school, I’ve tried a lot of things that turned out to be gimmicks over the years but in my opinion this stuff helps.
                        Scent Thief smells just like Vicks Vapor Rub to me

Comment

Smoke you clothes and boots and if you want the one cover scent that is native to 99% to most deer leases, use Pete Rickards Cattle Scent. very natural scent when you have cows on the lease. Just do not spray it on your pop up or blind as some cattle will rub on it.

Comment

Has anyone used HECS stealth screen stuff?

Comment

I have been using Burnham Brothers Cedar Oil for most of my life. Odor is not offensive and lasts for days. Smoke will help but I can't stand the way I smell.
                              The formula for this product is not pure cedar oil as cedar oil has very little odor. We add other things to the formula to increase the strength. I put it on my clothes though it will leave an oily spot, but who cares????
                              I have a lot of old time bowhunters who purchase this stuff 6 bottles at a time.
                              Adios,
                              Gary

Comment

Cover Scent vs Scent Killer?

Originally posted by gigem95 View Post
                                Exactly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hunting in East Texas the only thing I can do is hunt. I eliminate everything possible tho..
                                wash my clothes with dead down wind detergent, air dry then store in a tuba wear box with pine limbs. I shower with dead down wind body soap and shampoo, when I get to my hunting area I spray myself down with sometimes a pine cover scent or just regular earth scent. Then I hang coon urine from a branch near my stand. Sometimes the deer come down wind and bust me sometimes they don’t.. I cant necessarily hunt the wind because I’m surrounded by hardwoods and pine. I just hunt and hope for the best. This isn’t the Midwest where deer are easy to pattern this is Texas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X