Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how many does do you think a mature buck breeds per year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's true that the further apart the sex ratio is, the more does a single buck breeds. But, we tend to believe that the older, more dominant bucks do more of the breeding, and that isn't true at all. When a sex ratio is out of whack, all bucks definately get to breed, meaning that your spikes and culls breed just as many as the bucks that are desirable. I guess they are all desirable to the does. And in fact, the older bucks that spend time fighting may very well lose a chance to breed, because the young fellers come in and steal their doe while they are fighting. So, shoot the culls, and shoot lotsa does if you have a skewed sex ratio.

Comment

Originally posted by lnester View Post
      It looks to me that the only thing certain is nobody really knows. Especially this motley crew on the green screen!!

True.....but it is kinda interesting to see people enthuisiastically defend an idea they have with zero evidence whatsoever.....if anything one could learn more about human behavior rather than deer by reading threads like this.

Comment

Originally posted by buckwild17 View Post
        Mature, free range, bucks usually spend more time fighting than breeding. They are lucky to breed 3-5 doe in a normal season. Breeding is usually done be the spectators, so cull early, cull often !!!!
        I am a lover not a fighter

Comment

Originally posted by encinal View Post
          he breeds as many as he can... And it varies place to place...

A buck in a pen can successfully breed 20...

So deer herds with different ratios are going to have different answers...

The tighter the ratio the fewer does will be bred by an individual...

bingo!

Comment

As many as I could get to stay still long enough when I was younger....

Comment

I'm thinking it has to do with how good looking the does are and if the buck in question likes to party or not.

Comment

3 to 4

Comment

he also said that sence a buck only breeds one doe a year that a spike has on input on your deer herd. So in most cases a ranch owner should take a chance on the young spike to see how he grows off in the next few years. But if hes a older spike like a 21/2
                  or older take him out.
                  He also got fired from the KR because he is an idiot.

He biases his research and ignores what he wants (I know our data is part of many of his projects too).

The KR no longer allows spikes to be killed and it was optional before. Oh and guess what, the leases that did not kill spikes kill bigger deer and a higher number of bigger deer. Duh.

So take what he told you and try to forget it before you become dumber.

The real research suggests that on average a buck will sire something like 1.5 fawns to recruitement age. This does not mean he breeds 1 doe per year. It means on average he has 1.5 fawns that make it to age 1.5 without dying.

So read into it what you want.

I know our deer numbers are so ridiculously out of whack on the king ranch it makes you sick. This year we get to start working on getting the doe numbers back in line. He was letting us kill 7-17 does per year on 11,000 acres. We have been killing 70-120 bucks per year for the last 15 years. Go figure, he's a real genius.

Comment

Originally posted by qzilla View Post
                    He also got fired from the KR because he is an idiot.

He biases his research and ignores what he wants (I know our data is part of many of his projects too).

The KR no longer allows spikes to be killed and it was optional before. Oh and guess what, the leases that did not kill spikes kill bigger deer and a higher number of bigger deer. Duh.

So take what he told you and try to forget it before you become dumber.

The real research suggests that on average a buck will sire something like 1.5 fawns to recruitement age. This does not mean he breeds 1 doe per year. It means on average he has 1.5 fawns that make it to age 1.5 without dying.

So read into it what you want.

I know our deer numbers are so ridiculously out of whack on the king ranch it makes you sick. This year we get to start working on getting the doe numbers back in line. He was letting us kill 7-17 does per year on 11,000 acres. We have been killing 70-120 bucks per year for the last 15 years. Go figure, he's a real genius.
                    Bang, bang, bang...BANG. There are the holes shot in that "theory". Thanks for the insight Quad.

Comment

If he's married and not cheating then that holds a little water......but probably not in the whitetail world...

Comment

I`ve always heard it was in the 2-3 range.

Comment

3 would be my guess. 2 possible during the first cycle of estrus and then if there are does not bred during the first cycle he will catch a third in the second round.

Comment

Originally posted by justhrowit View Post
                            Sounds like marriage

j
                            Lol.

Comment

according to all the gentic research done in south texas, it is said that they average four a year. even when they breed four a yr often when its twins there has been alot of findings that only one of the offspring is theirs. just my two cents.

Comment

Where I hunt the buck doe ratio is about 6 does per 1 buck....Very seldom do you see a doe without at least one fawn so somebody is getting it done.....

-john

Comment

Working...
                                X