Turkey chokes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turkey chokes

I shoot a Benelli Super Black Eagle II. We are going turkey hunting in a few weeks. I am usually in the mindset that “if ain’t broke”. In the past I have killed turkeys with a choke that Is used to hunt geese. Any suggestions or any clear differences on chokes that any of y’all may have? Also what are yalls thoughts on turkey loads?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have killed a turkey at 40 yards with a stock Mossburg full choke.

Comment

I shot one last year with 3.5" Winchester Turkey load and Carlson Turkey choke at 65 yards. took 2 shots but I got him.

Comment

tuned in... never killed one with a shotgun... only a bow and I was wondering the same question around chokes.

Comment

Rhino choke tubes, Ive been witness to several toms folding at 70+. Nitro ammunition make the best loads around, but $$$ they sit at the end of the magazine tube and get used if the need arises.

Comment

I have no clear difference in chokes, that being said I use my Dead Coyote choke for turkeys just because it shoots a tighter pattern than my standard full choke, seems to work fine on turkeys.
            As far as shells I use 3 1/2" Winchesters no.4, seems to knock the stew out of them.

Comment

I shoot a 10 gauge with 4,5,7 shot by Nitro. Rhino choke or the Primos jelly head choke. Both can hold the pattern tight and with distance. A 80 to 100 yard shot with a scope is no problem.

Comment

Listening. Or if anyone wants to lend/rent a beretta Mobil choke for an upcoming hunt

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

I just use the full choke that came with the Benelli Nova I shoot. Using Hevi-Shot 13 3 1/2" #5 shot I've killed a turkey at 60 yards.

Comment

I was looking at the Jelly Head. Up close does it do to much damage?

Comment

Last one I shoot with a shotgun I just used a stock Winchester full choke with regular 4 or 6 shot shells. That was probably 10 years ago, at least.

Comment

Just limit your shots to 30-35 yards with full choke. Pattern your gun on a turkey target with a couple of shots. Aim where the feathers stop on the neck.
                        That will tell you your limitations.
                        Turkey hunting isn’t about killing. It is about hunting and calling.

Have fun.

BP

Comment

I used to hunt with a super tight turkey choke and take long shots, but now I agree with Big Pig. Now the game is to see if I can call them in to 30 or less - at that range a standard full choke is plenty.

(disclaimer: this is partially due to the fact that I can no longer see well enough to put a bead on a turkey head at 60 yards!)

Comment

Originally posted by RyanC26 View Post
                            I was looking at the Jelly Head. Up close does it do to much damage?
                            Just depends on the distance, but that's with all chokes

Comment

You can kill the mess out of them within 30 35 yards with any choke and #5 #6 or even #7.5 pellets. The fun is getting them in close.

Comment

Working...
                              X