Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AR Deer Hunting w/Walker Beagles? Whatcha' think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
    Just go back and look at his posts in just about any thread that he participates in and you'll see he's a troll and not worth your efforts either...
    I was thinking the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
      Unless someone is hunting naked and strangling deer with his bare hands, they can't say **** about any legal tool choice someone else uses.

And as far as I know, Leon and maybe Burnadell are the only ones on the TBH that can do that...
      so .. Good luck and enjoy yourself.
      This post made me LOL...I've been following Burnadell stories for years, and someday I hope that I have the opportunity to shake this man's hand! GREATNESS....LOL!

I can almost hear his mama saying...."NOW Burnadell, You know that I told you not to go running around NAKED, and STRANGL'N those dang deer! Go get me a switch!"

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
        Actually I COULD go into addressing your questions, but that didn't seem to me the focus of your posts... Your posts were an attack on something you know nothing about...but frankly, you're not worth the effort. My interest was in addressing the OP's post not yours...
        Lol, you got your old condescending panties in a wad when I went after your what you feel is a time honored tradition because you're emotionally attached to those memories. Now you're making an excuse for your own laziness and even trying to belittle me as if that puts you higher on the pedestal.

If you haven't noticed, this is a public forum with the opportunity for many eyes to see and would be an excellent opportunity for you to educate the viewers on the ins/outs of using dogs as a method of hunting. Don't get so offended at an opposing opinion on this controversial method, especially when the opinion is warranted (whether it be for or against)

Comment

hmm
          you stated.. and I quote:

I asked:

Pretty straight forward.. you said it was outlawed for a reason.. whats the reason?
          There are several reasons that factored in. The primary one being the same one that causes a lot of problems with hog doggers in Texas. Dogs can't read No Trespassing signs. With the population growing and property being broken up into smaller and smaller parcels along with increasing development the large tracts of land where dogs could run without going onto a neighbors property are disappearing. The first states that outlawed dog hunting were in the Northeast where the population grew fastest.

Comment

My dad grew up in Malvern, Ark. and he has some interesting stories from the 50's and 60's. He said some hunters would line up on the county roads to shoot the deer as they crossed because that was some of the only open space to be had in the timber. He said that older deer that had survived a few seasons would run toward the sound of a pulp wood truck coming down the road. The deer would pass behind the truck because it would create a cloud of dust to conceal them. Nothing wrong with it, just a different way to kill deer. My dad also jokes that he didn't know that people hunted deer during the day till he moved to Texas!

Comment

hmm
              you stated.. and I quote:

I asked:

Pretty straight forward.. you said it was outlawed for a reason.. whats the reason?
              I understand what you're asking. That's requesting an objective answer. Where you said why a law is passed is subjective.

Without actually signing the law into place, or being involved in the meetings/discussions all anyone can give is a subjective, rather than objective answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Buff View Post
                I was thinking the same thing.
                I'm all about education and improving my own methods and skills, while using this website as a reference. If you actually go through and read my posts with an unbiased opinion you'll see that.

Comment

I have had some good times hunting deer with dogs when I was a kid. I miss it and would jump at the opportunity to do it again. Times have changed, attitudes have changed, and the way we approach hunting has changed....some of it for the better, some of it for the worst. But most of it revolving around the ability for states and manufacturers to generate revenue. Was certainly a lot less BS involved than there is these days. We killed far fewer animals back then, by t no doubt some of my fondest memories were made in a camp full of hounds.

BTW......this is far from a slam dunk method of hunting, and very low likelihood a big buck will be shot, they normally slip out the back door when the commotion started. The bigger deer we killed were normally away from the race as the bucks slinked away from the action, but that did not happen often. No certainty where deer will go when they jump, and the odds of success are akin to spot and stalk hunting. Maybe 1 out of 10 races would result in a shot. Btw.....deer are hard to hit running full speed.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasArchery_27 View Post
                    Never been a fan of "Hunting" by running dogs. It's an extremely unfair and successful method that I would only think would be needed in a famine or serious survival situation. I know that if I harvested a deer with that method I wouldn't feel too proud or that I accomplished anything. Just my 2 pesos
                    Oh yeah and shooting them with their head is a feed bucket is so fair!!!! I assure you even with the best hounds there are out there far less deer are killed than sitting over a feeder.

To the OP go and enjoy yourself, it is legal there and should be an enjoyable time for you.

Take a shotgun with #1 or #4 buckshot and enjoy listening to the hounds work.

Comment

I understand what you're asking. That's requesting an objective answer. Where you said why a law is passed is subjective.

Without actually signing the law into place, or being involved in the meetings/discussions all anyone can give is a subjective, rather than objective answer.
                      But YOU used it as a point in your argument to prove the practice in your opinion was wrong.....so were you subjectively being wrong...or objectively trolling the OP?.

Comment

Originally posted by HNT ETX View Post
                        I have had some good times hunting deer with dogs when I was a kid. I miss it and would jump at the opportunity to do it again. Times have changed, attitudes have changed, and the way we approach hunting has changed....some of it for the better, some of it for the worst. But most of it revolving around the ability for states and manufacturers to generate revenue. Was certainly a lot less BS involved than there is these days. We killed far fewer animals back then, by t no doubt some of my fondest memories were made in a camp full of hounds.

BTW......this is far from a slam dunk method of hunting, and very low likelihood a big buck will be shot, they normally slip out the back door when the commotion started. The bigger deer we killed were normally away from the race as the bucks slinked away from the action, but that did not happen often. No certainty where deer will go when they jump, and the odds of success are akin to spot and stalk hunting. Maybe 1 out of 10 races would result in a shot. Btw.....deer are hard to hit running full speed.
                        Spot on.

OP, I think you’ll have an absolute blast. I’m jealous!

Comment

Have fun and let us know how it goes! Something I've never done and probably will never get a chance to do.

Comment

Have fun its legal and hunting with dogs is a blast

Comment

But YOU used it as a point in your argument to prove the practice in your opinion was wrong.....so were you subjectively being wrong...or objectively trolling the OP?.

I used a statistic(objective material) as support my opinion (subjective). You asked for an objective answer, which cannot be given. My subjective answer is that it isn't sporting.

I wasn't trolling the OP. He legitimately asked for opinions from his peers, because he's seeking validation for what he's about to go do - this is often what we do when we have opposing opinions within ourselves

Comment

I'm sure it can get the heart pumping, having another animal chase your target and seeing them scatter for their lives. I'm curious though, if it's more difficult what sort of preparation is needed? Do you have to scout? Trail cams? Temp matter? Wind direction matter? Because from the sound of it, all that is uneeded. Sounds like on any given day you can let the dogs loose and have a real life arcade (Like one of the games at Bass Pro Shops)
                                Since you wanted to be educated I will make an attempt at answering some of your questions. Yes you have to scout. If you have one dog or a hundred if there is not any deer around they cant run them. Trail cams were not heard of while it was still legal in Texas but I'm sure they would have been used had they been around. Same as question 1. Temp does matter just as it does today. Deer like to move more during cooler weather. More deer movement equals more chance of striking a trail.Wind direction matters same as hunting over a feeder . Just because a deer is running doesn't mean he cant smell. To be successful with dogs takes a lot of planning and forethought. You have to know where to set up, cover as many of the escape routes as possible. Often the deer hear ,see or smell the dogs and driver before they get to the deer. The deer will slip away from them before they strike the trail. A lot of times I was looking left when i should have been looking right. Why it was outlawed has already been answered . It may not be how you choose to hunt and that's ok but don't look down on those that do and some of us who will will still could( at least on more time).

Comment

Working...
                                X