Indian artifact excavation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SouthernCamo View Post
    Steve when this wet weather subsides it's going be time to fire up big blue and kill some dirt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    That top pic makes my mouth water. i remember every one of them. Another year of great adventure last year for sure.

Comment

Those are sure some pretty points there Southerncamo. The knapper used very high quality flint and much of it looks to be heat treated. Just beautiful.

Are y'all finding all of this on the river or perhaps on a high point nearby? Some years ago we drilled a well in Parker County on property that went to the Brazos. I found a camp on a high bluff overlooking the river with great views. Unfortunately for me someone had already worked it pretty good and there wasn't much left except for chips and a busted mano.

Comment

Garguy I have some promising sites to dig, but haven't had time yet. Really need to build a mechanized sifter. One area is a mound along a creek. There may actually be more than one. I didn't see this one until after mowing down the vegetation late this past fall. I've been told that flint has been found near this creek.

Comment

Outstanding

Comment

Originally posted by Worksalot View Post
            Garguy I have some promising sites to dig, but haven't had time yet. Really need to build a mechanized sifter. One area is a mound along a creek. There may actually be more than one. I didn't see this one until after mowing down the vegetation late this past fall. I've been told that flint has been found near this creek.
            What part of the state?

Comment

This would be northeast.

Comment

Originally posted by Worksalot View Post
                This would be northeast.
                Lots of poor material there but the paleo folks imported good rock so if you have an older site here may be some good stuff.

Comment

We have a family place in OK and in about a 20 yard stretch that is a road heading down to one of our creek crossings i have found 6 arrowheads on the surface. Tons of flakes and everytime it rains i can't wait to get back. Would this be a locations to start digging? It would would be all hand equipment but I've been thinking about getting some shovels, buckets, and sifter and spend a few days in that location.
                  Would most of the points just be ones that have been washed down over the years?
                  Tishomingo area

Comment

Originally posted by GGTexas34111 View Post
                    We have a family place in OK and in about a 20 yard stretch that is a road heading down to one of our creek crossings i have found 6 arrowheads on the surface. Tons of flakes and everytime it rains i can't wait to get back. Would this be a locations to start digging? It would would be all hand equipment but I've been thinking about getting some shovels, buckets, and sifter and spend a few days in that location.
                    Would most of the points just be ones that have been washed down over the years?
                    Tishomingo area
                    It will likely be a mix of thousands of years of occupation if its a high spot near running water. Should be a great place to dig. Look at the spot and pick where you would set your tent if you was planning to camp there long term and get water from the stream. Thats the place to start.

Comment

Thanks GarGuy.
                      I'll give it a shot

Comment

Thanks GarGuy.
                        I'll give it a shot
                        Post what you have found and we may be able to help with age.

Comment

Hey Steve ,what are your thoughts on how long people were here in America? only 10,000like the mainstream science or much older ? I think wayyy older.

Comment

Tishomingo area
                            You might want to check OK laws. It is illegal to dig there...

Comment

Originally posted by mudkat View Post
                              Hey Steve ,what are your thoughts on how long people were here in America? only 10,000like the mainstream science or much older ? I think wayyy older.
                              Definately 14000 plus. thats pretty well proven at this point. Likely much longer. i believe there have been some solid carbon dates at 17,000 plus now as well although there is still disagreement on much of that.

Comment

Here are some of my "birdies", mostly from last summer. Justin, please feel free to post your stunning frames.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X