My Opening Morning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Opening Morning

Having been blessed to live in the country, I was able to drink coffee and browse the internet on Saturday morning until 7:00 AM. No drive to a lease or an Allsup's gut bomb burrito for me, even though I do miss that part of deer hunting. I get out of the chair shortly after seven and put on my camo only to find that over the course of the past nine months, the pants shrunk to where it is impossible to button them. Oh well, no one to see so just move on. I grab my bow and head out the door as it is just light enough to see where I'm putting my feet. A doe and her two young ones watch me for a few seconds as I head towards the gate they are standing next to, then they trot off in a direction that I have no intention of going, so no harm done. I walk to the east on a cow path and realize that I really am going blind in old age, as I can't see much of anything other than the glow on the horizon. I decide to stop and let the light get better. I take a couple of pictures of the glorious sunrise and decide to just stand there next to a cedar bush and think things through a bit. Wind; ever so slight from the northeast. Good thing as that will work with my plan of heading east for a quarter mile to check and see if the wheat is up. Before I can even have another thought, a buck steps out from behind another cedar and immediately sees me and does an about face and trots off. Not that I would have had a chance for a shot, but then I realize that I had better pull an arrow out of the quiver and start my hunting. He was either an eight or ten point, definitely a shooter for trad gear but maybe something that I would pass with a rifle. Can't shoot 'em with an empty bow. Another hundred yards and I start walking through an area that looks like a whole pen full of hogs had a holiday. This is new to us as we just haven't had hogs on the place. As I walk, my plan for the day starts to take shape. I have to do something about these hogs. I get to the wheat field and see that the wheat is up and that the hogs have been having a good time rooting around there. There was one area big enough and deep enough to fill with water and take a bath and another area where a hog had rooted along the row for about forty feet. I don't know if he was eating bugs or seed or what. By now I'm plenty ******, so I walk back to the house and hang up the bow and grab a rifle. I get out the four wheeler and patrol the back half of the place but can't find live hogs but do find lots of sign. They have been coming to a feeder on the far east side of the place so I grab the SD card out of the camera and go check it for pictures. No luck as the camera is aimed too high to pick up a hog, even though one had been rooting directly under the camera. So, the rest of my day was spent moving deer stands for hog hunting and setting out bait. Saturday evening I went and sat over the area where they had so much fun rooting, but I didn't see anything. The bait was gone on Sunday and there are fresh hog tracks so I baited it again. I checked that at dawn this morning and the bait was gone again. So today I will find a game camera and set it up in hopes of seeing what time of day they are eating.

The deer hunting will have to wait. Once I pattern the darn things I will go back to the bow, but for now I will carry a rifle. I would be mad at myself if I saw one at fifty yards and couldn't kill it.

Notice the difference in the wheat from Saturday morning until this morning.
    Attached Files

If you plan to eradicate them, you will need plenty of ammo. They multiply faster than rabbits. I heard that a sow can have her first litter (or whatever they call it) at 6 months and will have up to 3 litters per year with up to 12 bastages per litter. Makes for a lot of hunting and pork eating.

BTW...Good luck with the deer hunting too.

Doug

Comment

We have them sporadically here. Seems sometimes they are here all the time then we go weeks without any.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice write up, I felt like I was out there with you. Good luck with the swine

Comment

Good luck on the pig eradication

Comment

Good luck on the bacon

Comment

got any friends with access to an AC-130? looks like this is what you are going to need.

Comment

Originally posted by stickerpatch59 View Post
                got any friends with access to an AC-130? looks like this is what you are going to need.
                I was thinking Apache or Warthog

Comment

Hogs are fun to hunt but they sure do tear stuff up. You may want to invest in a good trap if you don't have one, and maybe a feeder light that's motion activated. You can have good luck hunting them at night if you're willing to sit out there and wait until they show up. If you shoot one at a feeder, especially with a rifle, it seems like they leave for a little while.

Comment

I'm thinking about a trap now. There are so many deer here that now the deer are getting the corn that I'm trying to bait hogs with. Oh well, it's all fun.

Comment

Working...
                    X