No announcement yet.

7MM Remington or 280 Remington ammo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been wanting a .280 for years. I have never heard of a 7mm Rem Express. Learned something new I guess.

Comment

B6868*** was made in May 1987

according to my book, barrels were marked 7MM EXP REM 280 REM , 22" barrels and quite a few rifles were done in camo

Comment

If I remember correctly the early 80s is the time frame and post above could be correct for the short manufacture if the 7mm Express of 79-80 I was thinking 81-82 as a college roommate wanted one in 82.

The 7mm-06 differs from the 280, Remington discovered that the 7mm-06 would chamber in some 270 rifles and fire so with the 280 the shoulder is moved a little forward to keep this from happening. Winchester paid no attention to this finding when they were bringing out the 7mmWSM until almost market time when they went back and did the same with the 7mmWSM to make it a little longer to avoid it being shot in a 270. Both instances would result in very high pressures.

For the rest see posts here and in the piggyback thread

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
          Actually, it is a moot point concerning the ammo. You won't find ammo labeled 7mm Rem Express unless it under a shelf or in a closet in somebody's garage.
          Actually mine is in the 7mm section of my ammo shelf.

Comment

Originally posted by big_smith View Post
            I have been wanting a .280 for years. I have never heard of a 7mm Rem Express. Learned something new I guess.
            Remington's stupid poor marketing ruined it, just like Big Green did with the 244 Remington and 5mm Magnum

Comment

Originally posted by texaspacker View Post
              I buy my ammunition from sportsmanguide and the sell 7MM & 280 Remington ammo. I was just asking if one might be "gooder" than the other?

Those are going to be mag cartridges that will not fit. Buy .280 ammo that is the only commercially available ammo that will work out of that gun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
                Those are going to be mag cartridges that will not fit. Buy .280 ammo that is the only commercially available ammo that will work out of that gun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                If the OP cannot get this clear in his head, he's gonna be sorely disappointed

Comment

I have two boxes of higher end federals for the .280 that I'll send you if you want em.

And listen to what's been said. The Remington .280 IS a 7mm bullet but a 7 mm MAG, will not work. The 7mm express thing was an old marketing folley, all it basically boils down to is that you're particular gun is an older model... it IS a .280 Remington.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                    If the OP cannot get this clear in his head, he's gonna be sorely disappointed
                    He knows the difference for sure

Thanks, Blake for your findings

Comment

Originally posted by SwampBuck View Post
                      I have two boxes of higher end federals for the .280 that I'll send you if you want em.

And listen to what's been said. The Remington .280 IS a 7mm bullet but a 7 mm MAG, will not work. The 7mm express thing was an old marketing folley, all it basically boils down to is that you're particular gun is an older model... it IS a .280 Remington.
                      If you are looking to send someone those .280's I'll take them. My 7mm Express will love them!

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                        yeah...sign me up too. If that gun is all original it would be cool to see it / date it
                        If you are ever in Spring, come by and I'll show you a Rem. 700 with the "7MM Express" stamped on it.

Comment

Here's the ammo made specifically for that model. I don't have the gun but can use it in my 280.

If I remember correctly the idea behind this was to load the .280 to it's fullest potential. Remington had made some autoloaders and pump .280's that couldn't hand the pressure that a bolt gun could. So they named the new guns 7mm Express Remington. These may be loader a little hotter than regular .280. That's why the .280AI is a kick *** cartridge while the factory .280 is ho hum.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                            Here's the ammo made specifically for that model. I don't have the gun but can use it in my 280.

If I remember correctly the idea behind this was to load the .280 to it's fullest potential. Remington had made some autoloaders and pump .280's that couldn't hand the pressure that a bolt gun could. So they named the new guns 7mm Express Remington. These may be loader a little hotter than regular .280. That's why the .280AI is a kick *** cartridge while the factory .280 is ho hum.
                            I have read that and never understood it. Those same rifles are chambered in the 30-06 and 270 Winchester which have higher pressure levels than the original 280 specifications were. Logic they used does not compute in my head. Never saw it explained either.

Comment

Yes sir I'll take them.

[QUOTE=SwampBuck;12988208]I have two boxes of higher end federals for the .280 that I'll send you if you want em.

And listen to what's been said. The Remington .280 IS a 7mm bullet but a 7 mm MAG, will not work. The 7mm express thing was an old marketing folley, all it basically boils down to is that you're particular gun is an older model... it IS a .280 Remington.[/QUO
                              Hello Grant
                              Sure I'll take them. I love FREE but I do want to make it worth your while somehow. Any caliber of ammunition you looking for I have most "normal" ammo & some weird ammo. 41 magnum? How about some 7.62x54R????? Brick of 22LR????
                              PM me your contact information please. I prefer to talk on the phone but for free I'm flexible.
                              I'm in no hurry if you ain't.
                              God bless!
                              Semper fi.
                              Barry

Comment

Yes sir I'll take it!

Originally posted by SwampBuck View Post

I gotta figure out how TBH site works. I wrote a reply but it's at the bottom so I'll try again.
                                Gr... please PM me with your contact information.
                                Thank you and God bless!
                                semper fi.
                                Barry

Comment

Working...
                                X