No. Of Acres per Protein Feeder - Brady Area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No. Of Acres per Protein Feeder - Brady Area

This may have been discussed previously, but I've not found it yet.

I'm looking for some help planning a supplemental feeding plan for our lease near Brady. The landowner has purchased four protein feeders and wants to work with us to feed protein on our 2600 acre lease. I have two basic questions:

1. Are four feeders enough for this acreage? If not, how many acres per feeder would be recommended?

2. Any ideas how much we might have to spend on protein to keep it going from January through August?

I know, that's actually three questions. Sorry about that. Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

D

Generally, you need a feeder for every 2-300 acres.

The amount of feed will vary with the amount of deer you're feeding and habitat conditions. You can get an estimate by counting the number of days you feed, multiplying by the number of deer you're feeding, then multiply by 2 or 3 lbs a day.

240days x 100deer x 2= 48,000 lbs

Comment

Realisticly 4 on 2600 should be fine. The more the better but you gotta do what you can afford.

I would suspect the protein feeders to last anywhere from 4-10 weeks. This will depend on range conditions and the size of the feeders. This 4-10 week number is for a big feeder. 2500-3000# range.

Put them in areas that are easy to access with either feed-jet trailer or a pickup and trailer if you have to haul 50# bags. Also want them to be near cover so the deer will not feel so vulnerable in an open area.

Placing them near water sources is also a big plus. That protein is dry. Taking a break for a drink is nice in a deer's world!

Last, pray for rain! No amount of protein will replace it as many of us found out this past season!

Comment

Originally posted by Peyton View Post

The amount of feed will vary with the amount of deer you're feeding and habitat conditions. You can get an estimate by counting the number of days you feed, multiplying by the number of deer you're feeding, then multiply by 2 or 3 lbs a day.

This^

If you assume $10 per 50# (pulled number out of air for easy calculation) that is $9,600yr. Assuming 4 1,500# feeders they will each last 30 days assuming equal consumption. Of course that is before you figure in coons.

Comment

Yup.

Comment

On our place in Sutton County the deer will empty a 1000 pound protein feeder in about 2 weeks or less.

Comment

How big of protein feeders.....the length of time they will last depends on deer density, (how many acres for one deer), what else is growing, (timne of year, rainfall, etc...)..too many varibles to give an estimate on how long they will last....

Comment

Number of deer is the main question.We had 5 feeeders on 510 acres and they would eat 2000lbs a month easy last season.Deer density and rain will determine everything.Good luck.

Comment

As stated before, 1 feeder per 300 acres, but if we have another year like we just had you will need more as the deer lived at the protein feeders...when this happens you will end up having dominating deer chase all the other deer away so you will need more protein feeders to feed the other deer (so the deer are spread out more and not ganged up around the feeders)....

Comment

We hunt in Fredericksburg, We have been protein feeding for 6 years. We hunt 1200 acres. We have three protein feeder stations spead out on the propertry. (we do not cut the protein stations) We feed Feb. thru Sept. we put out approx. 7000 lbs. per month, during spring feed will last 25 to 30 days. During summer and early fall will last only 10 to 15 days. When we first stated our program we would only put out 2500 lbs. per month and they have gradually ate more every year. We could probably put out another 25 percent of protein now and they would eat it. By the way our program is working great! We also added water at our protein stations this season.

Comment

Do not HUNT the protein stations

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Murphey View Post
                        As stated before, 1 feeder per 300 acres, but if we have another year like we just had you will need more as the deer lived at the protein feeders...when this happens you will end up having dominating deer chase all the other deer away so you will need more protein feeders to feed the other deer (so the deer are spread out more and not ganged up around the feeders)....
                        To reduce the competition at feed locations you can have two protein feeders in each feed pen. This really helps during the spring and summer when the bucks are in batchelor groups. You still need one feed location per 2-300 acres, but two feeders at each.

Comment

To reduce the competition at feed locations you can have two protein feeders in each feed pen. This really helps during the spring and summer when the bucks are in batchelor groups. You still need one feed location per 2-300 acres, but two feeders at each.

This^^^^^

Whether you are talking feed or water......reducing stress is the key. Providing as many "stress free" feeding locations should be the goal......and can be managed based on your budget. Ultimately, I would focus on increasing frequency and maximizing consumption when the bucks visit the feeder. Ways to reduce stress and increase consumption:

-Minimize travel time to feeders
                          -Create very large pens that allow multiple deer to feed at once
                          -Place feeders in open areas with brush or cover nearby, but not buried in the brush
                          -Purchase feeders with extended tubes....spacing the deer out....or place two feeders in the pen
                          -Ensure that the feeders provide the deer good visibility under and around the feeder
                          -1 feed station per 300 is a good goal and should be the minimum

In a pen situation where forage is limited, the average deer consumes about 4-5 pounds per day. In the pasture, I would figure about half that. So, depending on the deer counts in your area (which are pretty high), you can figure your average feed bill. Just my thoughts.

Comment

We have 1300 acres with 4 protein feeders with a total capacity of 6500 lbs. This year they were empty about every 3 weeks. We started feeding in January and ran into November. You can do the math, I don't want to know what it is! And I would say our deer are better than average for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Chance Love View Post
                              We have 1300 acres with 4 protein feeders with a total capacity of 6500 lbs. This year they were empty about every 3 weeks. We started feeding in January and ran into November. You can do the math, I don't want to know what it is! And I would say our deer are better than average for sure.
                              No wonder your bucks are bigger!!!!

......and all this time I was thinking that there was something magical about the west side of a barbwire fence!

Comment

Working...
                              X