Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it illegal to shoot bow in your yard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it illegal to shoot bow in your yard?

Is it illegal to shoot bows in your back yard inside city limits?

I checked my municipal laws. Its says you can be charged with Class B misdemeanor - disorderly conduct.

I AM NOT A LAWYER.

Check with your city hall. May be a zoning ordinance issue.

Comment

Each city will have different laws. A city can make that illegal.

Post up what the law says on a class b misdemeanor.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan R View Post
        Each city will have different laws. A city can make that illegal.

Post up what the law says on a class b misdemeanor.
        Sec. 62-3. - Firearms, discharge in city prohibited, exceptions.

(a)
        With the exception of subsections (b), (c), and (d), it shall be unlawful for any person to fire, shoot, or discharge within the city, any bow and arrow or any gun, pistol, revolver, rifle, BB gun, air gun, air rifle or firearm of any description.

(b)
        This section shall not apply to the discharge of any firearm by any peace officer in the performance of his official duties.

(c)
        A shotgun, air rifle or pistol, BB gun, or bow and arrow may be discharged in an area annexed into the City of Lake Jackson after September 1, 1981, if:

(1)
        The tract of land on which the weapon is discharged is ten (10) acres or more;

(2)
        The discharge is more than one hundred fifty (150) feet from a residence or occupied building located on another property; and

(3)
        The discharge is made in such a manner that it is not reasonably expected to cause a projectile to cross the boundary of the tract.

(d)
        A center fire or rim fire rifle or pistol of any caliber may be discharged in an area annexed into the City of Lake Jackson after September 1, 1981, if:

(1)
        The tract of land on which the weapon is discharged is fifty (50) acres or more;

(2)
        The discharge is more than three hundred (300) feet from a residence or occupied building located on another property; and

(3)
        The discharge is made in such a manner that it is not reasonably expected to cause a projectile to cross the boundary of the tract.

(e)
        This section is not intended to apply to any act prohibited in V.T.C.A., Penal Code § 42.01.

(Ord. No. 159, §§ 1, 3, 8-17-54; Code 1958, § 14-8; Ord. No. 07-1842, § 1, 4-16-2007)

Cross reference— Shooting on, along or across public roads, § 62-11.

State law reference— Discharge of firearm in public place, V.T.C.A., Penal Code § 42.01(a)(9), (11).

The penal code reference is what suggests it's a Class B misdmeanor.

Comment

each city will be different. this is from the city code of ordinances in arlington. i take it im good to shoot in my yard.

Click image for larger version

Name:	archery.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	24009705

Comment

Looks Like if you have 10 acres, are at least 150 feet away from any structure that may contain a human, and have a sufficient backstop to prevent any misses from leaving your property, you can do it. Other than that, it doesn't look like you can legally do it.

Comment

Here's a link to more discussions on the topic. It looks like we all need to do our research before flinging arrows in the neighborhood. Rats!

Comment

it depends on the city. When I lived in Flower Mound, there was nothing on the books concerning bow and arrow in the city limits. Each city is different so read up. If you have questions, contact the city. I wouldn't ask a LEO as I did because they will, in my experience, tell you not to, even though it's perfectly legal. I asked the city about the officers comments and he told me it was probably because they didn't want to deal with the phone calls from nosy neighbors that were sure to come.

Comment

My next door neighbor at A&M used to put his bow target in his kitchen then shoot from the front sidewalk through his living room and into the target. If he missed that target, he was going to hit his icebox. It was cool.

Comment

Originally posted by mlmtx01 View Post
                    My next door neighbor at A&M used to put his bow target in his kitchen then shoot from the front sidewalk through his living room and into the target. If he missed that target, he was going to hit his icebox. It was cool.
                    I used to shoot my longbow in my house...until my wife found out. Man was she mad. I never missed the target but she didn't care...killjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by GregH View Post
                      Here's a link to more discussions on the topic. It looks like we all need to do our research before flinging arrows in the neighborhood. Rats!

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...ow+city+limits
                      Dang, I should've searched first! my bad!

Comment

Yes

Comment

McKinney Yep

Comment

That's why I don't live in the city

Comment

I feel like I been living on the edge of breaking the law now reading some of these laws.

Comment

Working...
                              X