Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scar 20s

Anyone else looking at these?

FN Announces Release of FN SCAR 20S Precision Rifle (McLean, VA – November 6, 2018) FN America, LLC is pleased to announce the release of the highly-anticipated FN SCAR® 20S precision rifle, based on the FN MK20 SSR or Sniper Support Rifle currently fielded within USSOCOM. The 7.62x51mm-chambered rifle has been purpose-built to achieve superior […]

SCARs were less interesting before because of the "if you work at it, you can almost get them down to MOA" accuracy reports. But an accurate SCAR seems quite interesting.

Is there another complete semi-auto in 7.62/.308 that compares? Gas is not a problem, but from my perspective comparing it to a Proof frankenrifle would be apples and oranges.

purdy............

Comment

Awesome looking gun. But man that's heavy....

Comment

12 twist, 12lb and gonna cost $2500 or more. I’m out.

I’d be looking at a DPMS gen 2, DD, RRA, or a LaRue.
        Last edited by TacticalCowboy; 11-09-2018, 01:24 PM.

Comment

nah

Comment

I have a 17 & it shoots fine for what I what I need it for which is a defensive / battle type gun...like it way better than the AR-10.

Comment

I am not seeing the advantage over one of the ar 10 variants

Comment

If I was dropping that kind of coin looking for something to fill that role I'd get an SR25 every day of the week over that.

Comment

Originally posted by RJH1 View Post
                  I am not seeing the advantage over one of the ar 10 variants
                  I guess it's subjective...have you shot both?? I had an Armalite & it was a boat anchor compared to the SCAR. Sean has a thread on here with a light POF build that was a good option to other 10's. I like the ergonomics of the 17 & think it's one of the best 308 battle rifles around. I did upgrade the trigger though.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                    I guess it's subjective...have you shot both?? I had an Armalite & it was a boat anchor compared to the SCAR. Sean has a thread on here with a light POF build that was a good option to other 10's. I like the ergonomics of the 17 & think it's one of the best 308 battle rifles around. I did upgrade the trigger though.

I don't think i have shot one of the scars, i always looked at them and thought, this seems pricey compared to an AR, and never went any further. I *think* i remembering seeing way back that they weren't generally as accurate as an AR, but that could have changed for sure by now. You are correct on the subjective part, I always have liked M1As better than AR10s but the same thing keeps me from buying them too. I do like the side charging on that SCAR though. If you pick one up let us know how it shoots

Comment

Originally posted by RJH1 View Post
                      I don't think i have shot one of the scars, i always looked at them and thought, this seems pricey compared to an AR, and never went any further. I *think* i remembering seeing way back that they weren't generally as accurate as an AR, but that could have changed for sure by now. You are correct on the subjective part, I always have liked M1As better than AR10s but the same thing keeps me from buying them too. I do like the side charging on that SCAR though. If you pick one up let us know how it shoots
                      That one in the pic is mine...I haven't shot it since the recent changes. I'll be playing with it more now the season is here. I shortened up the bbl to a little over 16" & put a good trigger & added the 1-6 Leupy.

I think the 20 the OP has linked is more for the target shooter vs the 17 as a fighter...I'm only shooting XM80 & not really looking for extreme accuracy vs running like a sewing machine.

Comment

The SCAR17s will hit steel at 1000 yrds .... love mine

See more of this setup on David’s YouTube channel! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjND3Pnob_TwKsQnRCXqjwwCheck out David’s Instagram here; https://www.inst...

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
                          12 twist, 12lb and gonna cost $2500 or more. I’m out.

I’d be looking at a DPMS gen 2, DD, RRA, or a LaRue.
                          It's gonna be way north of 2500. MSRP of 4500. They will be hard to get as well, much like the present Scar 17. I doubt you will even be able to get one for 4500. Crazy. Can get a danged nice rifle with glass for that money.

Comment

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
                            Anyone else looking at these?

FN Announces Release of FN SCAR 20S Precision Rifle (McLean, VA – November 6, 2018) FN America, LLC is pleased to announce the release of the highly-anticipated FN SCAR® 20S precision rifle, based on the FN MK20 SSR or Sniper Support Rifle currently fielded within USSOCOM. The 7.62x51mm-chambered rifle has been purpose-built to achieve superior […]

SCARs were less interesting before because of the "if you work at it, you can almost get them down to MOA" accuracy reports. But an accurate SCAR seems quite interesting.

Is there another complete semi-auto in 7.62/.308 that compares? Gas is not a problem, but from my perspective comparing it to a Proof frankenrifle would be apples and oranges.
                            Yes, my HK 91 will shoot sub MOA. I was going to sell it about 10 years ago and buy whatever LWRC had at the time in 308...but didn’t, because it was sub MOA.

My dad paid 500 bucks for it in 83. I will die owning that rifle, never gonna part with it...unless offered 10k

Comment

Originally posted by roughneck266 View Post
                              It's gonna be way north of 2500. MSRP of 4500. They will be hard to get as well, much like the present Scar 17. I doubt you will even be able to get one for 4500. Crazy. Can get a danged nice rifle with glass for that money.
                              Got to looking at that MSRP after I posted that; I was guesstimating based off of the scar 16s.. sheesh that’s a ridiculous amount of cash

$4500 would buy a **** fine bolt setup plus a helluva .308 semi auto...

Comment

Working...
                              X