Any reel repair guys here?? (Curado)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any reel repair guys here?? (Curado)

I bought a reel at a garage sale for $2. I figured it was worth a gamble. Taking it apart to clean I noticed there is a good amount of play in this part. Its the main brass shaft that everything mounts to. It’s causing the big gear to not mesh with the little gear for the spool very well.......making a slight noise of “loose gears” when turning the handle quickly. Help please

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s a 200DHSV

Comment

Look up diagram to get part# at www.ereplacementparts.com and check www.mikesreelrepair.com for the part.
      Last edited by WBA2000; 07-21-2018, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Did you notice the play before you tore it apart or only after? Any loose screws on the plate that mounts it to the frame? Missing any bearings?

The plastic side cap and bearing that mounts over that should help keep that stem aligned and tight when it's all put back together

Comment

Originally posted by mooch View Post
          Did you notice the play before you tore it apart or only after? Any loose screws on the plate that mounts it to the frame? Missing any bearings?

The plastic side cap and bearing that mounts over that should help keep that stem aligned and tight when it's all put back together

I never took that off. Initially. I took it off afterwards to see why there was so much play.
          I see this.

Comment

That is a c-clip, copper washer, plastic bearing, then gear. There is a lot of play in all of it

Comment

Send it to them or buy the parts and do it yourself

I would think a good (you can even upgrade from stock) set of bearings is what it needs
              Hard to tell without hands on and I am by no means a reel repair guy

Comment

I've rebuilt a ton of those. They all have play. Not sure how you are describing play though. Take the bearing off, does it fit snugly in the plastic frame? Does the bearing wobble on the shaft? Otherwise, all that play is there on a brand new reel.
                Also, some good marine grease and you shouldn't hear those gears. I've never seen one, and can't imagine someone fishing one enough to wear out that bearing and shaft the way I imagine it, when you describe it.
                Without having it in my hands, it's all just a guess though.
                As mentioned, Southwest in D Town is a good spot for service and parts locally. I buy most mine off E Replacements Parts online.
                Good luck.

Comment

Fix your CU-200DHSV Curado Low-Profile Baitcasting Reel today! We offer OEM parts, detailed model diagrams, symptom-based repair help, and video tutorials to make repairs easy.

It's supposed to have some play in it. If it's excessive, I'd remove the c-clip and check the bushing to ensure it's not deteriorated and falling apart or that the hole is wallowed out. If it is, replace it with #3521 in the diagram (part BNT3521).

When you put the side cover back on, along with the roller clutch bearing - 2396 on the diagram (part BNT5051) that mounts in the side cover, it should tighten that whole assembly back up. With the cover / roller clutch bearing removed, there is nothing to keep it straight, so when you turn the shaft if you are not keeping it perfectly straight (nearly impossible to do free hand), the main gear will not be engaging the other gear fully and evenly. That's completely natural.

If the reel was working fine before you took the cover off - but it was just making noise, I would clean it and ensure you don't have any corroded bearings. The two that are usually suspect are the left (Part BNT4343) and right side cover bearings (also Part BNT4343) - which have the number "194" in the diagram. The line guide pawl - 42 on the diagram (Part TGT0520) also sometimes gets worn and needs replacing. If that is the case, make sure you completely clean the worm shaft and re-grease before installing the new one.

All the best,
                  Glenn

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                    I've rebuilt a ton of those. They all have play. Not sure how you are describing play though. Take the bearing off, does it fit snugly in the plastic frame? Does the bearing wobble on the shaft? Otherwise, all that play is there on a brand new reel.
                    Also, some good marine grease and you shouldn't hear those gears. I've never seen one, and can't imagine someone fishing one enough to wear out that bearing and shaft the way I imagine it, when you describe it.
                    Without having it in my hands, it's all just a guess though.
                    As mentioned, Southwest in D Town is a good spot for service and parts locally. I buy most mine off E Replacements Parts online.
                    Good luck.

I ordered a replacement bushing from E-parts. There is no bearing there. It’s just a plastic bushing.

Comment

That sound more than likely is the free spool knockout stuck half way... in other words the thumb button doesn't come completely back up. Grease it up and polish off all the green corrosion and it should be good. I have had several do this because I am horrible about taking care of my reels.

From the pics there is nothing that looks bad...

Comment

In the last pic posted the problem is the silver piece with two “posts” and the spool shaft is between them. The back post looks like it is bubbled with corrosion. That will cause the free spool knockout to stick. Polish that or order a new one and it should stop the noise.

Comment

Originally posted by cajuntec View Post
                          https://www.ereplacementparts.com/sh...03_200629.html

It's supposed to have some play in it. If it's excessive, I'd remove the c-clip and check the bushing to ensure it's not deteriorated and falling apart or that the hole is wallowed out. If it is, replace it with #3521 in the diagram (part BNT3521).

When you put the side cover back on, along with the roller clutch bearing - 2396 on the diagram (part BNT5051) that mounts in the side cover, it should tighten that whole assembly back up. With the cover / roller clutch bearing removed, there is nothing to keep it straight, so when you turn the shaft if you are not keeping it perfectly straight (nearly impossible to do free hand), the main gear will not be engaging the other gear fully and evenly. That's completely natural.

If the reel was working fine before you took the cover off - but it was just making noise, I would clean it and ensure you don't have any corroded bearings. The two that are usually suspect are the left (Part BNT4343) and right side cover bearings (also Part BNT4343) - which have the number "194" in the diagram. The line guide pawl - 42 on the diagram (Part TGT0520) also sometimes gets worn and needs replacing. If that is the case, make sure you completely clean the worm shaft and re-grease before installing the new one.

All the best,
                          Glenn

Do I need to apply grease to main gear and pinion gear? If so what kind??

Comment

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
                            Do I need to apply grease to main gear and pinion gear? If so what kind??

Yes, grease on the gears but remember a little goes a long way. Too much will make it "sticky". I worked at a tackle shop when I was a kid and we used the grease shimano made...it always worked well. Not sure where you can buy it though. Grease about 1/4" or less of the main gear and it'll distribute evenly when you get it all back together and turn the handle a few times.

You can dip the pawl in grease before inserting it on the worm gear and that should be enough to distribute and cover the worm gear enough.

Load up the cloth drag washer with grease also. Push the metal washer back on top and wipe off any excess that comes out.

If you have some rough bearings you can toss them in a bottle of rubbing alcohol, shake them around, let them sit, and shake them again. Dry them off and apply some good oil to them. This can save you some $ if the bearings aren't too bad yet. Might need to just replace them though.

If there's any corroded parts, toss them in a little bit of CLR to clean them up.

Bushings shouldn't be bad. Just clean off any corrosion, drop some oil on them, and put them back in.

Comment

that part will have play in it when the reel is disassembled.

don't over do the grease or oil on the bearings. one drop on a bearing is plenty. the manner above for applying grease on the gears is also accurate.

all those plastic gears do is move the level wind back and forth. the brass gear is the main drive gear.
                              Last edited by kyle1974; 07-22-2018, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X