No announcement yet.

Time To Get Serious About CWD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last edited by Longue Carabine; 08-09-2018, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Loneaggie View Post
      I’ll try to make this light reading. Proteins are amino acid chains and they fold in a specific ways to form very specific shapes/structures. A prion is an “infective” protein that is folded incorrectly. When it bumps into certain other proteins it causes them to unfold also. Those unfolded proteins then do the same. As they are proteins they have no DNA or RNA aka genetic code. They’re dead simple, pun intended. But due to their mechanism they don’t adapt. A virus adapts in some cases very fast. A good virus is highly infective but doesn’t kill its host. Ebola is a good example. Early on you would rather be nuked that catch it, but it quickly (decades) gotten substantially less lethal. Prions don’t really have that route as they don’t have genetic material to mingle with other viruses or just DNA. They are mother nature’s supreme chain reaction.

If someone gets super technical they can complain about my description above, but I’m trying to make it understandable. Granted my molecular and cellular biology degree gets older with every passing day
      Thanks. I've never heard of a prion before.

Comment

Originally posted by Longue Carabine View Post
        Medina co?

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
          Good podcast about CWD Joe Rogan just did with the same guys from the meateater podcast
          IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. Posting of objectionable material in text, attachments or embedded links is grounds for immediate suspension.
          I AGREE, PLAY EMBEDDED VIDEO
          Good podcast, I listened to that today. Alarming when they said it had a possibility of jumping over to humans.

Comment

More of the same... throw scary what ifs around till someone thinks its based on some scientific fact ...typical of those that watch zombie movies as preparation videos.
            Biologist was interesting but tended to play to rogan ..''it has never happened......but then again it hasnt been proven it couldnt."

Comment

How does the "Time Bomb for Agriculture" fit in?

Comment

I really think all you guys hunting in a CWD infected areas should stop hunting. I'm pretty sure it's been around for a very long time and now people are starting to talk about it like its some kind of new thing.

Comment

Thank the Cervid industry gents!

Comment

Originally posted by Philip-TX View Post
                    How does the "Time Bomb for Agriculture" fit in?
                    Did you not catch the part about shed prions chemically attach themselves to plants and prions in the soil (that seem to viable from anywhere from 5 to 40 years) can be drawn up into growing plants/crops.

Comment

Did you not catch the part about shed prions chemically attach themselves to plants and prions in the soil (that seem to viable from anywhere from 5 to 40 years) can be drawn up into growing plants/crops.
                      Nope, I Haven't heard about corn, wheat, oats, or soybean markets being effected by CWD prions.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                        Missouri is a CWD watch zone, feeders, mineral sites, were banned by the state
                        EHD kills thousands more deer in Missouri. Let's find a way to deal with that. CWD doesn't move me at all.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                          EHD kills thousands more deer in Missouri. Let's find a way to deal with that. CWD doesn't move me at all.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
                          Watch the podcast?, they address that specific point of view.

Comment

He said they got plants to draw it up from the soil while growing them in what he called "a slurry of prions".

That is important info that can't be left out. It is like saying when got a monkey to contract it, but leaving out the part about injecting it directly to it's brain. <I'm not saying this happened, just using it as an example,

Comment

Originally posted by adam_p View Post
                              He said they got plants to draw it up from the soil while growing them in what he called "a slurry of prions".

That is important info that can't be left out. < It is like saying when got a monkey to contract it, but leaving out the part about injecting it directly to it's brain. I'm not saying this happened, just using it as an example,
                              FYI that did happen http://sportingclassicsdaily.com/humans-cwd-deer/
                              Last edited by bossbowman; 08-09-2018, 09:07 PM.

Comment

I thought it did but didn't want to look it up and didn't want to spread misinformation.

Comment

Working...
                                X