Matador WMA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matador WMA

Hey guys! I am heading to Matador WMA this weekend for a doe hunt and was wondering what tips anyone had to be successfull. I have read some of the posts about Matador but was wondering how you all would approach it. Do you get up on high ground, do you hunt the windmills, river bottom?? Thanks for the info and hopefully I can put a few more in the freezer!

Hunt the food plots. Most pastures have at least a small wheat field. There are some large wheat fields on private land across the fence around the northeast pastures. If you get one of those pastures, hunt a trail going to one of those. Maybe they will let you put out corn or protein now that dove season is over. If so, that will help too.

Water holes are good too, of course. If you want to spot and stalk, you'd stand a decent chance of connecting. It's a much more fun way to hunt, but there aren't many roads through the place, and they won't let you get a vehicle off the roads. If you kill something back in a remote area, you have to drag it out to the road. Kinda spoils the fun of a spot and stalk hunt - especially for a doe (at least it would for me).

Comment

Good stuff Shane. Thanks for the input! Do you know if they allow fires at the camping area? I can't wait to get to explore some new territory and hopefully get some good pictures out in the field. I will deffinately be giving the Lglass some work.

Comment

Fires were allowed in October. Not sure about now, but you can call them and find out. Looking forward to the pics.

Comment

Well, how was the hunting? Did anyone score on a big ole Buck?

Comment

Sorry lights out, didn't see this until now. I got back from the mule deer gun hunt early Saturday A.M. My group had a great hunt. Three nice muleys and a great 8pt. whitetail. Hope your doe hunt was good too.
            Attached Files

Comment

Sounds great, Congratulations.

Comment

nice, not a bad days work

Comment

Looks like your group did pretty well, have to keep you in mind if we ever get lucky enough to draw that area!!!

Comment

nice!

Comment

Working...
                    X