Trickle Hand Corning Tip.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trickle Hand Corning Tip.

Here is a really good tip I received prior to going on a trip to our lease in S. Texas that worked very well.

Where we hunt, the bucks do not hit the feeders very well at all. Mainly due to it being over pressured by the previous Leasees.

I asked a buddy of mine who used to run a well known bow only day hunting place for advice.

His tip was to just lightly trickle corn on the sendero 200 yards before and 200 yards past the blind. He said no more than 10 pounds over the entire 400 yards.
    Then once in front of your shooting window put a couple handfuls on the opposite side of the sendero in the brush/tall grass or under the cross fence but don't pile it up. Make them work for it. This will also hide their eyes when you go to draw.

So after some thought I realized a regular road feeder will not work for this, I needed something that I could control the flow rate as well as keep the corn in the road and not all over the place. I found the below feeder online and ordered it.

Once received I realized I had to limit the flow rate as there would be no way for me to tug the line at a consistent tightness.

I added some plastic conduit material and then heat shrinked over it to make it more rigid.

Now when at full pull the corn only lightly trickles out when I'm driving.

I also added a brushblocker to the feeder so nothing would damage it when I'm backing up.

Next I built a really good brush blind out of a half fallen down mesquite tree/brush pile.

I used green wind fencing like what is used at a job site and military mesh plus a ton of zip ties.

I hunted this set only 2 hours after completing and had deer in my widow that afternoon.

Both the blind and feeder worked flawlessly and even though I did not shoot a deer I did have over 30 shot opportunities present themselves. (I didn't want to shoot a doe because the rut was just starting and none of the 15 different bucks I saw were shooters according to the lease rules)

Every sit I would watch as the deer would pick up the corn trail and just feed all the way to the blind, once in my window they would find the hidden pile and start feeding head down and broadside.

Hope this helps.
    Attached Files

I like everything about the set up and the feeder. Well done.

Comment

Nicely done. Nice setup

Comment

Very cool.

Comment

Good work, McGyver!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

So, if I understand this right... you want a thin line trail of corn before/after and not broadcasted... only broadcasted at the shooting area.

Right?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
              So, if I understand this right... you want a thin line trail of corn before/after and not broadcasted... only broadcasted at the shooting area.

Right?

Very thin line dropped not broadcasted. Thin as in 3 or 4 kernels every couple of yards or so.

Then in your window throw a quart or less off the side of the road in the short brush, not in the road. Make them find it. They will walk in nosedown searching for the next kernel and then find the stash.

Every hunt I watched deer feed right to me. Almost every deer I saw ended up in my window at some point.

Broadcasting with a road feeder has them searching to much where you don't want them.

Make sure your boots are clean.

I was spraying my boots down well and mixed up some cow s*** with water in a cheap toolbox/tackle box and dipped the soles in it before walking in. The tackle box keeps the s*** from sloshing and getting in the bed of your truck.

Comment

Great idea and awesome blind! Great work

Comment

I like that. However it will not work for me. My question is about your camera. Is that a dove decoy you use to hide it? That sir is genius if that is what you do. I would like more info on this. You can PM me if you would rather.

Comment

Originally posted by Chasing_bone View Post
                    I like that. However it will not work for me. My question is about your camera. Is that a dove decoy you use to hide it? That sir is genius if that is what you do. I would like more info on this. You can PM me if you would rather.

Works really well when you make a little noise.

Comment

Your ingenuity is top notch as always. Always enjoy a ballgame thread

Comment

Originally posted by ballgame View Post
                        http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=630112

Works really well when you make a little noise.
                        That is awesome. Thank you for the link. I just subscribed to it. You sir have a great mind.

Comment

Makes sense...the blind is Awesome! I too like the confidence Dove decoy ; )

Comment

Originally posted by ballgame View Post
                            Very thin line dropped not broadcasted. Thin as in 3 or 4 kernels every couple of yards or so.

Then in your window throw a quart or less off the side of the road in the short brush, not in the road. Make them find it. They will walk in nosedown searching for the next kernel and then find the stash.

Every hunt I watched deer feed right to me. Almost every deer I saw ended up in my window at some point.

Broadcasting with a road feeder has them searching to much where you don't want them.

Make sure your boots are clean.

I was spraying my boots down well and mixed up some cow s*** with water in a cheap toolbox/tackle box and dipped the soles in it before walking in. The tackle box keeps the s*** from sloshing and getting in the bed of your truck.
                            Okay... that is what I thought you were saying... but the 10lbs was throwing me off. Thanks for the tip. I have experimented with similiar strategies on a smaller scale (not a sandero) with mixed results. Thought about trying it the other weekend, but tried something different. It took an extra sit to get the deer into the zone. I should have sprinkled from further away.

Comment

Awesome this is exactly what I want. I’ll be ordering one soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X