No announcement yet.

Growing Oaks from Acorns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finished planting one tray. 49 White Oak, 35 Chinquapin Oak, and 14 *Possible Hybrid White Oak?

*I have a White Oak on my property that produces acorns that are about half the size of a normal White Oak. The leaves and bark look exactly like the surrounding White Oaks but the acorns are always smaller. I am anxious to see how these seedlings grow in comparison to the regular size acorns.

The regular White Oak acorns on the left compared to the acorns of the suspected hybrid White Oak on the right.

Comment

I have about 75 2yr old oak trees in 3gal containers. Basically used a similar method to flint knapper's to start. I also have a few fruit trees that sprouted by accident out of my compost pile. Still working on buying some property to plant them on.

Comment

Originally posted by JMcCullough View Post
        I saw that as well. What a great product and and a man I would have around my campfire anytime.
        Absolutely!
        [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOi-NBIyoN8&sns=em"]Shark Tank - Tree-T-Pee (Amazing Pitch) - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Very cool. Thanks for sharing all this. Me and my brother have a small live oak operation. Trees pictured are all grown from containerized seedlings. Because I am also a tree nerd I gathered bags of white and red oak acorns this fall as well as some "pin " oaks and we are going to see how seedlings from acorns on our water system works. I will use some of this info on this thread!

Comment

The only thing I'm lacking around where I hunt is "WATER" to keep the seedlings alive.

Comment

Planted 98 Allegheny Chinkapins today that are beginning to sprout.

Comment

White Oaks are beginning to take off.

Comment

TTT always wanted to get into this but time just hasn't allowed

Comment

Looking good. I bet you are a proud papa lol.

Comment

Originally posted by EastTx View Post
                      If you want to try I have a lot of left over White Oak acorns. I would be glad to ship you some.
                      If you have any left over and are interested, I would love to buy some and pay shipping!

I have done this before but they were all live oaks. I would like to have some of the White Oaks.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasBear View Post
                        If you have any left over and are interested, I would love to buy some and pay shipping!

I have done this before but they were all live oaks. I would like to have some of the White Oaks.
                        Pm me your address and I will send some to you.

Comment

I've had pretty good luck with Mexican White Oak (Quercus polymorpha) There one tough tree and fast growers. If you grow them outside watch out for the squirrels. They'll steal them.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by EastTx View Post
                            Pm me your address and I will send some to you.
                            Thank you kind sir!

Comment

Originally posted by SLICK_N_STICKY View Post
                              I've had pretty good luck with Mexican White Oak (Quercus polymorpha) There one tough tree and fast growers. If you grow them outside watch out for the squirrels. They'll steal them.

I need about 2000 of those for my place outside of Kerrville, Thanks lol! Live oaks are dropping like flies.

Comment

I would like to try... What do you suggest they are planted in? What kind of lights do you have over them? Anything else I should know?

Comment

Working...
                                X