Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which lens to buy?

Alright,
    I'm looking at buying a lens I'll use mainly for landscapes and just general use. I plan on using it mainly when I'm walking around the ranch and taking pictures of grasses, prescribed burning, landscape shots, and some night photography. There are a lot of really good lenses out there, at the moment though I don't want to drop a ton of money on one. I've mainly been looking at the canon 50mm 1.8 and the canon 24mm 2.8. Leaning towards the 24mm because I shoot a 70d and a 24mm is really going to be closer 38mm. There are some great lenses at the $500 range, but I'd rather spend half of that.
    Let me know your opinions of the two lenses listed, or another price friendly lens I'm missing. I currently use my kit 18-55mm lens and want a better piece of glass. Thanks!

I have a Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 that I use on my 7D. It's a nice lens, especially for the price. It will cover the range you're looking for, I imagine.

Comment

[QUOTE=Shane;12215196]I have a Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 that I use on my 7D. It's a nice lens, especially for the price. It will cover the range you're looking for, I imagine.

Thanks for the reply Shane! I wasn't quite wanting to spend that much right now, but that looks like a great lens. I really want something that will be a good all around lens. Couple that one with my 150-600 and I should be good.

Any other recommendations or ideas?

Comment

There are some on eBay for $250 - $275.

Get the best deals for Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 canon at eBay.com. We have a great online selection at the lowest prices with Fast & Free shipping on many items!

Comment

I have this lens I bought on ebay and it's been great. Had it 3 years now.

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Tamron SP A016 17-50mm f/2.8 Di-II XR AF IF Lens For Canon at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!

Comment

I haven't been on eBay and years, that is a heck of a savings though. Looks like I'm going to have to sign back up!

Comment

Alrighty guys, I need some more recommendations for lenses. Or just your personal opinion on which fits my situation better. I'm looking for a new lens for Astrophotography and landscapes. I've been shooting lately with my Canon 24mm, but I need something wider for some of the shots I have in mind. At first I was looking at the Sigma 17-50mm 2.8 as Shane recommended above. It looks like a great lens. Only problem is I don't know if it is quite wide enough to buy. Then I did a lot of searching and found the Tokina 11-16 and the Rokinon 14mm 2.8. The Rokinon is cheaper, but the Tokina has pretty awesome reviews from the TBH crowd. What is yalls opinion? Any other lenses I should look at? The price of the Tokina has me concerned, but I'm ready to spend the money if it's worth it.

Comment

You want something wide for landscape. I recently went to an ultra wide and love it but that might be a bit too much for what you are looking for. An example of what 10.5mm gets you. Its 180 degrees so you have to literally be right on top of it.

Comment

Wow, that's extremely wide! Cools shots!

Comment

I have a Canon 10-18mm that I like. Check out the reviews section on BH website for sample pics:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._5_5_6_is.html

Comment

Kegan one thing to consider on the Sigma is it is an aps-c lens and if you ever go full frame it won't work on the FF body. Vignette big time. I ran into this situation and worked around it until I sold the lenses. IMO a lens for your stated purpose wouldn't need to be an IS lens.

You might take a look at this one or see about a used one. This one is on my radar especially since a wide angle isn't a priority lens for me.

Lots of guys here do like the Tokina. Looking at it at B&H reveals it is also for aps-c sensors.

Good luck with what you decide.

Edit: FriscoAg posted one I was going to look into until I figured out it wasn't for FF bodies.

Comment

Well it was hidden (translated I didn't read far enough down) but the one I recommended is aps-c also.

Comment

I have a Tokina 12-24mm f/4 that I like a lot. The 11-16mm f/2.8 Is probably what I'd buy today if I was looking for a wide zoom for landscape. I rarely go above 16mm when I have my 12-24 lens on my camera.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Thank you everyone for the recommendations! Keep them coming please! I'd really like to stay close to the f2.8 if possible. Anything higher than that worries me, even though I read all the way up to f4 is ok. If any of y'all have any experiences with the higher aperatures im interested in hearing yalls results with astrophotography.

Comment

Originally posted by Puncher51 View Post
                              Thank you everyone for the recommendations! Keep them coming please! I'd really like to stay close to the f2.8 if possible. Anything higher than that worries me, even though I read all the way up to f4 is ok. If any of y'all have any experiences with the higher aperatures im interested in hearing yalls results with astrophotography.
                              One thing to consider with a wide lens is if you really need it to be that fast, like a 2.8. It sounds like you will be shooting during daylight hours and shooting landscape you will be on the higher end, say F11, in order to get a greater depth of field. I am a Nikon shooter so cannot recommend a specific lens in the Canon line for you but I have the 16-35 VR F4 and I have never wished in a shooting situation that it went below F4. Also, if you are shooting landscapes you will probably be on a tripod anyway.
                              Just something to think about as the faster the lens, the higher the price. One website you might check out if you have not already is KEH.com

Comment

Working...
                              X