No announcement yet.

Soft shell turtle - Good to eat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I came across one one time in my ups truck. Sucker was no joke bigger than a trash can lid. I tried to help it cross the road it was meaner than haties

Comment

Ate my share as kid mostly soups stews gumbos....Yea there a little trouble to clean..But of course now days you can sit around and watch TV or play on cell...I go for turtle cleaning its more fun...and free lunch

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
        My uncle had a seafood place under the bridge right by McDermott yard.

The best way to have it is Turtle Sauce Piquant. It’s more like a crawfish etouffee than a gumbo.
        Man, with a good sauce piquant, boot leather tastes good!! Had an old friend on our deer lease that grew up on Lake Pontchartrain and he'd make a sauce piquant in a big ol Mag-na-lite 2 burner pot or pot roast duck that would make you go home an' slap yo mamma cause she can't cook like dat!! My favorite I think tho was when he used redfish.

Comment

They are good fried or in soup and gumbo, I think they are a lot easier to clean than a hard shell, pretty sure it can be done with just a sharp knife. My Dad or Grandpappy always did the cleaning.

Comment

They are good just be sure to remove all of the fat.

Comment

Delicious to eat.

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post

I have eaten it in soup, fried, and very similar to this. Except, I like to use gulf oysters instead of shrimp. Either is good though. The main ingredient is the cajun holy grail.
                Have done it this way too. Except I used crawfish instead of shrimp. And chicken instead of turtle.

Comment

Carve out meat and then make turtle soup following Brennan's recipe: http://www.brennansneworleans.com/recipes/turtle-soup/.

I like to grind it versus cubing.

Comment

Originally posted by bruschu View Post
                    Carve out meat and then make turtle soup following Brennan's recipe: http://www.brennansneworleans.com/recipes/turtle-soup/.

I like to grind it versus cubing.
                    That sounds like the ticket right there!! Thanks for posting.

Comment

Yeah they're good to eat

Comment

Originally posted by cuttingedge View Post
                        They are excellent table fair. They need to be put in a tub of fresh water to purge. My brother used a galvanized tank maybe thigh high. He would catch them and put them in the tank for a couple of days, then clean and chicken fry them. That was in MO and the temps weren't what they will be in TXT.
                        x'2 plus cut the head and bleed them out

Comment

No sir. Not as long as there are speckled trout, redfish, bass, catfish and crappie swimming in Texas. Theres also alot of deer and pigs runnin around these days.

Comment

Heck yeah its good. It sales for about $18 per lb. around here.

Comment

Ate plenty of fried fried softshells when I was a youngster. I really liked it. Havent heard of purging?

Comment

Originally posted by pervis View Post
                                I came across one one time in my ups truck. Sucker was no joke bigger than a trash can lid. I tried to help it cross the road it was meaner than haties
                                I was about to say I didnt know they could jump that high

Comment

Working...
                                X