How do you rig your bowfishing arrow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you rig your bowfishing arrow?

I just about killed myself when trying to bowfish last weekend. I had bought a simple bowfishing kit (see pic) a couple years ago and never really used it until last weekend. It is the grey colored self-wind reel and a fiberglass arrow.

I rigged the string at the back of the arrow where the hole was and was extremely cautious when readying to shoot. A couple times the sting somehow snagged on something....not sure what...and slingshotted back hitting me a couple times and once enough to break the skin.

Anyone have this similar reel and some recommendations on rigging the string to the arrow?? Last thing I want to do is get hit in the mouth or even worse the eye.
    Attached Files

Use the safety slides on your bowfishing arrows. It keeps the string out front and away from the bow string and cables(on a compound). I am not a fan of the hand reels but they work.

Comment

Safety slides for sure!! I use spin reels for everything but big gar and then I use ams sloted retrievers.

Comment

Safety slides system! You're gonna end up hurtin yourself! I only use AMS retriever pro's or big game

Comment

I have never used safety slides and use spincast reels. I also have never had an arrow pop back at me, I always keep my string reeled up tight so when I go to draw if somehow the button isn't pushed the arrow will just come un nocked and keep the drag backed way off so it will still shoot even if the button isn't pushed in

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
            I have never used safety slides and use spincast reels. I also have never had an arrow pop back at me, I always keep my string reeled up tight so when I go to draw if somehow the button isn't pushed the arrow will just come un nocked and keep the drag backed way off so it will still shoot even if the button isn't pushed in
            I have done the same just always reel up the slack

Comment

I posted a pic of how I made my own saftey slides because you will not enjoy buying them they are high, I belive it is on a thread called crossbow finished and its near the bottom.

Comment

I use a zebco 888 and never had a problem with the arrow coming back. Even the couple of times I forgot to push the button the 200lb fast flight string snapped and the 10 dollar arrow just kept going. I mostly tie to the nock end of the arrow but I do have a few with the cable set up for hunting the big boys. Suggestion - get a real reel.

Comment

Safety slides!!!!! Gotta have them!!!!!

Comment

X10,000 on the safety slides........snapbacks can, and have, killed people.

Stu

Comment

Originally posted by Cottonfish View Post

Stu
                      They have killed people?

Comment

safety slides for sure

Comment

I just put the string through the hole at the back of the arrow.You just have to make sure you have plenty of slack in the string or it will bounce back sometimes.I've also accidently forgot where the string was and had my wrist through the loop where I had slack in the string and that does'nt feel too good either.I've also had times when the string snapped because I did'nt have enough slack in the string.Thats never fun when you're shootin into deeper water because those arrows sink.I might have to get some of those safety slides though that would probably be a better deal than havin to worry about the arrow coming back all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Cottonfish View Post

Stu
                            killed people? I have a hard time believing that

Comment

Originally posted by aggiearcher09 View Post
                              They have killed people?
                              Couple of years ago, a guy up in NE Louisiana (I think he bought Tidwell's old fan boat) was practicing from the bow of his boat as it sat on the trailer in his yard. Line was tied with a loop to the back of the arrow shaft, snapback came back into his eye and penetrated the brain cavity. DRT. It was on all the bowfishing websites at the time.

Stu

Comment

Working...
                              X