Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Merino wool shirts stink coming out of washer??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Merino wool shirts stink coming out of washer??

Anyone else have this problem? I bought some base shirts made of merino for the first time from Kuiu. I'm washing them on the delicate cycle with woolite on cold and they are coming out smelling like an old wet dog.

They didn't go in smelling like that.

What am I missing?

Interested to know. I have a wool sweater that does that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Because it's wool.

Comment

They will smell normal when dry and you start wearing them regularly

Comment

Same thing here. They smell fine when they are dry. I just came back from Montana and I LOVED the zip off feature of the bottoms, everybody was jealous when they had to sit down and take their boots off!

Also even though they stink when you wash them they don't smell like BO after wearing them for several days in the mountains.

Comment

I wash mine with all my hunting clothes. Nothing special and they smell fine.

Comment

I will also say that often guys need more soap than is called for to get rid of the smell and they don't realize it, but for the most part that initial smell is just merino. Just use enough soap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Thanks guys. I'll dry them and see how it goes on the smell. I know if that smell sticks I'll get winded pretty easily even without the BO.

Comment

Originally posted by katy_oilman View Post
                  Thanks guys. I'll dry them and see how it goes on the smell. I know if that smell sticks I'll get winded pretty easily even without the BO.
                  The smell will leave when dried. FYI, the merino wool will last much longer if hung dry instead of using the dryer.

Comment

Originally posted by katy_oilman View Post
                    Don't worry. I thought the same thing. Set them in a room with a fan and tomorrow afternoon you won't be able to smell them.

Comment

Dry them out in the sun - the shirts will dry quickly, and the sunlight will help kill the smell.

Comment

Working...
                      X