rut in east texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rut in east texas

when does it take place? im in van zandt county right next to wood county. not really lookin to kill a buck but if mack-daddy freak nasty walks out, well...

Im on a lease in east tx for the first time this year. Im in Polk cty. From what I have heard its typically in the later part of November. Most of the guys on our lease and neighboring properties said the rut last year was hardly evident. They tend to blame the hurricane. Said there wasnt much of a second or later rut to be noted either. Dont know if this helps or just screws it up worse for you. I just figured Id pass along the hear say Ive recaived.

Comment

We have land out in East Tx. Rut is usually from October - late November.

Comment

IMO...Rut is too hard to define in East Texas because there are waaay too many does. There is a great number of hunters in ETX that don't believe in taking a doe...and now the US Forest Service will not let you take one either.

Until the buck-doe ratio gets in balance, the rut is up in the air.

Now having said that..I hunt in Shelby Co and saw rutting activity during the last week of October and first week of November

Comment

Originally posted by Midnight View Post
          We have land out in East Tx. Rut is usually from October - late November.
          I agree, I typically see the rut occur from late October through 2nd week of november. Especially closer to the coast.

Comment

Originally posted by SPUD View Post
            IMO...Rut is too hard to define in East Texas because there are waaay too many does.
            Cuz, speak fer yerself!!! Where we hunt, just north of you, we get 7 doe permits every year!!
            Where we hunt in Panola Co, the peak of the rut is always the week of Thanksgiving!!

Comment

I am in sabine county and its a trickle rut most years......Id say late oct early nov.

Comment

I hunt close to Apple Springs and the rut starts 3rd week of oct and runs to 2nd week of nov.

Comment

thanks

Comment

hunt in Leon county and the rut for me started 3rd week October and lasted a long time because all the does, but the time i saw most bucks was late oct, October is the best month where I hunt near buffalo

Comment

I'm in Hopkins county and we seem to have a looooong rut that isn't well defined. Last year, I saw two bucks making rubs in the middle of October and we got several trail camera pictures of a spotted fawn back in August.

Comment

There ain't no rut in East Texas. The poachers stole it.

Comment

Comment

I grew up hunting in eastern Wood county and we typically start seeing rubs around the 2nd week of October. By the 3rd week of Oct, good numbers of rubs and a few scrapes. The last week of Oct and into the first two weeks of Nov has historically been when we've seen the most hard core chasing.

If we're lucky, we may see some secondary activity around Thanksgiving. Once Dec rolls around and I suspect most NE TX hunters will agree, it gets pretty darn tough.

Comment

Originally posted by SPUD View Post
                              IMO...Rut is too hard to define in East Texas because there are waaay too many does. There is a great number of hunters in ETX that don't believe in taking a doe...and now the US Forest Service will not let you take one either.

Until the buck-doe ratio gets in balance, the rut is up in the air.

Now having said that..I hunt in Shelby Co and saw rutting activity during the last week of October and first week of November
                              Exactly! I'm right on the border of what most call "East Texas". Some pine trees but not tons. LimeStone County.
                              If I had to pin point it to a few weeks I'd say last 3 weeks of November is when we see the most rutting action. BUT I've seen bucks chasing as early as opening weekend of bow season and as late as Christmas. Usually young un's chasing that early or that late around here.

Comment

Working...
                              X