Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bad cheap timers????

I need some green screen help.
    I have about 19 timed feeders running between the company deer lease I manage and my own property. The last couple of years I've been having issues where you think you have a feeder working properly, replace battery, check to see if solar panel is working, etc and a month later the battery is low and the feeder not working.
    This past month I've been pulling all the batteries, charging them and testing them and disposing of all the bad ones.
    For some reason I tested some of the timers. I hooked a volt meter to the wires that go to the motor and there is voltage going out when the timer is not on. The 6 volt timers have up to around 4-1/2 volts going out and the 12 volt timers have some pushing almost 7 volts across them. This is mainly on the cheap timers. The Timer didn't have any voltage going out when not running as did some of the other "better" timers I have.
    I've hunted for over 30 years so have accumulated all brands of timers over the years.
    The biggest ones with issues is the Academy game winner, Wild view and Remington timers.
    I'm not very electrical so I don't know the draw in milliamps these are letting thru. It looks to be minor but can anyone elaborate on this? Is this causing my problem. Has anyone else started to see this?
    I know the long term answer is to get away from cheap timers and I've been slowly doing this. I thought these cheaper timers wouldn't last as long but never thought they would give me these other issues and possibly wear out the batteries faster.

all season timers are the best you can buy!!!!

Comment

Are you looking for an electronic game feeder timer that is easy to install and operate? If so, then order The-Timer from All Seasons Feeders here!

Comment

I have had HCR and ASF Feeders timers that were 15 yrs old and still working on ranches I managed. Some of the ranches had 25+ feeders. I still have one ASF timer that is going on 17 yrs old. I currently have 4 of The Timer's and they are going on 5 yrs old. Only had one issue with one of them and it was replaced under warranty. I have only used 12 volt timers. I have always used solar panels and have needed to replace a few in the last 25 yrs of using them.

Comment

If your batteries are running down, something has to be using this "leaking" power...be it the timer display, the timer crystal (clock), a short, etc. If your solar panel's diode (?) does not prevent discharge during darkness, it may test fine in daylight but be failing at night.

Comment

THE TIMER....and be done

Comment

Originally posted by hammer63 View Post
              If your batteries are running down, something has to be using this "leaking" power...be it the timer display, the timer crystal (clock), a short, etc. If your solar panel's diode (?) does not prevent discharge during darkness, it may test fine in daylight but be failing at night.
              This, just bc the panel shows good during the day doesn't mean you have an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by hammer63 View Post
                We checked the timers and they were only letting thru about 59 micro amps when not in use. It probably shouldn't be letting thru any but we don't think this is enough to draw down the batteries. I guess I'll need to check the solar panels to see if those diodes are bad.

Thanks for the insight

Comment

Originally posted by TAMU84 View Post
                  We checked the timers and they were only letting thru about 59 micro amps when not in use. It probably shouldn't be letting thru any but we don't think this is enough to draw down the batteries. I guess I'll need to check the solar panels to see if those diodes are bad.

Thanks for the insight
                  Yeah, a micro amp, being .000001 amps, isn't much draw on a battery. Keep us posted.

Comment

Working...
                  X