2017 Gardening thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shake N' Bake View Post
    That is some good lookin soil! Wish I had a little of it at my place!
    Yea, it is fertile. Last year's small garden was pretty much a total loss with all the rain... We got a few 'maters and some okrey... Just before the corn was ready, the coons wiped it out in one night!! Momma was NOT a happy camper...

Last year's garden was just a little 50 foot X 100 foot plot... She wanted bigger this year... Like I posted above, I hope she knows what she's gettin' herseff into! She knows I DON'T DO WEEDS, unless I can plow 'em under with the tractor... hoes and rakes don't fit my hand... I'm a southpaw and we ain't got no southpaw gardening tools!

Comment

I planted spinach,kale,different types of lettuces, sugar snap peas before this 1"
      Rain came in. After we get some good sun they should start peeking out of the ground soon. All went in my raised beds.

Comment

My wife got her 'taters planted and put out her onion sets before the rain... 'Tater planting was a day early (spos'd to plant 'em on Valentine's Day, but wanted to get ahead of the rain that was predicted) Good thing too as we got at least an inch of rain... That ought to make them 'taters n onions get after it now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6406.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	24485408

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6405.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	24485409

Comment

2017 Gardening thread

Got started on some things today. I just hope we don't get a late freeze. We planted tomatoes, squash, egg plant, radish, peppers and beans.

I had some good help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Last edited by salth2o; 02-18-2017, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Got the frame of my GH put up yesterday. Gonna do end walls this weekend then baseboards
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by salth2o View Post
              Got started on some things today. I just hope we don't get a late freeze. We planted tomatoes, squash, egg plant, radish, peppers and beans.

I had some good help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              That is awesome!! You indeed had good help! Hope this rain doesn't wash everything away!

We got our thornless blackberry plants in on the side garden. The main garden is already too wet to do anything in, and now it's getting drenched again!!

Comment

Went to the master gardener plant sale Saturday and got my tomato plants and got them in the ground....so far onions went in the ground 1st week of January, tomatoes in place and going to try to plant potatoes in 5 gallon buckets this week, (going to try 6 buckets)......never tried this before but I'm going to see how it goes...

Comment

Well, I am giving a little go at it! Since I'm a little out of the ordinary, that's kinda how I chose my first ones. I got 2 types of Toms (purple cherokee & Mr. Stripey), poblanos (my neighbor has more than enough jalapeños growin), and "pink lemonade" blueberries all in containers. I also got (3) 4 ft rows of loose-leaf lettuce to try out. We shall see!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Murphey View Post
                    Went to the master gardener plant sale Saturday and got my tomato plants and got them in the ground....so far onions went in the ground 1st week of January, tomatoes in place and going to try to plant potatoes in 5 gallon buckets this week, (going to try 6 buckets)......never tried this before but I'm going to see how it goes...
                    Was there also Saturday and got my tomatoes. Haven't got em planted yet. Do them in big containers. Have had good luck this way, especially with the Juliet hybrids. Bought 6 of those this year

Comment

I would be scared to death to plant all my summer crops now. With my luck we will get a couple of cold fronts between now and Easter and I would lose everything.

Comment

Yea I'm not even gonna do my starts until late march

Comment

Originally posted by tbeak View Post
                          Yea I'm not even gonna do my starts until late march
                          Well, looking at your location, I don't blame you one bit!

Ol' Timers used to say, "If it thunders in February, it will frost in April." And we've had plenty of thunder this February! When it finally does get dry enough for rubber boots in my wife's garden and she plants, she won't plant nothing that cannot be covered quickly... We had a late frost last year, and saved everything only to lose most of it due to drowning with all the rain... Unfortunately, looks like we're headed that way again, only this year, the rains have started earlier...

Comment

I will get a bit of a jumpstart this year since I'll have a green house. But last year the cold and hail took a big toll on the garden. Hail wiped me out 2 separate times

Comment

But I still won't start seeds till middle to end of march

Comment

looks like that round design you have there will keep the snow from stackin' up too deep on it.

Comment

Working...
                                X