Devil's River Exotic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Devil's River Exotic

Got drawn for the Devil's River SNA Exotic hunt and it looks like my group has left me high and dry. Not sure I want to try this one alone, who else is going to Devil's River SNA 12/5.

Originally posted by DAY1 View Post
    Got drawn for the Devil's River SNA Exotic hunt and it looks like my group has left me high and dry. Not sure I want to try this one alone, who else is going to Devil's River SNA 12/5.
    I would not try it alone. I went on this hunt 3yrs ago and it was by far the most difficult hunt I had ever been on. There is a good herd of sheep on the place but getting them up/down the hills (BIG) is tough.

Comment

As tuff as it may be to hunt there alone, I would go anyway. Devils river is an amazing and rugged place. Very little infrastructure and very wild.

Comment

I would not do this hunt alone. I went on this hunt last year and as Kutnchute said "This was the most difficult hunt I had ever been on". Devil's River is an amaxing place to see and that is worth the trip alone.

Comment

there is aboslutly nothing wrong with going solo. just make smart choices during your hunt, have the right gear and carry a communication device, if cell phone does not work get a "SPOT" they are really cool. i carry one, when in the mountains.

Comment

Originally posted by DAY1 View Post
            That sucks why are they leaving you high and dry after getting drawn? Exotic hunts are tough to get drawn for and they dont want to go?

Comment

Schedule problems and this was the hunt they could not make.

Comment

I’ve hunted Devils River alone before. As mentioned it’s a tough hunt and the country is rugged and remote. You just need to know your limitations and don’t take any chances. Odds are they may pair you up with another solo party, but if not just plan on quitting early enough each day to make it back to the headquarters well before dark. You’re never really alone on TPWD hunts. Keep in communication with the other parties and the park ranger and you’ll be fine. If you kill something and can’t get anyone to help pack it out, just quarter it up and pack it out one piece at a time (head first of course).

Also, the SPOT sounds like a good idea. Make your buddies pay for it since they are the ones that put you in this situation.

Comment

I've hunted across the road from the Devils river WMA and that country is indeed rugged but incredibly beautiful. Follow 30-06's suggestions and know your limits and you'll do fine.

Comment

We hunted there a few years ago on the gun exotic hunt. Everyone else has been giving you good advice.

We were a little disappointed because we expecting a lot of audad. The success percentage was well above 100%. What we didn't know was spanish goats are considered exotics. I don't mean down the hunt, we just went in with different expectations.

Comment

Sounds like some stand by spots will be available

Comment

we hunted just down the Dolan Creek road from the WMA for 14 years. Rough country but beautiful. Just watch your step[literally] and you will be fine.one sugestion...try to hunt uphill from your vehicle....it's a lot easier to pull one downhill rather than uphill....

Comment

Originally posted by Italianxbowuser View Post
                          Sounds like some stand by spots will be available
                          Negative. Devil's River doesn't take standby on these hunts. Says so in the book.

To the OP, I've always hunted the TPWD hunts alone and in some of the most remote places in Texas. Don't pass up the chance just because your buddies aren't going. Their loss. Go, be careful, and have fun!!!! You might not draw this hunt again for another 10 years.

Comment

Never pass up a time to hunt. I would go alone just for the fun of it. GOOD LUCK.

Comment

Can't stand to give up the hunt. I'm going to go solo.

Comment

Working...
                              X