Libertarians & Conservatives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by flywise View Post
    This country was not created as a Christian nation..it was created by a great faith in the creator
    Indeed.

Frazer: Yeah; and, by the way, let me just say, one of the things that’s critical to note here as well is that I don’t make any claims concerning the founding fathers in general. I don’t think you can make any claims about what the founding fathers believed or the religion of the founding fathers in general because they were, just like people today, they were individuals who disagreed in a lot of ways. They didn’t share all the same beliefs; they held a diverse set of beliefs in various areas, so what I focus on is eight key individuals who I refer to as the key founders. That is, those who are most responsible for the two founding documents: the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution. And John Adams is, of course, a key figure here because he was one of the three most responsible for the Declaration of Independence and, obviously, the second president of the United States, and also in other positions: vice president, ambassador to Europe and so forth. John Adams, I argue, is sort of the quintessential theistic rationalist. That is, he wrote the most about theology of any of the key founders and studied the most. He read any and all theology that he could find around the world and he wrote the most about it and revealed his own views the most, and it’s really quite shocking what he came up with. He fundamentally denied basically all the fundamental tenants of the faith. He was raised in a Calvinist community; although, and again this is where denominational affiliations can get you in trouble, his church was listed as Congregationalist and they kept that name, but the church turned Unitarian when he was a young man, and so just the label Congregationalist can get you sort of off-track. But he denied the deity of Christ; he denied the Trinity; he denied the atonement. He actually said what I think is the most striking statement of all the things that I’ve found in all of my study, which was in his explaining his opposition to the Trinity, he actually said that if he were standing on Mount Sinai with Moses, where God gives revelation, and God Himself told him that the Trinity was true, he said he wouldn’t believe it.

Mohler: You look at a statement like that and you think Thomas Payne; you don’t think John Adams.

Frazer: Right. He referred to the deity of Christ and the atonement as absurdities, talked about the fabrication of the Christian Trinity. He talked about the incarnation and said it has been the source of almost all the corruptions of Christianity—the belief in an eternal self-existent, omnipresent, omniscient Author of this stupendous universe suffering on a cross—says that that’s the source of most of the problems in Christianity. Speaking of the Bible, he said that philosophy is the original revelation of the Creator to His creature, and no subsequent revelation supported by prophecies or miracles can supersede it, so philosophy trumps the Bible.
    Last edited by Vermin93; 03-13-2017, 04:12 PM.

Comment

A secular rebuttal to the evangelical version you linked.

https://www.au.org/church-state/febr...ufactured-myth

Comment

Originally posted by Vermin93 View Post
        I've been trying to dig up an interview that I heard a few years ago and I finally found it. This is a very interesting interview on the subject of what America's founders believed.

The interview was conducted by Dr. Albert Mohler of the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary. The interviewee is Dr. Gregg Frazer, who has studied this topic extensively and who did his doctoral dissertation on it. He later published the book "The Religious Beliefs of America’s Founders: Reason, Revelation and Revolution". His explanation of what he calls the "theistic rationalism" of the key founders addresses some of the assertions made in this thread.

The interview is available in written and audio format at this link:

http://www.albertmohler.com/2012/09/...-gregg-frazer/

Wow, very interesting indeed. Thanks for sharing.

That describes our founding fathers more of moralists than theists.

And without them believing in hell, they would not fit the definition of Christian today.

and for them the critical element in religion was morality. And this is part of where the left is wrong with their wall of separation notion and the idea that the founders wanted to keep religion out of public life. Quite the contrary, what they had to struggle with was the fact that they were creating society; they were creating a republic, a free society, without the iron fist of the government controlling people. And so the question they then had to deal with was, “How do you control such people? How do you get them to behave?” And their answer was that you get them to behave, you control them, through morality. And where do you get morality? You get it through religion. So they did not want to divorce or separate religion from public life; rather, they believe that religion was a necessary support of public life, as Washington and Adams and others said quite frequently, by the way. So they believed that morality was indispensible for a free society and that religion was the best source for morality, and so this wall of separation idea that the left has come up with is simply not the view of the founders. And so, back to their view of God, they again, borrowing notions of Christianity, they then threw out what they thought was irrational of the notions of God and their real focus concerning the attributes of God was on benevolence. That was the fundamental attribute that they believed of God. That’s what their reason told them that if there is a God and He created people, His primary motivation, His primary attribute would be benevolence—to be kind and good to those people. And, therefore, they jettisoned whatever beliefs they found to be irrational in light of the benevolence of God; things such as, for example, eternal hell. They didn’t believe in eternal hell because they thought that was irrational that God—as many people struggle with today—that God would create man only to confine him to hell. And so they believed in a temporary punishment after death, but that eventually everyone would end in heaven.
        Last edited by XBowHunter; 03-13-2017, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
          Once religion enters this post......it is over![emoji6]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

We're heading that way[emoji22]

Comment

Originally posted by XBowHunter View Post
            We're heading that way[emoji22]
            I dont think this discussion is headed that way. only reason i posted anything about religion as s because someone else took a little dig at Christianity.
            Several folks love to take little digs at Christianity and i guess expect the christians to simply put up with it.

Comment

I dont think this discussion is headed that way. only reason i posted anything about religion as s because someone else took a little dig at Christianity.
              Several folks love to take little digs at Christianity and i guess expect the christians to simply put up with it.

Would you agree that freedom of religion, also requires freedom from religion?

Comment

our social and moral philosophies are deeply intertwined with our political parties.

And I understand what you say about conservative and a liberal libertarians, but

As a conservative libertarian how do you reconcile the libertarians party stance on abortion and same-sex marriage?

You agree to disagree but at least it's not the sickness of being a liberal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Would you agree that freedom of religion, also requires freedom from religion?
                  In what respect?

Comment

In what respect?

As a Christian, you don't want to have to be exposed to Muslim prayers, do you?

In other words you want freedom from others religions, so that you can have freedom of your religion.

In the same way an atheist might not want to be exposed to anyone's religion; muslim, Jewish, Hindu, Buddhist, Christian or Muslim

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
                      You agree to disagree but at least it's not the sickness of being a liberal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So you disagree with the party platform, but call yourself libertarian anyway?

Comment

As a Christian, you don't want to have to be exposed to Muslim prayers, do you?

In other words you want freedom from others religions, so that you can have freedom of your religion.

In the same way an atheist might not want to be exposed to anyone's religion; muslim, Jewish, Hindu, Buddhist, Christian or Muslim
                        Then no, because athiest want their freedome from religion in order to prevent others from expressing their religion. When a Christian does not want to hear the muslim call to prayer they leave an area where it might be heard or they simply ignore it. When an athiest feels triggered by seeing a nativity scene they bring a lawsuit in order to prevent someone else from freely expressing theirs. Its impossible to have freedom from religion.

Comment

So you disagree with the party platform, but call yourself libertarian anyway?

I disagree with anyone leaning too far one way or the other. At the end of the day I am for whatever protects the citizens of this country and puts more money in MY pocket as long as I work for it. I do have moral values that lean more towards the right but that is not my main focus.
                          Last edited by Black Ice; 03-13-2017, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Then no, because athiest want their freedome from religion in order to prevent others from expressing their religion. When a Christian does not want to hear the muslim call to prayer they leave an area where it might be heard or they simply ignore it. When an athiest feels triggered by seeing a nativity scene they bring a lawsuit in order to prevent someone else from freely expressing theirs. Its impossible to have freedom from religion.

A libertarian believes a nativity scene on private property is not an issue.

When Christians try to force their nativity scenes on the public land/property is where problems start.

Comment

A libertarian believes a nativity scene on private property is not an issue.

When Christians try to force their nativity scenes on the public land/property is where problems start.
                              Why do you always use the word force when referring to Christianity?
                              Gaining permission to put a Christian symbol on public property is not force.
                              When a local gov. Wants to put up a Christian symbol on public property it is not against the law or the constitution. The fact that a " libertarian " or athiest would rather not see it is the problem of the above mentioned. Why should the majority ( regardless if it consist of Christians or not) have to change or remove a symbol simply because a very small fraction insist on causing trouble?
                              There is no seperation of church and state in the constitution, a symbol does not inflict pain and suffering, the reason why this country suffers the ills of political correctness is because a very tiny minority of our population has created trouble where no trouble exist, and too many in the majority have allowed
                              It to take place

Comment

Why do you always use the word force when referring to Christianity?

Gaining permission to put a Christian symbol on public property is not force.

When a local gov. Wants to put up a Christian symbol on public property it is not against the law or the constitution. The fact that a " libertarian " or athiest would rather not see it is the problem of the above mentioned. Why should the majority ( regardless if it consist of Christians or not) have to change or remove a symbol simply because a very small fraction insist on causing trouble?

There is no seperation of church and state in the constitution, a symbol does not inflict pain and suffering, the reason why this country suffers the ills of political correctness is because a very tiny minority of our population has created trouble where no trouble exist, and too many in the majority have allowed

It to take place

So you have no problem with the church of Satan and the church of the flying spaghetti monster putting up their religious scenes right beside a nativity scene? Because that's what the law allows.

Do you want to see a scene from the church of Satan right next to your nativity scene? To me that's disgraceful for Christians, however...

The government should not be in the business of promoting anyone's religion

Comment

Working...
                                X