Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How hard are your deer hitting the protein so far?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by elgato View Post
    I just added up consumption in Mexico thru April. Don't have May yet. Also didn't calculate cotton seed.

62 tons Jan-April 2014
    60 tons Jan - April 2015.

The big difference is the cowboys haven't been able to feed consistently this year because of impassable muddy roads.

Per deer/day number?

What about normal consumption in LA?

Comment

My numbers work out to 2.5lbs of protein and .92 lbs of cottonseed per deer per day.

Comment

Originally posted by bsmizzy07 View Post
        First year we've fed protein and on 1000 acres we went through 2500 lbs in 3 months. That's 27 lbs a day. This is in Concho county, all brushy country. Seem about normal?
        I would say that is about right. It's pretty good considering the acreage, rain conditions, and the first time y'all have ever fed protein.

Some very good stuff on this thread guys! I find it so interesting hearing what results everyone is seeing on their place. Keep it up

Comment

550 acres low fence
          8400 lbs since Jan 25. Last fill was this past week and it was totally empty, maybe empty for 10 days even unfortunately.

Comment

400 acres low fence on the San Saba River in the northeastern most part of Menard County.

Jan '15 to Jun '15 - 10,900lbs of protein (the deer have also eaten 2,000lbs of cottonseed this year)
            Jan '14 to Jun '14 - 8,200lbs of protein

Jan '15 to Jun '15 Rainfall - 13in
            Jan '14 to Jun '14 Rainfall - 4.93in

We should see a big jump this year in antler growth.

Comment

They pretty much cleaned out all the pea gravel out of our gravity feeders in sisterdale

Comment

Originally posted by Peyton View Post
                Per deer/day number?

What about normal consumption in LA?
                I am surprised with these numbers. In La. I fed 30 tons from Jan 14-Aug 14 last year. { This year is an anomaly because of the flooding } My best guess is that I have 175-200 deer. So my math suggests less than 2 lbs day. Surprising because we can see the deer feeding everyday. Granted I have a lot of crops for them. I also know there was a fair amount of non target specie predation last year...coons especially. I expected consumption per animal to be higher. Appreciate my only census is personal observation.

Regarding Mexico I can't even venture a guess. We do no form of census. I used to fly lots of country in S. Texas but frankly decided it wasn't worth the money and I would rather spend it on feed. It's fun but I don't see the value.

Again we manage population thru observation. If we get to seeing too many deer we remove a bunch of them.

Our pastures there are big with varying feeder density, and varying population density so I don't even know where to start to guesstimate. What I do know is that filling protein and cotton seed feeders is a constant never stopping job.

I like your precision though.

Comment

The deer just picked up on the consumption in Mills Co.

Comment

Interesting information on consumption. I switched to the DF&G RHR ration April 1st. Figure I have about 175-200 deer on my property. They are eating more than previous years when I was feeding ADM Rack Plus 17%.
                    Right now consumption is 1.8# per deer per day. Cotton seed I don't know but I only buy 8 tons and start putting it out in Jan. and it usually lasts until about July so about .45# per deer per day.

Comment

Deer have eaten about 100#s in a week. They aren't touching the mineral block.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasTK View Post
                        Interesting information on consumption. I switched to the DF&G RHR ration April 1st. Figure I have about 175-200 deer on my property. They are eating more than previous years when I was feeding ADM Rack Plus 17%.

Right now consumption is 1.8# per deer per day. Cotton seed I don't know but I only buy 8 tons and start putting it out in Jan. and it usually lasts until about July so about .45# per deer per day.

Wondering if I have a gluttony problem.

Comment

Wondering if I have a gluttony problem.
                          They are trying to catch up from all the years you were feeding the other feed, Haha. More is better.
                          I will be interested in seeing how much improvement you see this year from the new feed. Will be difficult to judge though due to the copious rain we have seen.

Comment

Filled 1000# feeders in Feb in Mills cnty, they're still almost full.

Comment

I just crunched the numbers 22 protein feeders, 11 cottonseed feeders.

January-June 2015
                              Protein (Double Down)
                              1960 bags, 98,000lbs, 49 tons
                              Cottonseed
                              720 bags, 36,000lbs, 18 tons

January-June 2014
                              Protein (Record Rack)
                              1876 bags, 93,800lbs, 46.9 tons
                              Cottonseed
                              500 bags, 25,000lbs, 12.5 tons

Same deer numbers as last year, 10" of rain in the past 30 days, and they're eating MORE than the drought years?!?!?!!!
                              32 tons of DD and 6 tons of cottonseed in the last 43 days at the place I get to hunt. All the feeders have gone dry and it has been to wet to fill them. There was still a little cottonseed left 3 days ago.
                              Filling feeders Monday. It should be an awesome year!
                              Always enjoy your photos and post.

Comment

Originally posted by In Rut View Post
                                32 tons of DD and 6 tons of cottonseed in the last 43 days at the place I get to hunt. All the feeders have gone dry and it has been too wet to fill them. There was still a little cottonseed left 3 days ago.

Filling feeders Monday. It should be an awesome year!

Always enjoy your photos and post.

Oh my! That's pretty much double per day. I hope yall have a lot more acres and deer. What does that work out to per deer/day?

Comment

Working...
                                X