Turkey Spur Necklaces/Displays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turkey Spur Necklaces/Displays

Who has them and do you mind showing them off? I've got a few pair from the past couple of years and would like to make a necklace/display of them.....just not sure how to fix them up.

Do you leave the redness of the leg or do you bleach them like on a euro mount???? I'm clueless on how to go about doing this project.

Help a brother out fellas! TBH'ers to the rescue!!!

Thanks,
    Greg

bump

Comment

I found this on a web site!
      Here are the general steps involved in making a spur necklace. This is how I did all of the spurs shown above but remember each set of spurs is a little different so you may have to adjust boiling times etc. Just be careful and watch them closely during the boiling stage.

Take a hacksaw or some other very fine-toothed saw and cut through the leg above and below the spur. This will leave you with a piece of the leg bone about 1/2" long that has the spur attached.
      Take a knife and remove as much of the skin and ligaments from the bone as possible. Also, take a pipe cleaner or some other instrument and push out the bone marrow from the leg bone.
      After they are as clean as possible, put them into a pot of boiling water which has a couple of tablespoons of dish soap added to it. Boil the spurs for a few minutes and remove them, let them cool, and try to scrape off any remaining material. Most of the time, you will have to boil them more until they are clean. This is not an exact process. You'll have to closely watch the spurs and decide for yourself when they are clean enough and making sure the spur's covering is not discoloring too much. The spur covering will lighten during the boiling process but it should darken back up.
      After the spurs are clean, remove them and let them dry and see how white the bone is. If they are not white enough, you can prop the spur up in a small pan or dish of hydrogen peroxide to just soak the leg bone part only, leaving the spur dry above the peroxide. If you try to use bleach here it will eventually eat into the bones but I've soaked bones in peroxide overnight with good results. Also, some bones for whatever reason just don't take on a nice white color. I've found that cleaning the spurs as soon as possible after shooting the gobbler will give the whitest results.
      After the spur has dried, take a Dremel-like tool and grind off the ends of the bones to get the desired width. A file and/or sandpaper can accomplish the same thing with a little work. I like a little bone showing past the spur while many others will take off more bone than this.
      String up your spurs as they are on a leather lace or string. Or, spray the spur with some clear polyurethane for a glossier look. Wooden beads make good spacers and can be found at any craft store.
      Attached Files

Comment

Looks Good.

Comment

I don't have enough for a necklace. I just display them with their beards, a leather strap and shotgun shell brass like below......Only one of these was killed with a shotgun and I used the 20 gauge shell I shot it with. Could figure out how to make a broadhead look good with it so I made them all brass..

Comment

I've done quite a few, this is the one I did last year(Notice the missing Tail Feather, It was just like that when I shot him, so I left it) They are really easy to do.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
              Could figure out how to make a broadhead look good with it so I made them all brass..

Should read "Couldn't figure out".

Comment

I have basically done the same thing that Smart showed in his picture except I used an old arrow I bought somewhere that is a replica of a real Indian arrow.

The spurs are made into what my Taxi calls a "Thong". I think he now gets about $60 to do one. It is a leather string with a small leather pouch (goes same place Jason's shotgun brass is located) and the spurs are freeze dried.

I have a ton of these and have 2-3 hanging from my rearview mirror in my truck as well. Always a good conversation piece with the local popo that stop me on highway 67 in Runnels/Tom Green/Irion County.

I next want to get a turkey foot with its middle finger extended and somehow have it suction-cup mounted to my front windshield! Any of you greenscreen Taxis ever done and can do this type of deal?

Comment

Hot-dang I just grew summore points!

I am still a cull though!

Comment

[QUOTE=Smart;1333543]I don't have enough for a necklace. I just display them with their beards, a leather strap and shotgun shell brass like below......Only one of these was killed with a shotgun and I used the 20 gauge shell I shot it with. Could figure out how to make a broadhead look good with it so I made them all brass..

how did you attach the beard to the brass? i had the same idea, but was not sure just how to do it.....thanks!

Comment

[quote=jake03;1334221]
                      Originally posted by Smart View Post
                      I don't have enough for a necklace. I just display them with their beards, a leather strap and shotgun shell brass like below......Only one of these was killed with a shotgun and I used the 20 gauge shell I shot it with. Could figure out how to make a broadhead look good with it so I made them all brass..

how did you attach the beard to the brass? i had the same idea, but was not sure just how to do it.....thanks!

pulled both sides of the leather through the primer and used a $3 hotglue gun from walmart to glue them to each side of the beard...

Comment

[QUOTE=Smart;1334234]
                        Originally posted by jake03 View Post

pulled both sides of the leather through the primer and used a $3 hotglue gun from walmart to glue them to each side of the beard...
                        cool....thanks....i'll give it a try....

Comment

So, I guess if the spurs are from the past couple of years, I'm out of luck for the whitening? They are still red just like the day I cut them off.

But Coop has the idea like I'm looking for.

Thanks guys for the input!

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by ashx2 View Post
                            So, I guess if the spurs are from the past couple of years, I'm out of luck for the whitening? They are still red just like the day I cut them off.

But Coop has the idea like I'm looking for.

Thanks guys for the input!

Greg

I'd bet that peroxide used in euro mounts will whiten them up quite a bit.

Comment

I hope so Jason. I'm gonna give it a try and see what happens.

Greg

Comment

Working...
                              X