No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LQ Wyoming tag for the both of us in a great archery and wintering area within an hour of home. The season goes until Nov. 14 this year and if no big bulls last half of Sept or Oct 1 opening day we'll wait for the snow and go in and hunt them as they flood down to the public land wintering area. This season should be very interesting for this LQ tag, big bulls should get taken, and quite a few if folks are patient.

Comment

Anybody else still waiting on their CO tag? Hunting partner got his yesterday and my carrier just left me with a box of junk again today. Mail delivery in my neighborhood has been terrible to put it nicely. About to hit the panic button

Comment

I’m a newbie to western hunting. So i have some stupid questions. Wilderness areas are legal to hunt as long as they are in your GMU? Anything else special about Wilderness areas besides no motorized vehicles? Also, do you have to park in certain places when on national parks or wilderness areas? I’m not seeing many camping or parking areas listed on any maps.

Comment

Originally posted by TexaRican View Post
          Anybody else still waiting on their CO tag? Hunting partner got his yesterday and my carrier just left me with a box of junk again today. Mail delivery in my neighborhood has been terrible to put it nicely. About to hit the panic button
          I am in the same boat. My buddy and I are both still waiting on our tags. I contacted CPW, they said they don't consider tags lost in the mail until 30 days after they sent it out. They sent out tags on the 20th I believe, and re-issuance can take place.

Comment

Inside 2 months!!

It will be me and a buddy's first elk hunts. Both of us have been working hard to get in shape so that we don't handicap ourselves. Going OTC so the odds are already going to be tough. I'm down 35 lbs on the year and feelin pretty good, really been ramping up the training here lately. Been climbing steps twice a week in additional to hitting the gym and other cardio. Went up and down 1000 stairs with 90lb pack yesterday and going to keep adding weight as my body lets me until its time to head out. The way I'm looking at it is if i cant prepare for the altitude I can at least prep with a bunch of weight. Ready for it to be September already.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
              I am in the same boat. My buddy and I are both still waiting on our tags. I contacted CPW, they said they don't consider tags lost in the mail until 30 days after they sent it out. They sent out tags on the 20th I believe, and re-issuance can take place.

Received my Colorado deer tag yesterday. I was starting to worry about it a bit.

Comment

My roommate's came in today but not mine.

Comment

Originally posted by RdRdrFan View Post
                  Received my Colorado deer tag yesterday. I was starting to worry about it a bit.
                  Glad we aren't the only ones. I figured with this new system, there would be some hiccups anyways.

Comment

Mine showed up yesterday!!

Comment

Mine showed up yesterday as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Puncher51 View Post
                        I’m a newbie to western hunting. So i have some stupid questions. Wilderness areas are legal to hunt as long as they are in your GMU? Anything else special about Wilderness areas besides no motorized vehicles? Also, do you have to park in certain places when on national parks or wilderness areas? I’m not seeing many camping or parking areas listed on any maps.

Hey Puncher, each wilderness area is a little different and could have different rules, so you’ll want to check the website for your specific area. For example, one wilderness area I hunt has a rule prohibiting fires within a certain distance of timberline. In Wyoming, non residents can’t hunt a wilderness area without a resident guide. Generally, If the wilderness area is in your GMU, you can hunt it. Regarding vehicles, all wilderness areas will be no vehicle areas, meaning no motorized vehicles. Some (maybe all) prohibit anything with wheels...bikes, game carts, etc. Usually, anywhere you see a trail on a map leading into a wilderness area, the trailhead will have at least a small parking area, and some signage indicating what the rules and regs are for that area.

Hunting is not allowed in National Parks, so I assume you meant national forests. For the most part, national forests have a system of roads throughout. Most that I have been in prohibit driving off any established roads. Each forest also has separate rules, so you’ll want to check their website or call the forest service office. In fact, if you call, they can probably give you the specific answers to all of your questions.

Enjoy the trip. No matter how the hunt goes, it is always an adventure hunting out west.

Comment

Originally posted by J Wales View Post
                          Hey Puncher, each wilderness area is a little different and could have different rules, so you’ll want to check the website for your specific area. For example, one wilderness area I hunt has a rule prohibiting fires within a certain distance of timberline. In Wyoming, non residents can’t hunt a wilderness area without a resident guide. Generally, If the wilderness area is in your GMU, you can hunt it. Regarding vehicles, all wilderness areas will be no vehicle areas, meaning no motorized vehicles. Some (maybe all) prohibit anything with wheels...bikes, game carts, etc. Usually, anywhere you see a trail on a map leading into a wilderness area, the trailhead will have at least a small parking area, and some signage indicating what the rules and regs are for that area.

Hunting is not allowed in National Parks, so I assume you meant national forests. For the most part, national forests have a system of roads throughout. Most that I have been in prohibit driving off any established roads. Each forest also has separate rules, so you’ll want to check their website or call the forest service office. In fact, if you call, they can probably give you the specific answers to all of your questions.

Enjoy the trip. No matter how the hunt goes, it is always an adventure hunting out west.
                          Haha, sorry, yes National Forests. I totally missed that when I posted.
                          Thank you very much for the info! I’ll call the office and get further info! Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by krausejmk View Post
                            Mine showed up yesterday!!

I’ll be next door to you in 54! My buddy will be in 55 again. I hunted that the last two years during muzzleloader

Pm me if you got any questions

Comment

The Elk Thread

See now if I hadn’t come crying on TBH about it, wouldn’t have shown up today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by tbeak View Post
                                I’ll be next door to you in 54! My buddy will be in 55 again. I hunted that the last two years during muzzleloader

Pm me if you got any questions

PM him Jeff!!! [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

You got no idea how many questions we have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X