Restoring bleached antlers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Restoring bleached antlers

Found some old sheds this weekend and would like to restore their color. What do you recommend?

i used walnut stain and it worked good. just depends how dark u want them i like the dark chocalate look. but wood stain works great.

Comment

What tx dropem said,I have done mine like that for years,I usually rub the tips to get that ivory look at the ends

Comment

Old English Furniture Polish-darkest variety red top cap.
        Hope this helps.

Comment

Golden oak wood stain over whole rack. Let dry. Then use steel wool to knock off color on tips and ridges. Next, a little thinned stain of a color of your choice (Walnut for that S Tx look, Red cherry for that red Stx look, Oak for that hillcountry look etc). Take that color and rub on rack from the burrs out toward the end of the color fading out a little before the end of the tines and beams. While still wet again knock off some color toward end and on high spots. After dry, hit it lightly with steel wool to remove teh "shine". Most racks have a 3D color scheme with a camel undercoating. This works well for me. If the rack is really bleached and CRACKED, you might need to seal it first otherwise color will run into cracks and make it look like spider webs.

Comment

Buck Wild or anyone,

What color stain or stains would you suggest for elk antlers. I found an elk shed last year that I would like to add some color to.

Comment

Originally posted by Miller View Post
              Buck Wild or anyone,

What color stain or stains would you suggest for elk antlers. I found an elk shed last year that I would like to add some color to.
              Miller;
              Minwax Early American 230 wood stain,it works on deer & elk - you can get it just about anywhere!

Comment

The minwax furniture wax works great. I have used it for years, it covers and fills the cracks as well as stains. The problem with just the stain, is that it colors what is there, but doesn't do anything to condition or fill cracks. I believe the one I use for antlers is walnut, but I can check tonight.

Comment

Working...
                X