No announcement yet.

Some are a little older than they look Part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was looking through pics and found these 2 from Dec 2015. Based on the small double patch, antler conformity, etc I believe this is the same deer. Kinda rules out the 3.5 theory..

Click image for larger version

Name:	709148E7-AA37-48FE-BD51-C72B786BB612.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	24527151

Name:	090E4E6A-8835-43C8-AD3C-ADF85C6EAB1E.jpeg
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	24527152

Last clues..

Comment

Originally posted by rjvero View Post
      5+
      I got this too...prob 6.5+
      Last edited by mdnabors; 01-19-2018, 10:37 PM.

Comment

Comment

Just using the first pic not sure how anyone can say less than 5.5 and prob 6.5+.
          First thing that pops out to me is where the neck meets the brisket, base of neck meets the tip of a very pointed brisket. The second pic screams 6.5 plus.

Comment

Originally posted by HappyM View Post
            I was looking through pics and found these 2 from Dec 2015. Based on the small double patch, antler conformity, etc I believe this is the same deer. Kinda rules out the 3.5 theory..

[ATTACH]893064[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]893065[/ATTACH]

Last clues..
            Looks like a rutted down 4.5-5.5

Comment

6+

Comment

The backstory. When I saw the first pic back in Oct I was convinced he was a way post mature buck due to his full neck, arthritis in his knees, falling off backside, etc. Conversely my hunting buddies were convinced he was a super star young buck due to his long legs , no belly etc. a raging battle ensued, but it did not matter because we could not find him. As a reference point our mature deer regularly push 200pounds in October. Our “typical 6 year old” is built like this

Name:	9CD36EFF-D222-48C5-9985-1B2A747A79E1.jpg
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	24527168

How could this deer with all the makings of a mature deer not be built like a bull.... my conclusions was he was real old. Fast forward to Christmas weekend he walks in to me when I was hunting for another buck and there was NO doubt he is an old deer. To me he was post prime and shrinking like old men do. He walks like his knees are killing him, but his demeanor is a tough guy. He walked right up to the feeder and just ducked his head and a real nice 10 with probably 30lbs on him just let him have it. This scene replayed itself regularly for the next few weeks and I was more convinced we had another way over the hill deer like one in my other thread. So my cuz was set to hunt me last weekend and we harvested the buck. Cuz made a great shot and we recovered the deer quickly.
                Here are his jawbones.

Name:	1B422456-DFD3-422C-A309-42AE985D97EB.jpg
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	24527169

Name:	604FCB87-C613-4AD2-8471-0280FAF26A22.jpg
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	24527170

They are the classical 6.5 year old on both sides. (One could argue the left is a bit more 7.5). Not knowing this deer over time it is hard for me to say just how old he was but I am still going with a very old buck from his body condition but alternatively this could just be some what of a runt of a deer and in fact he was 6.5. Oh the mysteries of nature. The happy ending to the story is my cuz shot a beautiful 144” buck and I won the bet as to whether he was an up in comer or a mature buck.

Shoot straight and all the best
                Last edited by HappyM; 01-20-2018, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Good story. Congrats to your cuz. No doubt that deer is old.

Comment

Thanks for sharing. Did you ever kill the buck named Taco that you posted a couple years ago? He was a cool looking buck.

Comment

Originally posted by lab man View Post
                      Thanks for sharing. Did you ever kill the buck named Taco that you posted a couple years ago? He was a cool looking buck.
                      Unfortunately not. He has been run down the last couple of seasons and he went all freaky on us this year. I should have shot him at 5.5 as that was his best rack. This is his last hall pass. He is going down next year regardless.
                      Here is a velvet pic

Name:	FFAFBE64-8996-4BB3-A2BE-47C317748B95.jpg
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	24527187

Comment

Hope he bounces back for you next year. His tine length was really impressive a couple years ago.

Comment

A little late, just found this thread.
                          I would have guessed 6.5+ based on square brisket, sagging spine and prominent hip bones. I think his teeth look older than 6.5 too. On our place we would probably call him 8.5.

Comment

Working...
                          X