No announcement yet.

How safe is a safe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peace of mind. Like they said, if they want it they will take it.

That said Ive NEVER seen one defeated in a burglary. I have seen one carried out of the master bath window and left in the brush. That safe was over 5' tall and the crooks dropped it 4 or 5 times before they hid it. Used T-posts to slide it out the window. Not sure how the owner got it out of the woods.

In recent events it does no good to put large amount of cash and guns in one then forget to lock the **** thing.

Comment

They won't be getting mine. Not bolted down but won't fit out of the closet without taking crown molding off and cutting cabinets back.

We did all that to get it in! So its there until we build our forever home.

And took 3 big guys to wheel it in

Comment

They are "residential security containers" not safes.

If you want a safe you need to go to a TL rating. Very few of those have any fire ratings.

AmSec "American Security" is a good compromise. It costs about what ONE of my custom pistols do. It was an easy decision for me.

They were the only safe I found that actually protected from fires. Your above average thief isn't taking it either. 2000 lbs

Comment

Originally posted by cattlelackranch View Post
          They are "residential security containers" not safes.

If you want a safe you need to go to a TL rating. Very few of those have any fire ratings.

AmSec "American Security" is a good compromise. It costs about what ONE of my custom pistols do. It was an easy decision for me.

They were the only safe I found that actually protected from fires. Your above average thief isn't taking it either. 2000 lbs

Bingo! A RSC is NOT a safe or vault... To read about the difference and see what a real safe looks like, go to www.lonestargunsafes.com and look at their Graffunder safes... Only column you need to look at when deciding is the column that gives the weight of the "safe"... If it's not in the thousands of pounds and it's big enough to hold a long gun, it's a RSC not a Safe...

Comment

Lots of great info!!!

Comment

I actually keep 2 safes. I "nicer" (though not as nice as I ultimately want) in the house, out of sight for the guns. Another, store brand, off the shelf "safe" to lock up ammo that I keep in the garage. Maybe it's a mental thing, but I feel like guns and ammo in separate places adds extra security.

I keep a "self-defense" handgun and ammo close to where I sleep in the event it's needed.

Comment

I've seen a lot of ruined guns inside a safe after a house fire.
                If you want them to protect against fire you probably better put it somewhere that ain't going to burn

Comment

Originally posted by Plain Lucky View Post
                  Anyone ever had one broken into, stolen, or go through a house fire? If you've had one broken into or stolen, any idea on what features a safe could have that would have prevented it? Pure speculation on my part but my guess is they aren't near as hard to get into as we would like to think.
                  Type your exact thread title into the YouTube search bar. Watch about an hour's worth of videos and tell us what you think. The results might surprise you.

Comment

A die grinder and about 2 wheels will cut and peel your safe open in 14 mins. Vid on YouTube. You are stopping the kid on your road that went bad. Not James bond.

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
                      The vast majority of home burglaries are smash and grab by amateurs. These people will be defeated by most good quality gun safes. If a pro wants the contents of your safe, he will get them, given enough time.
                      This^^^^

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                        They won't be getting mine. Not bolted down but won't fit out of the closet without taking crown molding off and cutting cabinets back.

We did all that to get it in! So its there until we build our forever home.

And took 3 big guys to wheel it in
                        Don't need to get it outof the closet. We can lay on it's back, pry open and take the contents. Bolt it down or it's worthless

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

A safe is the safest step in the right direction. I had my house kick-doored in mid day appx. 4 years ago. I had a computer stolen, every TV in the house stolen, and had every gun case in the top of my closet rifled open and thrown around the bedroom out of anger because they were empty. One thing I did not lose was a firearm, nor was my unbolted safe messed with that I could tell. I realized at that point in time how different things would have been if I hadn't have taken the $2,500 plunge on a safe when I did.

Comment

Originally posted by toaster View Post
                            Don't need to get it outof the closet. We can lay on it's back, pry open and take the contents. Bolt it down or it's worthless

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
                            I agree to some extent, if the thief has time to work on your safe. A typical burglary is in and out though, and takes a little more effort and risk to get in one.

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
                              Type your exact thread title into the YouTube search bar. Watch about an hour's worth of videos and tell us what you think. The results might surprise you.
                              Will try but it's difficult to find an hour of free time, someone help me out and tell me what the verdict is?

Comment

I have a browning hells canyon safe and feel pretty confident about my guns when I leave the house.

Yes a determined burglar with enough time and the right tools can get into it. I'm mainly worried about crackheads breaking in while I'm gone. The guns they are looking for are the ones under the bed, in the closet, etc. They aren't going to spend the time breaking into a safe

Comment

Working...
                                X