New pond leaking, how can we stop it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New pond leaking, how can we stop it?

My dad recently had an existing pond on their place dug bigger and deeper. The pond is currently about 60 yards longs, 30 yards wide, and about 12 feet deep in the center. Well after he pumped it full of water it started leaking. We aren't sure if it is leaking from the side, the bottom, or both places. Any recommendations on how to remedy this? Thanks!

If it drains completely dry, put a liner in it. When it was dug deeper and expanded, disturbed existing silt at the bottom. Should seal back up at some point unless you got so deep you got into a totally different type of soil structure that is porous.

Comment

When it goes completely dry, line it about 8-12 inches thick with clay, spread and compacted.

Comment

Might have dug past a clay zone that it was originally in

Comment

Drain it and disk in some bentonite,or as been said you have to line the side and bottom with clay. Don't give up just yet,the dirt will have to get saturated and the clays swell,this may be where your water loss is going.

Comment

x2 on the bentonite.

Comment

I think you can even try to drop bentonite in it with water and it will help. I would check with your county extension agent.

Comment

Thanks guys! I will let my dad know!

Comment

get some drilling mud to put on it

Comment

Bentonite is the way to go. It will swell up and seal it.

Comment

ive heard ole timers say to start feeding your cows in the dry bottom and they will pack down the bottom and it will start holding water....that might be a cheap fix

Comment

Originally posted by scotty View Post
                        x2 on the bentonite.
                        X4

Comment

what flurry said, move your round bale ring into the tank once it goes dry.

Comment

I know a man who dug a tank, then lined it with construction plastic. You know, the thick heavy black rolls of plastic sheeting. He just overlapped the edges about a foot on all sides and then put dirt on top to hold it all down. Then he sprayed the dirt down and drove his tractor (Cat wheel loader) over it several times to pack the mud. That tank has held water when every other tank in the county was dry. Lots of moss and algae though, he needs ducks.

Comment

Originally posted by flurryoftexas View Post
                              ive heard ole timers say to start feeding your cows in the dry bottom and they will pack down the bottom and it will start holding water....that might be a cheap fix
                              Back in the day, up in west Texas.....they would dump out rock salt in the bottom of dry tanks in order to get the cattle in there to pack it down. I believe that was on the XIT.

I KNOW the bentonite will do it too. You can do it with water in it, but I understand it takes twice as much.

Comment

Working...
                              X