Shooting Form

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by topshot View Post
    Does anyone here have a complete breakdown guide on proper shooting form?

any tips on how to get my left arm (bow arm) to stay up on target and not drift below?
    The B.E.S.T. Technique is what you are looking for, but I have no idea where you can buy a guide as such. The only way I know to get on is by attending classes to become a NFAA coach. There is a reason for this; the BEST technique is designed to be used as a guide only and not for pure learning. The BEST technique is to be taught with a coach present; that is how it is designed. So no, there is no "guide" for archery form per se.

However, there could be an easy reason you are locking up low on the target. More often than not I see people doing this one thing wrong with the same condition you are describing.

It is not target panic but it can definitely lead to target panic if left unchecked.

Watch this video for a full explanation.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gexDLptcios&index=18&list=PLuQaON7ehdecO82 aFUzBYfHWH9lTWhDW0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gexDLptcios&index=18&list=PLuQaON7ehdecO82 aFUzBYfHWH9lTWhDW0[/ame]

Comment

^ I'm going to have to try that muscle release!

thanks for the tips guys, I know right off hand that I do not raise my elbow up above my shoulder. I may try it to see if I get more stability.

Last edited by topshot; 09-14-2017, 10:04 AM.

Comment

I always feel like I'm shooting the wrong way, but when I force myself to put the pin on where I wanna hit I never hit it, close but don't hit it. When I get settled in and don't focus on the pin and just focus on what I wanna hit I'll hit it every time

It bugs me, not sure if it should or not

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
          Study every detail of this image to learn perfect form

[ATTACH]872494[/ATTACH]

That's pretty close, but I think there's still room for improvement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I had the same problem of holding low. I switched to a down pin and solve the issue. I think the brain is trying to compensate for the actual pin being in the way. Up pin holds low, down pin holds on.

Comment

Form is way overrated. I hear guys say all the time that bad form leads to target panic. I say, not a chance.

I'm reminded of some of the greats of yesteryear such as Dr. Fred Simmons, Jr. He won the NFAAs shooting instinctive while leaning so far toward the target it looked like he was about to fall over. There are others I can think of with similarly "unapproved" form who shot extremely well.

Comment

Originally posted by kd350 View Post
                I always feel like I'm shooting the wrong way, but when I force myself to put the pin on where I wanna hit I never hit it, close but don't hit it. When I get settled in and don't focus on the pin and just focus on what I wanna hit I'll hit it every time

It bugs me, not sure if it should or not
                This is how it should be done. Focus on the target, not the pin; let the body center the pin using biomechanics and a surprise release.

In order to have the pin in the right place, you must not think about the pin.

What you do takes some people years to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by AJ the TP Guru View Post
                  Form is way overrated. I hear guys say all the time that bad form leads to target panic. I say, not a chance.
                  I respectfully disagree.
                  Just because a shooter has bad form and doesn't get target panic does not mean that bad form never leads to target panic.

This particular scenario is exactly one cause. The dip-bang can be due to bad form, which will cause drive-by shooting, which (if left unchecked) leads to full blown target panic.

You are correct, I believe, in that there isn't a "perfect form" for every shooter; but every shooter has "A" perfect form, it just may not be the same as the next guy on the line.

Reo Wilde is a great example with his sever lean, Sarah Soneschen is another with her severely bent elbow and command shooting. By "most" established archery standards these are form flaws; yet Sarah is No. 1 in the world and Reo is a past no. 1. IOW, it is "their" perfect form.

But I believe there are some form flaws that can lead to target panic, as I mentioned. "Never" and "always" are two words that only rarely apply to archery.

Comment

Originally posted by Rat View Post
                    This is how it should be done. Focus on the target, not the pin; let the body center the pin using biomechanics and a surprise release.

In order to have the pin in the right place, you must not think about the pin.

What you do takes some people years to learn.

So even though the pin isn't anywhere even close to the spot when I release this is how it's supposed to be done?

If I make myself look for the pin before the shot goes the pin is usually 3-4" off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Those pictures help archers keep abreast of techniques--right?

Comment

Originally posted by kd350 View Post
                        So even though the pin isn't anywhere even close to the spot when I release this is how it's supposed to be done?

If I make myself look for the pin before the shot goes the pin is usually 3-4" off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                        Usually the pin is close to the bull, maybe not right on it, just floating around a bit. 3-4 inches is a long way off, I would have to watch you shoot to know what was going on.

But if it is working for you don't throw it away just because someone else says it's wrong.

You will notice I never give people form advice unless they are asking for form advice. Everyone shoots differently and what looks wrong to me may work for some people. I only give advice to people who are looking for it, then I break it all down.

If it is working for you and isn't going to cause irreparable damage to your body, keep doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rat View Post
                          Usually the pin is close to the bull, maybe not right on it, just floating around a bit. 3-4 inches is a long way off, I would have to watch you shoot to know what was going on.

But if it is working for you don't throw it away just because someone else says it's wrong.

You will notice I never give people form advice unless they are asking for form advice. Everyone shoots differently and what looks wrong to me may work for some people. I only give advice to people who are looking for it, then I break it all down.

If it is working for you and isn't going to cause irreparable damage to your body, keep doing it.

Bingo.

Tools to put in the tool box. Use the ones that work for you. Not everyone is going to stand and draw the same.

Ive never been able to squeeze a trigger on a release. Ive tried and I guess it causes panic cause my groups go all the hell. Let me snap shoot at quarters at 20 yards and I'll make change

A rifle is another story. I can squeeze on a gun for some reason

Comment

Working...
                          X