Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Home construction guys, flooded home remodeling question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home construction guys, flooded home remodeling question.

Our home was flooded and we are doing some remodeling since this is the time to do it.

We removed a closed in wet bar area to open up our kitchen area into the living room. Our contractor told us that we should not need a support post.

When I showed up to the house this evening there was a post installed. My wife really doesn’t not want a post.

Is there anything we can do so that we can get rid of the post? We always see people on tv install beams but I know it can’t be that easy. It is a two story home and the stairs run above this area.

This is the only picture I grabbed because I was in a rush. I know it’s not very good but plan to get more tomorrow. The horizontal beam In the picture is actually in the living and is decorative. It’s not attached to the post like it appears to be in the picture.

Any help or suggestions is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If they put the post there, it's likely because they found out the support is actually needed. Ask them tomorrow.

Comment

They should be able to put a laminated beam and remove the post.

Comment

Surely they could put in a beam instead of a column. Might have to be an exposed beam though. Not sure how it would flow with the others...

Comment

Hard to tell in that pic....but yes more than likely something can be done to get rid of that post. I would recommend you get with your builder and have an engineer take a look at it to come up with a solution.

Comment

We are going through the same exact thing. Flooded home and remodeling now since everything is already gutted. We had a hidden load bearing post that was in a wall we are demoing. We were going to leave it and build around it but it was going to be an eye sore so we have decide to put in a 15 foot beam instead. The beam installed is $2500. Hoping to get it installed in the next 2 weeks.

Looking at your pic though I can't see why that post is there since it doesn't appear that there was an existing load bearing post before demoing the wet bar.

You could always get a structural engineer to come check for about $150. Regardless, if you have to have something to support the load you can opt for a beam over that post but it's pricey.

I'm just a home owner not a builder or anything so this is just from my recent experience.

Comment

Thanks guys. I will talk to the contractor tomorrow. Sounds like a beam might be an option. I’ll try to grab better pictures too

Comment

It looks like that iss one doubled LVL that runs from the outside wall and sat on top of that old closet wall. At the post, there's another doubled LVL running the other direction. The post serves as the LBW that was taken out to carry that LVL. Just got to get you a couple longer beams for the first one that will go from outside wall past the post to the next wall, cut that double loose and any joists that are hangered to it to that short beam. Then it's a matter of getting the old out and new in. You'll have to take a bunch of sheetrock out and I'm sure the subfloor is glued to it above. It's doable but gonna be a PITA

Comment

Thanks guys. Sounds like y’all are correct. My contractor is going to get me a bid on a large beam that has steel plates built into it. From there he can tell me what it will cost to install. He figures about 18 feet.

Comment

Working...
                  X