Thoughts on these feeders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts on these feeders?

Several months back A friend and I decided we wanted a larger capacity drum than a standard #55 gallon, and still be easy enough to transport and set up by ourselves in the field. This is what we came up with. This drum will hold #650lbs of feed (13 sacks) and I have a larger, and smaller size available as well. The ladder can be removed when not filling. Needless to say we were happy with the results and his entrepreneurial spirit kicked in, and now we’re interested in what others think? What would one expect to pay for this? We are not selling these, and may never, but depending on the feedback here and elsewhere may help us decide where it goes from here.

I think they look good and like how much they hold!

Comment

I like them.

Comment

I know that container and style of feeder has been on TBH for awhile.....moreso back in the 200Xs. Casey used to own one and maybe still does. I seem to remember him posting a picture of it recently. I remember seeing them in the Big *** Feeder Club, TBH used to have.

Anyway...seems to be a nice feeder. The plastic aspect would concern me with our squirrels and coons....but ifr they can beat that they should be long lasting.

Comment

Looks real good
          Plastic tends to crack and warp with long exposures to the elements. Might add thin plate to bottom for motor attachment ( just for durability ) but I'd imagine a lot of folks would pay significant money for them

Comment

I like them.
            Can’t tell what the lid is like, but if the ladder is removeable I like it
            Simple pvc keeps squirrels and coons away then.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
              I know that container and style of feeder has been on TBH for awhile.....moreso back in the 200Xs. Casey used to own one and maybe still does. I seem to remember him posting a picture of it recently. I remember seeing them in the Big *** Feeder Club, TBH used to have.

Anyway...seems to be a nice feeder. The plastic aspect would concern me with our squirrels and coons....but ifr they can beat that they should be long lasting.
              I hadn’t seen another made with these. And the squirrels were my concern too, until he showed me a crude version using the same type drum for 10 years in East Texas without damage. Possible, yes...but the plastic is heavy duty...designed to secure a leaking 55gallon drum securely for disposal.

Comment

Very creative, but would not be a feeder I would buy. I’m not a fan of the lid and don’t like climbing ladders to fill feeders anymore. You still have way more talent than me at building feeders though.

Comment

Here you go Elkaholic. Yours rack is definitely more detail and user friendly.

Even the Big Feeder Club used one in its logo.

Click image for larger version

Name:	bigfeeder.gif
Views:	4
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	24534047

Comment

If i ever used plastic this would def be an option I’d look into

Comment

I’m not a fan of ladders. For me, it doesn’t get much easier than a 600 lb All Seasons stand and fill. I can move one and fill it by myself...and not have to carry a dozen corn sacks up a ladder.

Comment

Plastic gets chewed as pointed out. Also I'm just no longer a fan of a feeder I have to climb a ladder to fill. Too dangerous and unnecessary with the quality stand and fills available.
                        The majority of those you slide out of the truck bed, drag into place and fill n go.

I'm sure that they will work. The three legs plus ladder will help it be solid.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Here you go Elkaholic. Yours rack is definitely more detail and user friendly.

Even the Big Feeder Club used one in its logo.

[ATTACH]900456[/ATTACH]
                          News to me, what exactly is the Big Feeder Club? Though I wish I were the only person smart enough to use overpacks as feeder drums, I may be the first to have access to the factory and a fab shop.

Comment

Originally posted by elkaholic9292 View Post
                            News to me, what exactly is the Big Feeder Club? Though I wish I were the only person smart enough to use overpacks as feeder drums, I may be the first to have access to the factory and a fab shop.
                            It was just a TBH group of folks that had big feeders. Nothing really organized. If you got a big feeder folks said "welcome to the big feeder club". It went by the wayside like most unique things on TBH when they run their course. .
                            Last edited by Smart; 03-13-2018, 09:25 PM.

Comment

It was just a TBH group of folks that had big feeders. Nothing really organized. If you got a big feeder folks said "welcome to the big feeder club". It went by the wayside like most unique things on TBH when they run their course. .
                              Ah...thanks for clarifying. I’ve seen some good ones come and go, but missed that one. This may be a chance for everyone to join. Also, we built a stand and fill model, I don’t have a pic on my phone, will post later.

Comment

Working...
                              X