Which is best

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which is best

What public hunting area has the best chance of someone getting a deer?

Paved roads next to neighborhoods.

Comment

Any after the rush of hunters during opening day.
      I hunt public in December after most hunters have given up.

Comment

The one you go put your time and effort into scouting and finding them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jbhunting39 View Post
          The one you go put your time and effort into scouting and finding them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          +1

Comment

I hear Kansas has some pretty good public lands. And Ohio too.

Comment

I'm wondering what Public lands in Texas has the highest deer population?

Comment

Originally posted by big papa View Post
                I'm wondering what Public lands in Texas has the highest deer population?
                Most likely one of the WMA hunts run by TP&W. Llanno is known as the Whitetail Capital of the world. So you might do a little research around that area to find near by WMAs in that area.
                I hunted Llanno back in the early and mid 1980s. Deer were no bigger than my medium sized dog, for the most part. But it was not uncommon to do a deer drive with a few of the fellers, and kick up deer all day long on the 1200 acre ranch we were hunting. It reminded me of hunting rabbits.

Comment

Oh, and there's several types of public lands in Texas. They ain't all the same, or have the same rules.

Comment

I'm not trying to be ugly, but it takes a lot of work for people to find their public hunting spots. In my experience most biologists are more than willing to talk to you regarding the area, hunting is part of their management program and they know survey results, etc etc. But if someone comes on a public forum and boasts about a public hunting area being great and grand, they only thing that place will become is over hunted.

I'm in the same boat, I have to do a lot of scouting via the internet, but if you shown you've put some work into looking, and have more specific questions ("Can I walk here from this road"?), etc. People will be willing to help out. Just don't ask for all the work somebody else has put in.

Comment

Originally posted by gumbl3 View Post
                      I'm not trying to be ugly, but it takes a lot of work for people to find their public hunting spots. In my experience most biologists are more than willing to talk to you regarding the area, hunting is part of their management program and they know survey results, etc etc. But if someone comes on a public forum and boasts about a public hunting area being great and grand, they only thing that place will become is over hunted.

I'm in the same boat, I have to do a lot of scouting via the internet, but if you shown you've put some work into looking, and have more specific questions ("Can I walk here from this road"?), etc. People will be willing to help out. Just don't ask for all the work somebody else has put in.
                      Yep this is spot on, if you aren't willing to put your part of the work in nobody else is going to be willing to help you out. Public hunting is a lot of work if you want to be successful.

Comment

I would say the Davy Crockett national forest has the highest deer density, but all public lands will have deer, so get out there and start scouting for them.

Comment

Working...
                        X