Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Whosure View Post
    John,

What ranges do they use at the range, 15-20yds?
    There are no set ranges! The practice range has target butts from 10 to about 50yds. The targets in the actual shoot will range fromabout 5yds to as far as around 60yds, and even include a flying pig and a steel armadillo! There won't be many 5yd'ers. and there won't be many really long shots either. If I have to guess, I would say the course will average out in the 15-20yd range somewhere. Cowtown is known for setting very shootable courses that can be enjoyed by shooters of all skill levels!

Bisch

Comment

Unless they have HUGE back stops I will pass on the really long ones. Arrows are expensive.

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
        Unless they have HUGE back stops I will pass on the really long ones. Arrows are expensive.

Gary
        The really long one, like the buffalo that is usually set at 50-60yds, is always set where if you miss, your arrow will land in dirt and most likely not be damaged. There are no backstops, unless a tree happens to be lined up just right!

Bisch

Comment

On the one really long shot - the buffalo - we put the target up against a berm so misses are easily found. One thing you will find at these tournaments is that when someone misses, everybody in the group is willing to stop down and help find the arrow. They are a generally a pretty laid-back and helpful bunch. And Bisch is correct - we set deer-sized animals around 15, maybe out to 20. A bigger target like an elk may be a little farther. We have a few small targets at 10 or even less

Comment

More concerned with loss vs tearing them up. I've managed to loose arrows on the way to the lease. I'm not too bright.

Gary

Comment

Back to the top - Hope to see everybody this weekend!

Comment

I'll shoot for 4 rounds on Saturday

Comment

Is it going to snow this year? I went to that shoot. Arvin

Comment

Originally posted by Selfbowman View Post
                    Is it going to snow this year? I went to that shoot. Arvin
                    High of 63* on Saturday, and 71* on Sunday. I bet you can leave the sled at home Arvin!

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                      I would bet that the State Indoor shoot loses more trad folks than Cowtown will will both of these being scheduled at the same time. And like John said, Cowtown has had this same weekend for 10yrs!

Bisch

Comment

Is this shoot at the same place the Texas State Longbow Championship is held? I have been to the longbow championship but my not have ever been to the actual club range.

Thanks

Comment

I checked it out on their website and I believe this is a different range than where the longbow championship is held. If I found it correctly the range is on Watercress Dr.

Comment

Originally posted by Straitshot View Post
                            Is this shoot at the same place the Texas State Longbow Championship is held? I have been to the longbow championship but my not have ever been to the actual club range.

Thanks
                            No! The longbow shoot is at Sherwood, which is off of Camp Bowie Rd. This shoot is at Cowtown Bowmen range over by Lake Worth.

Bisch

Comment

I will be there and hope to meet some of you guys personally. Looking forward to it.

Comment

Looking forward to this; enjoyed last year -- great setting with plenty of shade and friendly folks. Planning to be there for Sunday(work Sat.), hoping in time to shoot a couple of rounds. Am I correct in thinking that "open" categories refer to shooting carbon arrows, with "wood" meaning only wood arrows?

Comment

Working...
                                X