No announcement yet.

Hate me for saying this, but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The only people hunting to feed their families are the ones running around East Texas that show up on your game cams from time to time. LOL

I hunt public lands only, shoot a 2009 model bow and the same Slick Tricks/Grim Reapers I've had for a while now, arrows are a set I bought 5 years ago or so and I'm down to 9 of the dozen, and I process all my own kills. It's STILL cheaper to buy the most expensive meat HEB has to offer than to eat venison.
    Last edited by justletmein; 01-02-2018, 09:30 PM.

Comment

It can still be done but getting harder and harder to do. For example I have had dang near free access to meat this year between the axis, black buck, and does I have shot this year that cost me nothing but the bullet to shoot them with. But I don't just hunt for the meat. I hunt for the experience, nothing like chasing muleys in the hills or mountains and you aren't doing it for meat alone. Like mentioned above if I was just chasing meat and had to have a lease etc... I would pay one of the local ranchers to go out and shoot one of his 8 month calves and cut it up at home and be out the same price. But free deer that is processed at home comes out pretty dang cheap.

Comment

Well if you figure you're going to be doing some sort of recreation anyways to unwind it's not that bad. I don't remember a golfer ever bringing home a cooler full of anything but empty beer cans.

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
          Not everyone pays for a leases, buys a new bow every year, and has a $10k lease vehicle. Then again some folks pull at the heart strings to get access...

Me? I’m the only one in my family that will willingly eat venison, a bit of starvation might be a good thing to provide some perspective

Wait... people buy new bows every year? Wow I shouldn't have started this thread. LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I am not in it for the horns or meat. I just like sweating my *** off in the summer filling feeders while dodging cactus and rattlesnakes.

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
              hey, they are still out there

They sure are.
              I have 400 acres here in Grimes/Walker county and 180 acres in Trinity county all for a little sweat equity. No $$ involved

Comment

I just feed the deer in the yard table scraps. We kill a few a year for the freezer. Process everything at the house. It cost me very little per pound. I'm guessing less than $.5- just a 22-250 round and bags of jars. Now price per pound for fish is way up there

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Saggy View Post
                  In addition to filling the freezer, hunting and fishing are the perfect way to decompress and recharge from the daily grind of providing for one's family.
                  One way to look at it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yup

Comment

Originally posted by Cantcatch5 View Post
                    I am sure there is someone who hunts cheap and provides cheap meat, it just isn’t me or anyone I know or anyone I have ever met. Meat killed by me is more expensive per pound than lobster!
                    That’s the truth right there!!!!

Comment

it just gives you something to look forward during the year. I bale hay in the hot summer
                      so I can go on a couple trips to the Lincoln ranch or some other ranch during hunting season. Its about some good time out in the brush country or other places.
                      then you start planning for the next year and dreaming of the big buck stepping out in bow range . Another hunting season is coming to a end so its time to start planning for next year.

Comment

I hunt family land, nat forest and 2 mld leases that cost me nothing. put 7 deer and over 20 hogs in the freezer so far this year and cost about $200 in corn and still got lots of mld tags left to fill and tons of hogs.

Comment

I measure the success of my hunt by the inch. Probably will fade with age, but not right now. My deer meat cost ALOT!

Comment

I wouldn't say I hunt to feed my family. We hunt because we enjoy the time out and away from everything else. With that being said, I count on having some venison to help justify some of the expense. Yes, I know buying meat at the store would be cheaper, but then we would miss the experience of the hunt and preparing for the hunting season. Lets face it, the time out at the lease is what most of us are paying for any way isn't it. We have become pretty dependent on venison in our house. Most of our meals has venison in it. So in a way, I hunt to feed my family but that is not why I hunt. Hope this ramble makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                              The only people hunting to feed their families are the ones running around East Texas that show up on your game cams from time to time. LOL
                              Hey I only appeared once
                              I get by fairly reasonable. Hunt private family land. I bought HL for me & son, one gas trip, $65 of corn (10 bag deal), plus processing fee on a doe my son killed. I’d say $300ish for 56 lbs of meat. Fairly equivalent to store price

Comment

Hate me for saying this, but...

Originally posted by smokin feathers View Post
                                I hunt family land, nat forest and 2 mld leases that cost me nothing. put 7 deer and over 20 hogs in the freezer so far this year and cost about $200 in corn and still got lots of mld tags left to fill and tons of hogs.

$2000+ in corn
                                $1500+ in gas, beer and food
                                $550 deer mount
                                $265 processing
                                $50 in ice to keep deer and cape on ice
                                $325 for Texas license

I killed one buck this year.

I spend that every year and sometimes I kill a buck and sometimes I just shoot a doe. I only need one deer per year for my wife and I.

I do it because I enjoy it and it’s what I like to spend my money on.

Last edited by Black Ice; 01-02-2018, 10:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X