No announcement yet.

Old Farts Elk Hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds great to me and I qualify also so I am in.

Comment

Be careful with meat packing services, some of them share GPS coordinates with buddy's, where elk are taken. Not all but some do, just a heads up.

Comment

If you don't carry a tarp just skin it and use the hide for the quarters. If gutless, leave the hide on then just lay them hide down. A little dirt or hair on the exposed meat will be cut off anyway during processing.
        If no trees to hang the quarters, lay them on some sage or something just off the ground. Even if kind of warm outside, the wind circulating around the meat will help start cooling it right away. If you can haul brush to shade them do it.
        Cut the lower legs off the quarters before you pack them out, saves lots on weight. They can be cut at the joint with a good knife.
        I can pack a front quarter on any size elk, backs are another matter. Big bulls weigh just enough top make it very hard, I'm 5'6'' 132 lbs. Boned out takes time but really takes off weight. Make sure to remove the lower jaw and ears from the head to pack out the antlers.
        We hunt with day packs only then bring in the pack frame for the pack out. With a day pack we can haul out the first small load then make only 2 more with the both of us and pack frames. Haul out the straps and boned out meat first trip , maybe the head if it's the easiest without a pack frame, after that a quarter each gets it done in 2 trips. Small elk maybe two quarters each for one more trip.
        Have some rope or paracord in your day pack for hanging quarters if trees nearby while you work, also useful for tying up legs for quartersing or gutting.
        We shot elk one year on a 60 + degree day in the wide open. Got them both quartered and placed on top of the small sage bushes around. Made the trip to get the atv and packs for the short haul to the vehicle. Gone about 45 minutes or so, elk quarters were already cool to touch on surface just due to the wind circulation around them even in the sun. Meat was fine .
        Make your pack weight manageable and you'll be fine. You may be surprised folks that offer to help with a pack out . I know we would offer help if we saw someone who obviously needed it.

Maybe get some PP for Wyoming and come up for a less pressured hunt. General areas are not bad up here.

Comment

For what it's worth, I have been going to Colorado since '78, missing only 2 years. Trad only since 2001. I set up a base camp where I can hunt from there, drive a short distance and go on my quad, or go to the Wilderness area and hike in. Many options. Like anywhere, it may rain, but mostly it's great weather. Some years are warmer than others. It is what it is. I like to walk and cow call a little in the morning, and head that way if I get a response. Stay alert. Just because you don't hear them doesn't mean they are not coming. I like to sit on a wallow in the evening. They will come sooner or later. I had several good bulls on camera coming in just after sundown last year. I killed a good 6x6 in 2015 at the wallow. The pack out was a wake up call. Probably about 3/4 mile, a little up hill before hitting the flat ground. 5 loads took me all day. I had game bags, which were a life saver, because it was warm, and the flies were terrible. A bone-in hind quarter, cut off at the knee, weighed 72lbs at the meat
          market. Last load with hide and horns and everything else was worse. Should mention that I go alone and will be 64 in 2 weeks. Choose you hunting partners and your choice of shot carefully. Shooting a cow or raghorn in some Hell hole may make you wish you didn't. Just my 2 cents. Good luck!

Comment

This sounds great the more I read the more I want to go.

Comment

i want to go back to new mexico, the trips to colorado,,,i wasn't impressed.

Comment

Rick, I qualify on September 21st I'd be really interested. Let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by JEFFRO View Post
                  i want to go back to new mexico, the trips to colorado,,,i wasn't impressed.
                  There are some awesome areas in NM. Getting drawn is getting tougher all the time.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

I've done the DIY thing some 4 times camping at the trail head for the Saguache Wilderness, one time put out a call on Stickbow and had six guys show. We had a wonderful Time and one Cow Elk was taken. I'm a tad younger at 58 now and hope to go next year again. if I've learned one thing it that the Drop Camp outfitters are hunting the same Elk as you and there's no magic in spending more Money. also learn that going with Younger Primarily Gun Hunters will result in a poor trip as they are sure the Elk are over the next Ridge. Its best to hunt Over the counter Units and roll the dice if you have a Bunch of guys wanting to hunt Together.

Comment

So4 trips, 6 guys and one cow elk? That's not odd I would take on.
                      If you get the right outfitter a drop camp is going to be further back than most DIY hunters can or will get.

Comment

I look at it this way

$1200 is a cheap 10 day vacation these days.

Chasing any critter is a **** good excuse to experince the outdoors (God's country.)

The odds being low of bringing home an elk actually takes the pressure off. I personally will hunt hard... but getting frustrated will only ruin an otherwise good opportunity for a kickass memory.

The best way to make something out of nothing is to have smaller opprotunities available. When I head down south... rabbits fill the emptyness... I plan to bring my fly rod and look for small game opprotunities. Can't even list the number of times I killed a javi after chasing rabbits, etc.

Negative people always find a reason to complain. Been there, done that, being pissy doesn't make it better.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

It's not a matter of being "pissy". It's a out giving advice to help them be successful.
                          When I hunt I'm looking to make a kill. The deer lease is different. When I pay to hunt or travel and pay to hunt I'm looking to fill the tag. If I have to take a couple of long weekends to go scout ahead I go. If I have to talk to a dozen outfits I do.
                          I don't fish to spend time on the lake and relax. Fish to catch fish to weigh in for a paycheck or to eat for the table.
                          Sure I can have a good time without filling a tag. But that doesn't mean $600 tag soup leaves a good taste in my mouth.
                          It may hurt your feelings to tell you the truth but after 4 DIY trips i filled two tags and if not for bad shooting and an equipment issue would I would have filled tags on the other two. I've packed 3 elk out and had a blast and one bad trip.
                          Take what advice you want. But when I head to the mountain I'm there to kill an elk. They are good table fare.

Comment

I have never gone to the trouble to put in for draws on any hunts. Doubt I will start now.

I'll just find decent OTC places, and run with them as best I can.

Rick

Comment

Draws are just disappointing. I agree OTC is better.

Comment

Saying you wouldn't take those odds AFTER somebody posted thier experience isn't giving advice.

Not everybody has the same motivating factors or depth of pockets.

I know the odds... and I know the minimum buy-in to play the game. I will be framing any unused OTC tag and putting it on the wall... just like my euros or LDPs.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X