No announcement yet.

Lake Grapevine 2016-2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6 years in a row, no draw. Oh well, got my duck permit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by justhrowit View Post
      I like the preference point system but it just won't happen. It can be talked every year, and it will be, but the USACE is not a hunting management company or organization. They just don't have the resources to manage a point system, unfortunately. They pick names manually, for God's sake. Certainly there is a very cheap or free way to pick numbers electronically?
      I'll be curious how many don't pick up permits, again, this year. There is still a major curiosity if antis are applying, but that's a sort of conspiracy theory that I don't feel like writing more about. Larry, you and I have texted and talked to nauseous levels about it. I'm surprised hunting is still allowed out there, honestly. Over the last 6 years, let's say the average number of applications is 500. I don't think that's too far off. By probability alone, I should have drawn three times. Same for Larry, or anyone else. Certainly the USACE can understand why some call the process a little fishy, especially when some people who are pretty vocal about the process continually don't get drawn. Perhaps it's a case of mathematical anomalies? Again... Perhaps I'll just chill out and ignore any conspiracy theory talk, once again.

In the end, I think most would agree, "there's got to be a better way". I know the Grapevine USACE folks are sick of us, but I think many are here to help, provided we could hunt and help make the land/system better, cleaner, safer, etc.

Good luck and congrats to those that have drawn. Hopefully those of us who've never drawn, will be next year.

Cheers

J
      The antis are skewing this up. I spoke with someone on staff a couple of years ago and they said that those people who are anti and applying make it known when they apply.

I still don't understand why Hagerman can do PP and Grapevine can't. Take it one step further and make IBEP certification part of the application process. That would weed out antis.

Comment

Originally posted by grizzman View Post
        The antis are skewing this up. I spoke with someone on staff a couple of years ago and they said that those people who are anti and applying make it known when they apply.

I still don't understand why Hagerman can do PP and Grapevine can't. Take it one step further and make IBEP certification part of the application process. That would weed out antis.
        How are anti's applying? Are these people taking their hunter's Ed classes? Every time I apply I need to show my Hunter's Ed cert. If these people are going in and actually saying "I'm here to take a spot" isn't it in the best interest of the USACE to just turn them away. It's a waste of the corp's time and borders illegal. Illegal is a stretch but some could see it as hunter harassment. I know... That's a stretch. Again.... There's a better way. Personally, charge a fee to apply. Gives dollars to the program and to those who it's not that important to hunt there, they won't apply, in theory. Perhaps it pushes some of the anti's out as well. I like the approach you mentioned similar to that H Place. I don't know the differences in Hagerman and Grapevine. Are both USACE properties?

Comment

Maybe next year I'll put a bunch of people on my application so it's a bigger piece of paper.

At least I'll be out there duck hunting and chasing pigs. It is really weird that the same people are getting drawn year after year and the same are not getting drawn

Comment

Originally posted by justhrowit View Post
            How are anti's applying? Are these people taking their hunter's Ed classes? Every time I apply I need to show my Hunter's Ed cert. If these people are going in and actually saying "I'm here to take a spot" isn't it in the best interest of the USACE to just turn them away. It's a waste of the corp's time and borders illegal. Illegal is a stretch but some could see it as hunter harassment. I know... That's a stretch. Again.... There's a better way. Personally, charge a fee to apply. Gives dollars to the program and to those who it's not that important to hunt there, they won't apply, in theory. Perhaps it pushes some of the anti's out as well. I like the approach you mentioned similar to that H Place. I don't know the differences in Hagerman and Grapevine. Are both USACE properties?
            I don't have to show anything but a driver's license when I apply. I don't ever recall being asked for hunter's ed, but I'm exempt anyway. Maybe they just look at me and figure that I was born before 1971.

The H is a NWR not USACE.

Comment

Originally posted by grizzman View Post

I was wondering about the antis too. Only thing that threw that idea for me was the hunters education requirement. I cant see a bunch of folks paying for and then spending the time on getting hunters ed card. But maybe if its that important to em.

Comment

I'm in!

This is my 4th year to put in and finally was drawn. Time to get down to business now!

Comment

Good luck to all that were drawn!

Comment

looks like the guy directly after me gets to hunt. Sux having this place in my backyard and not being able to take advantage of it.

Comment

I just sent an email asking if it was possible to go to a point system like Hagerman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Lake Grapevine 2016-2017

Now hopefully I can continue getting my shoulder better!
                        Last edited by Shake N' Bake; 08-22-2016, 08:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shake N' Bake View Post

Now hopefully I can continue getting my shoulder better!
                          congrats Bud Its an amazing place to hunt.
                          our lil group drew tags again this season (thank you Grapevine)
                          I persoanlly like the system in place, it keeps the pressure down and the odds are good at around 50 percent chance of drawing!
                          we have applied numbers of times in the last 5 years and not always successful but when i was i made it count! I cant wait to get out there again this year! Thanks Grapevine , keep up the good work there
                          Last edited by ArcheryAssassin; 08-22-2016, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SFAbowhunter View Post
                            My dad was at the office yesterday and said one of the rangers counted how many people didn't turn in their survey's from this past season, and it was the most they have ever seen. 190 out of 250 didn't get turned in. So almost 200 less people in the drawing this year! Guess we will have better odds.
                            yay

Comment

Originally posted by SFAbowhunter View Post
                              Heck yeah! I'm in!!
                              no, we all are in ,, its gonna be a great year i feel it

Comment

Originally posted by ArcheryAssassin View Post
                                no, we all are in ,, its gonna be a great year i feel it
                                I'm ready!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X