No announcement yet.

Thanksgiving turkey tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CaptJack Do you brine over knight? I have a 21lb turkey. We are eating at 1:00. Any idea what time I need to put it on.

Comment

My wife just made one in a Brine at it is the best Turkey I have ever eaten. Not sure the Brine but it sat in it for 2 days and is the juiciest Turkey I have had.

Comment

Howdy Jack, how long did the turkey breast take cook?

Comment

Here’s what I’m doing tomorrow. Got two 13 pounders in brine and going to smoke them with mesquite on a 22” WSM. Never done it this way so fingers are crossed!

The smoked maple barbecue turkey is, quite frankly, one of, if not the best, smoked turkey recipes I've done yet (if I can say that with a certain amount

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by CaptJack View Post
            Since Thanksgiving and cooking turkey is upon us
            I thought I'd pass along some tips
            The easiest way to brine a turkey is in a Reynolds oven bag
            they are very tough and won't leak if you don't poke any holes in them
            I put the turkey in the bag breast side down and squeeze out as much air as possible
            the basic recipe for brine is 1-cup of salt to 1-gallon of water
            some folks add sugar. I just add a bunch of Montreal chicken seasoning to the water
            I BBQ roast mine in a 22" OldSmokey set up for two-sided indirect
            with a raised drip pan between the two coal beds
            the OldSmokey runs around 325° which cooks in normal time
            it doesn't dry out the meat like a long slow smoke and you get good skin
            I cook the turkey to 160° in the breast, then put a loose foil tent over it when it rests
            I think I could eat that it looks good

Comment

Thanksgiving turkey tips

I have one on the smoker now. I’ve never brined a bird or any meat for that matter. Just don’t see a 24 hours salt water bath being good for you.

I do inject mine and the juice just runs out of it when sliced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Thanksgiving turkey tips

Went out to baste my turkeys and the plastic thingy had popped up. Skin had spilt slightly on one, so I’m assuming they are done. Don’t have a meat thermometer. 4hrs at 275 on my WSM. I double wrapped each in foil and placed them in a cooler to rest. Not worried about crispy skin, just want the meat to be good. We’ll find out in about an hour!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Forgot to post. They were really good. The mesquite was not overpowering, and the brine was well worth the extra effort

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Mine turned out great as well. Thanks for the tip!

Comment

We have always brined and smoked and always had rave compliments. The last 2 years, we found a way to kick it up a notch and have now reached the PERFECT level by adding 1 more trick: it's called spatchcocking.( same as butterflying) By removing the backbone and flattening the bird, all the meat is on the same level and because the inside of the bird is now flat on the grates, you get much more smoked and grilled flavor. The breast is just as juicy as the leg meat. Cooking time is less too.Highly recommend trying it. There are a lot of good UTube videos you can google. We do all our turkeys and chickens this way now.

Comment

So we are going to smoke 2 ten pound turkeys on the smoker. Should we brine them first?

Comment

Bump. I’ve heard you don’t want to brine a bird too long or they get “mushy.” How long should I brine a turkey?

Comment

Working...
                          X