Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question for musicians (audio/singing equipment)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for musicians (audio/singing equipment)

So I strum an acoustic and I got a nephew who's done the Nashville thing but has been out of it a few years. I'm wanting to get some basic equipment for the house and after some research, I'm kind of clueless on what exactly I need to get? I'm wanting a microphone, amp (?) for the most part and maybe even do a little recording when my nephew comes up. Any info on some good starter equipment would be great and thanks.

Johnny, several amp companies make acoustic guitar amps. Lots of them are geared toward coffee house type singers, so they'll have a channel for a guitar and a 2nd channel for a vocal mic. If you find one that also has a line out jack then you could connect it to a laptop or whatever you want to use to record with.

I've played through Fender, Fishman, Behringer, and some others. I think any of those would likely have something that would fit your needs.

Comment

You can pick up a quality used PA system for pretty cheap. They are good for playing with a couple of people, I don't really play shows anymore, so mine is mostly used for wedding and the like. For home recording, if you have a Mac, Garage Band is pretty decent. If not, you will have to buy a program to record from and do editing and mixing. You can get a preamp to connect to your computer. I think I have extra stuff and everything you need. I'll check my stuff and might be interested in a trade. I just aquired a large amount of equipment.

Comment

Probably not be what you're looking for. I play a Hollow body electric guitar and this little gem has served me very well for a practice amp. Can do it all from an excellent clean tone on up. Has excellent reviews all over.

http://http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/yamaha-thr10-modeling-combo-amp

Comment

Great info. Shane. I'm at Colton's baseball scrimmage so haven't looked over those amps but will later. Will those amps also work with a microphone along with an acoustic?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
            Great info. Shane. I'm at Colton's baseball scrimmage so haven't looked over those amps but will later. Will those amps also work with a microphone along with an acoustic?

Yes. There are lots of 2-channel amps made for a mic and a guitar to be plugged in at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by Jared.King View Post
              You can pick up a quality used PA system for pretty cheap. They are good for playing with a couple of people, I don't really play shows anymore, so mine is mostly used for wedding and the like. For home recording, if you have a Mac, Garage Band is pretty decent. If not, you will have to buy a program to record from and do editing and mixing. You can get a preamp to connect to your computer. I think I have extra stuff and everything you need. I'll check my stuff and might be interested in a trade. I just aquired a large amount of equipment.
              Thanks for the info. I will look into what you are calling preamp since this is all new to me. lol I'm basically wanting a good microphone (with a stand) and something to resonate the sound (voice/guitar).

Comment

Recording equipment is different than amplifying equipment. You need some kind of interface equipment to turn your analog sound coming out of your guitar and microphone into digital information going into the computer. There are cheap options that are very basic, and there are really expensive options for studio quality work.

If you just want to make your vocals and guitar louder, then an acoustic amp is the ticket - plus a mic, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                  Recording equipment is different than amplifying equipment. You need some kind of interface equipment to turn your analog sound coming out of your guitar and microphone into digital information going into the computer. There are cheap options that are very basic, and there are really expensive options for studio quality work.

If you just want to make your vocals and guitar louder, then an acoustic amp is the ticket - plus a mic, of course.
                  Sounds good Shane. I see there is a good music store on the other side of town that should have a good variety of music equipment. I'm going to stop by in there today or tomorrow and probably pick up and amp and a microphone. I will let you know what I get. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
                    So I strum an acoustic and I got a nephew who's done the Nashville thing but has been out of it a few years. I'm wanting to get some basic equipment for the house and after some research, I'm kind of clueless on what exactly I need to get? I'm wanting a microphone, amp (?) for the most part and maybe even do a little recording when my nephew comes up. Any info on some good starter equipment would be great and thanks.
                    amazon sales a lot of recording bundles (mic, stands, sound cards, etc.) something like this

my cousin is about to finish his degree/cert is sound engineering and he uses this audio interface (also sound card). It hooks up to your CPU. He recommends audacity for the recording software, it is free, great for guys like you and me. I have been using it for a month now, its pretty easy. For recording you are going to want a condenser mic, but be aware, it pics up a lot of noise! He also uses a sound proofer just for the mic, but says record in a closet with close hanging works fine if you want to do it on the cheap. Amazon also has sound proofing material for pretty cheap. I am going to make a small booth in the near future.

Comment

I would start with a good little combo amp, you can play and sing through.

It will make things loud enough so your family and friends can help you determine if you are really recording quality. They could save you some money.

Comment

Here's an amp that would fit your bill, Johnny....

Comment

Working...
                        X