No announcement yet.

Caliber Debate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I had to choose it would be .270.... just because I have killed many of deer with one. But like others have said.... I’d either go big or tiny. .204,22-250,17, or 7mm, 338, 375, 300

Comment

300 WSM

.270 and 30-06 are so close to what you have, get something with some ummph that still lends itself to taking animals effectively all over the world

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BitBackShot View Post
        Research has statistically shown that while a 30-06 has a 91% fatality rate on whitetail deer in Texas for animals that were hit, the .270 suffers only a 7% chance of killing even the smallest field mouse.

The answer seems obviously, but you have to decide on your own.
        Verifiable 100 percent truth

Comment

There's not enough difference between a 308, 270 and 30-06 to matter.

If you want one of the two, I'd go with the 06 and run 180's. If you reload, go with a 280AI or a 30-06AI which doesn't seem to get the love it deserves.

What you really need is a magnum and that should start with the most versatile of them all the 7rm and go up from there. If it's for Elk and such, I'd be looking at a 300 mag of some sorts. I have all the normal sized stuff you listed summed up pretty good and I'm having a want for a mid-weight 300 RUM. Something in the 8-9 pound range scoped.

Not sure what your inside joke is with Mason but you asked.

Comment

460 nitro in all seriousness 3006

Comment

Originally posted by droptine8850 View Post
              I'd go 30-06 if I had to choose between the two, even though I have two 270's and only one 30-06. 243 covers predators up to deer, if needed. 6.5 and 308 can do the same, but also pull range duty. 270's are great deer guns but I want a bigger bullet for bigger critters. I prefer a 300 mag over 30-06.
              Ummm, pretty sure a .300 mag and a .30-06 are the same size bullet and come in the same weight. The mag case is bigger and holds more powder but the bullets are the exact same.

Comment

.270. While a trajectory that is similar can be achieved with proper loads, under 150 yards the 30-06 packs a bigger punch, but after the 100 yard mark the 270 Win has a bigger punch. You carry energy further and can take that long shot if you need to.

Comment

30-06

Comment

Originally posted by ren087 View Post
                    .270. While a trajectory that is similar can be achieved with proper loads, under 150 yards the 30-06 packs a bigger punch, but after the 100 yard mark the 270 Win has a bigger punch. You carry energy further and can take that long shot if you need to.

This is hilarious, even more so if you believe it

Comment

30-06 cuz u kan go hevy. and hevy is mo bedder

Comment

Originally posted by xman59 View Post
                        30-06,,, its flatter than most people think, can carry a much heavier bullet and has been getting the job done for over 100 years.... better variety of bullets also
                        agreed ... people still under-rating the .06, wish I still had mine. Use a .270 now and like it very much because of its accuracy, but would gladly add an .06 back to my closet in a minute. Reloading for it is satisfying with the 168 grn. Sierras and Noslers, one of the most accurate rounds anywhere.

Comment

.30-06 bc I am weird and like the numbers better than .270.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                            If it's not illegal to own a creedmore before a 30-06....it should be!

30-06 is very far down on the list of calibers that I want. I also have a 6.5 creed and no 30-06.

Comment

Originally posted by ren087 View Post
                              huh?

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                                This!

And if you reload then make it 280 AI and be done
                                Really a nice caliber. I have both 270 and 30-06 and have taken numerous game animals with both. I prefered the 30-06 but as I have gotten older didn't like the recoil. I have a friend that shoots the .280 AI and after studying the balistics etc. I had APR build one. I love it, low recoil and terminally deadly. I now have two of them. Great caliber and ammunition is becoming much more available due to popularity.

Comment

Working...
                                X