giving it up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

giving it up

Shoulder has forced me to give up shooting. I listed 2 recurves in the classifieds. I have several more that I'll be selling. Miss going to tbot shoots
    and visiting with great people. Getting old ain't all it's cracked up to be.
    Lippe

Originally posted by mclipp View Post
    Shoulder has forced me to give up shooting. I listed 2 recurves in the classifieds. I have several more that I'll be selling. Miss going to tbot shoots
    and visiting with great people. Getting old ain't all it's cracked up to be.
    Lippe

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=647905
    Get a crossbow with a crankcocker or other cocking device you can handle..Its a whole new world and new learning curve..Wife and I both have shoulder problems and we switches a few years ago...All new Fun

Comment

Man that's a tough pill to swallow. Is there anything you can do to rehabilitate the joint? Maybe pick up a lighter bow and use that until it's back in shooting shape?

Richard.

Comment

Doc said we could do a replacement, but that he couldn't guarantee that I'd be able to shoot bows again. Think I'll pass unless pain gets too bad.
        Already bought an xbow. Maybe I'll shoot some thing with it in October.
        Lippe

Comment

Mark, I am certainly not one to give medical advice or second guess you or your doctor. Last hunting season it was all I could do to get my bow pulled back. Surgeon said I needed rotator cuff surgery. The long and short of it is I did not get the surgery and went through a couple of months of good physical therapy which I did not have a lot of confidence in. It worked. I ended up getting a much lighter bow and started working back into shooting. I am not back to where I started yet but close. I still do a lot of therapy on my own. I should be good to go in October. You may want to get a second opinion on that shoulder. I hate to see you get rid of those nice looking bows.

Comment

Might look into platelet rich plasma therapy too.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. Had 2 surgeries in early 70s due to high school sports. (shoulda skipped the sports and chased cheerleaders instead) Arthritis is mostly the problem now. Have a nephew that is a pt and he's given me some exercises to do - then ice for 15 minutes. It's helped some, just need to do it more consistantly.
              I'm gonna keep a couple of recurves that I have. Even if I can't get back to shooting, I've got 2 grandsons that will be able to shoot my bows in 3-4 years.
              Still want to sell about 3 others besides these two. Went a little crazy buying bows over the years, but it sure was fun.
              Lippe

Comment

Sorry to hear that, I'm 57 so I have switch to a crossbow my wife got me for Christmas can't wait for deer season this year. Hope you find a way to keep shooting.

Comment

I'm sorry to hear iou have to give it up, and dread the day that might happen for me! Just keep on getting out there any way you can, and good luck!

Bisch

Comment

Sorry to hear man. I joined this club about 8 years ago myself after my 4th shoulder surgery. I couldn't pull a bow if it meant saving my life. Bought a crossbow but that's as much cheating as a rifle IMO.
                    I still hunt because I love the outdoors.....but I ain't near as mad at them old bucks as I used to be.

Comment

RascalArms,
                      I'm with ya on that not being mad at em as I used to be, and like you, still enjoy the outdoors. Really enjoy hunting/fishing with grandkids. I see their excitement and it sure brings back memories of my childhood. Kinda excited about the crossbow thing, real accurate even at 40 yds, but I'll keep my shots to 30 because that's how my setups are.
                      I like venison alot, so I take a couple of does a year, haven't shot a buck in 4 years. The right one steps out and he better be ducking.
                      Lippe

Comment

RascalArms,
                        I'm with ya on that not being mad at em as I used to be, and like you, still enjoy the outdoors. Really enjoy hunting/fishing with grandkids. I see their excitement and it sure brings back memories of my childhood. Kinda excited about the crossbow thing, real accurate even at 40 yds, but I'll keep my shots to 30 because that's how my setups are.
                        I like venison alot, so I take a couple of does a year, haven't shot a buck in 4 years. The right one steps out and he better be ducking.
                        Lippe

Don't get me wrong...I still get excited when I see a big deer. The day my heart rate doesn't increase is the day I will stop hunting. I also love guns...always have.
                        To me, the xbow is no different from a rifle since the accuracy is so precise. Especially out to 40-50 yds. Outside of the extra days in the field because of archery season...toting a Xbow into the woods isn't for me. Nothing against anyone wanting to do it though. I'm for all hunters that take an animal by any legal means at all. [emoji106]

Comment

Sorry to hear that. Enjoy the crossbow and keep on hunting!! Being out there is what it's all about anyway.

Comment

Doc said we could do a replacement, but that he couldn't guarantee that I'd be able to shoot bows again. Think I'll pass unless pain gets too bad.
                            Already bought an xbow. Maybe I'll shoot some thing with it in October.
                            Lippe
                            FWIW, my choices were to stop shooting or to have shoulder replacement and hope. I had the shoulder replacement at the end of November. The replacement was of my left shoulder, which is my draw arm. I have been back to shooting since early March - starting at 20# and slowly working up. I can now handle 40# if I don't go nuts with it. At 35# I can pretty shoot without limitation.

If the bad shoulder is your bow arm, it'll take longer - at least it took longer to get where I could lift my arm up stretched out, as opposed to bent at the elbow which is all I need to draw the bow.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Comment

Working...
                            X