No announcement yet.

Hand corning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have one spot out of 4 with no feeder in a hard wood bottom. I hand corn this only and have more deer here than anywhere else on our property. I started putting out 50 lbs on the ground a couple weeks ago and will dump 50 lbs out every week or two until the season starts and then hand corn it when I hunt it. It don't take the pigs long to find it either. Just more targets lol.
    Attached Files

Comment

You can hand throw corn in a spot with or without a feeder.

I like to hand throw corn at a feeder so that they hang around longer and give more shot opportunities.

Throw corn up under bushes, behind trees etc in such a manner that they will have to reposition and turn so you can get a shot.

If you throw corn in a pile they seem to get nervous and can also stand in one spot such as head on and never give you a good shot.

Comment

We feed our areas every time we are there
        I feed upwind and my deer will all end up there and not spook.
        I laugh at the one pound comment .
        More like 25 spread thin for me.

BP

Comment

Big hogs and coyotes eat it as well lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You can hand corn at the base of a bush or behind a rock so that the deer cannot see you draw your bow on them if they are eating.

Comment

Doesn't work. Don't do it.

You should join the 'gun hunters' forum and talk about shooting deer from 10k miles away.

Hand corn and pea gravel doesn't work. Boo

Comment

Originally posted by hogslayer78 View Post
                I have one spot out of 4 with no feeder in a hard wood bottom. I hand corn this only and have more deer here than anywhere else on our property. I started putting out 50 lbs on the ground a couple weeks ago and will dump 50 lbs out every week or two until the season starts and then hand corn it when I hunt it. It don't take the pigs long to find it either. Just more targets lol.
                This is so true on our place as well. I would add using a rubber glove to fill a gallon zip lock bag. When I get to my stand I cut a hole in the bag and spread it around, not in a pile.

Hunting with my longbow I get much closer shots if I don't forget about scent control, even on the corn...

Comment

Originally posted by Live2Hunt View Post
                  This is so true on our place as well. I would add using a rubber glove to fill a gallon zip lock bag. When I get to my stand I cut a hole in the bag and spread it around, not in a pile.

Hunting with my longbow I get much closer shots if I don't forget about scent control, even on the corn...
                  This! I've found that if I handle the corn with my bare hands the deer will ignore the corn.

Comment

Actually, I would forget the corn and use deer pellets as there is a higher digestibility factor for the deer. And for you guys that use a half of a bag, you do realize that you are putting out enough for a couple of dozen deer.

Comment

The key is to spread it out and not make piles of corn, the cows try to eat it but quickly lose interest if it is spread out, I have killed my largest bucks on hand thrown corn not at my feeders

Comment

Hand corn works great. The problem I have had is I will hand corn my shooting lane right before getting in my blind or stand and I have had deer come to the corn but I guess they smell I was there and they back off and leave. And I wear rubber boots.

Comment

I read a thread last year on this topic my battery died on my feeder last year so I gave It a try had so many pictures of deer I have never ever seen around worked well for me

Comment

I've had luck killing doe this way but not good bucks. I've either been on leases with so many deer that any kernel of corn was consumed quickly or on places where even feeders were hit sporadically because the density was so low. If you have lots of deer hand corn works great. If not then chances are you may just watch a pile of corn most sits.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Hand corn is all I do. Corn my spots once a week, and I don't overhunt the same spot. Got have the run and gun mentality. Corn for the right wind and dump out about 50lbs 3 days before your planned hunt. Got to keep them guessing. That also means you have to have the gear to be mobile, or a bunch of spots setup.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Ghost View Post
                                Does anyone "hand corn" when they go hunting? I might give it a try soon. If you do any tips would be great.
                                Okay, you posted this in the Traditional forum... which is fine... especially if you hunt with traditional gear.

I hand corn like a boss!

Especially now that I hunt with traditional gear. Most of the places I hunt have feeders setup for 20+ yard shots. In order to get them in close to 12 yards, I hand corn.

I carry a small drawstring bag with me and spread it out where I want them before climbing into the stand/blind.

I use a cup and don't touch it with my hands to put it in the bag... and I "throw" it out directly from the bag... again, not touching it.

All the deer I have killed have been on hand corn at a feeder... but with the hand corn closer to the blind and outside the feeder pen.

Good luck and welcome to TBH (oh and are you a traditional bow hunter?) If so, welcome to the trad forum too

Comment

Working...
                                X