Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deer Meat...How long will it keep on ice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deer Meat...How long will it keep on ice?

Hoe long will it keep in a cooler on ice before going bad? I have had some on ice for about 7 days now. Is it bad?

I've done it that long and not had a problem. As long as you've kept it iced and drained well. Beef is aged for 7 days, on average.

Comment

As long as it is Ice then you are fine but I would do something with it pretty quick, in the next day or two.

I know many, many people that will "bleed out" their deer for a week before processing in ice chests. They drain the water and add more ice and do that every day for a while.
      Last edited by Mike; 12-21-2009, 10:49 AM.

Comment

I always keep mine on ice 5-7 days with no problem. As long as you keep it packed you are fine.

Comment

A few of my deer this year have sat for 7 days in the cooler (plug pulled, tipped at 45 degrees, always covered with ice). No problem at all, though I wouldn't go any longer. Preference is 5 days, but one tends to get lazy now and then.

Comment

Make sure the drain can drip but is not open.

But I always do mine for 5-6 days. But like others said do not let it sit in the ice water, just in the ice. I think it makes the meat a lot better so instead of thinking it's bad you should be thinking about how good it will be...if it was iced right the whole time.

Comment

It's all about the temp -- keep it cold and it will stay good forever.....

I used to keep my igloo inside the walk-in cooler for two weeks, the deer would hang in the freezer for up to ten days, then be quartered, then go in the super cold ice chest -- it would stay good for another week till I could get everything to the processor.

Don't leave the cooler sitting in the sun, the meat on top will go bad, and the ice won't last as long.

And just crack the drain cap, don't leave it open....

Comment

It's still good, like the others said keep it cold!

Comment

Cooked some yesterday that had been 12 days with no problem. Just make sure you drain and the meat is not stuck together or it will spoil if it does not get cool all around. We have spent 3 weeks hunting and killed the first day and never had a problem.

Comment

That will be some dang good meat. I keep mine on ice at least 5 days. Is an amazing the difference in taste aging on ice makes.

Comment

I keep mine covered with ice, draining the water twice a day for 2 weeks.

Comment

Should be fine....my experience, after processing approx 100 deer myself in the past 22 years (plus an elk this year), is that it if you keep it cold (with ice or in a fridge) it will stay fresh for 3.5 weeks. In other words, you have 3.5 weeks to get in the freezer.

Comment

we keep ours in the fridge on cookie sheets (covered with plastic wrap) for seven days and we flip it every day then wrap it and stick it in the freezer. At the end of the season we thaw everything out and cut off the bad parts then process it.

forgot to add that the dogs get all the scraps that we cut off.
                          Last edited by Captrix; 12-21-2009, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sticks&Strings View Post
                            Hoe long will it keep in a cooler on ice before going bad? I have had some on ice for about 7 days now. Is it bad?
                            If it has been on ice the whole time, you are fine. I try for two weeks, but have left it as long as three with no problems. Meat gets a richer flavor, and is more tender.

Comment

Originally posted by Casey View Post
                              I've done it that long and not had a problem. As long as you've kept it iced and drained well. Beef is aged for 7 days, on average.
                              x2

Comment

Working...
                              X