No announcement yet.

Adventures in "trad" fishing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great write up Scott. I could go to the pond at my house right now, but the fly might be a lightening bug, as it is really storming outside. Have fun at class on Saturday and let me know what you learn.

I could meet any night except Wednesday next week. I could meet on Wed. but my time is limited.

Comment

Okay, I'll check with the activities schedule. Maybe Monday?

Yeah, this weather pattern has been a bummer. Rain = can't shoot, can't fish...

Comment

Was at the Y again. The bass are getting bigger... pulled in a 13" one and his lil brother. Moved off the dock towards a tree and battled with a really good one before he broke the tippet. My fault for not swapping out between good fights. I will be back though... it was a nice fish! Bigger than the 13" for sure.

Comment

Chunky, what about Monday night next week?

Comment

My wife took pictures this time so I had to be in it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1405647302027.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	24317042

Comment

Monday should work, weather permitting. Let me know.

Comment

Yep, confirmed for Monday. Now we need to pick a pond. I will post up the link tomorrow and let you chose this time. There is a feeder to lake woodlands that sounds intersting.

Comment

Nice write Scott!

Comment

Here is a great site for the woodlands lakes/ponds.

We fished Alden Woods. I did try out Creekwood and liked it's potential. There is parking there... but also a pool and skate park, so I don't know how crowded it gets during the weekday.

I do want to try Wedgewood pond, but it looks like street parking is all that is available.

Take a look and let me know what you want to try.

Comment

First catfish on a fly. He took that red doohiky fly I made that I call a roman soldier.

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1405734045509.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	24317182

Comment

Awesomeness!

Comment

Caught alot of.different fish on the fly

Comment

Awesome catch!

Comment

Hey Paul, post up a picture of your foam spider. Mine didn't float the way I hoped. The leg placement needs work.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                                Hey Paul, post up a picture of your foam spider. Mine didn't float the way I hoped. The leg placement needs work.
                                What i saw w your spider is you used to big of a hook for most top water flies that are small yo kind tie it on a hook just a little longer that the headand not really into the abdomen. I tie a minnow pattern and the head is the hook and tail is well past it. But also wrap the thread the entire shank of the hook, this will help the water adhere to the hook and make the fly rid true. Also those spiders may need to be true to size and color. So go catch a water spider and look at it pic a hook that will go to his abdomen, cut foam to length of body an use a thread color that is the color of the segments. Today is the first day i fly fished in a long time. Was in perch jerkin heaven at Guadalupe state park caught some slabs i used sneaky petes. I will have to look for my spiders or tie up some new ones.

Comment

Working...
                                X