No announcement yet.

Pressured Deer Are EASY To Pattern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nope. He was perfect. He came in like a bull too! I have seen deer that had a broke leg, have a goofy antler though.
    Originally posted by The General View Post
    These stories just keep getting better and better.

That's a nice 'full circle' story on Ol Double Shot. Very cool you were able to knock him down with that same friend in company.

Was there any 'damage' to either side of his horns from the spine/bullet injury?

My dad's first buck he shot (at age 40) was an 8pt but one side looked like it belonged on a yearling deer. One of the old men in camp said 'I bet he has been shot before or injured'

Sure enough, when we cleaned him, about 3/4 of his spine was gone right above his shoulder blades, and only the bottom 1/4 was connected. We deduced that somebody must have skipped a bullet right over him

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
      Youre not serious are you? Wow!

It's east TX! Spot lights and road beers . Just kidding. Is that really your bone pile?

Just read some this to my 5 year old. She said more daddy. Haha your tbh post became abed time story for a kid you never met. keep em coming.

Comment

I've got one in East Texas I've been chasing for 2 years with this one being my third. I'm going to have to change something up because I think he has me patterned. It seems we have been playing cat and mouse. I've seen him three times in person. Last season I could have shot him with the 270 but couldn't bring my self to do it. Hopefully this year is the year. The first thing I may try is slipping into my stand around 9 am and sitting until 3-4. I get a lot of pics of him mid day. I have sat late waiting on him but I think he is close when I get in the stand and on those days he never moves. This thread has me ready for season.

Comment

The lost Ten

When I killed the ten in my avatar, the next week I had his ghost on camera. Another ten just like him. I believe they were twin brothers and when I looked back at pics I realized I had both on camera before and thought they were the same deer. Never had both there at the same time. I was tagged out and knew the deer I killed was 5.5 so I couldnt wait for the next year. Well I watched him all summer and he was bigger. Definitely in the 160s. AS bow season got here I had three studs on the hit list including the big ten.

After bowhunting him hard I finally had him dead to rights! The only problem was, he showed up with all three of my target deer! I shot the 8pt instead. He scored 152 2/8 and is posted earlier in this thread. I knew I made the right choice regardless of score. I started letting my daughter hunt him. I would go sit for hogs and he would roll in. Bring my daughter back the next day... nothing. I did that for a month. Finally , Dec 30th, he walked right out on my daughter at 25yds at 4pm! Problem was, he had shed his left antler. We watched him almost an hour.

The next year at 7.5, he was bigger! I hate to say what he would score but he was 22 inside, beams in the 27 inch range and good mass. All his tines were long. I knew this was the deer I was committed to for the year and didn't even make a hitlist. I started hunting him archery only and had a couple of really close calls. he ran a doe past me and I got him stopped at 36yds. I was full draw but he was alert and I just didn't do it.

In November, when the outside pressure was on, he showed up right where I expected. in the thicket I killed his brother in. A couple days later conditions were perfect and I was getting 100 pics a day of him in my corn pile. I got in there about 115pm and at 320, he came walking in without a care in the World. He stopped to work the exact same scrape I shot my avatar buck in. He was relaxed and I put the pin just below dead center and cut it loose. WHACK! he folded in his tracks with about half an arrow sticking out slightly higher than I meant to hit and I guess I caught the bottom of his spine. He lay on his side with his stomach toward me and and a couple minutes later was still able to raise his head. I figured I better finish him so I calmed my shakes and shot him again. The arrow hit him just above the sternum and im sure the ground stopped it as only half the fletching and noc were sticking out.

He scrambled forward and to my surprise, got his feet under him and crashed into the briar patch. I was shaking head to toe and called several folks to let them know I had killed him. I sat in the stand and waited for a friend and Dad to get there. The second arrow was about ten yards down the trail and had lung blood the entire length. He made it 40yds to a small creek and that's where we lost him. I spent five days in that thicket. I worked it in grid with a gps and machete. You cant picture a worse youpon and greenbriar mess with 2ft visibility. I never found that deer. Any half way dog would have got him. sadly, it wasn't legal at the time to use one.

That was four years ago and IM sick at my stomach to this day about that deer. I had logged over 100 hours already that year after him besides the years before. There is no logical explaination for that one.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post
            It's east TX! Spot lights and road beers . Just kidding. Is that really your bone pile?

Just read some this to my 5 year old. She said more daddy. Haha your tbh post became abed time story for a kid you never met. keep em coming.
            That's the ones in the corner minus my mounts.

Comment

Great story GarGuy

Comment

I've really enjoyed reliving these hunts with you this evening.
                I too have the same question regarding Hogs in your thickets.
                How are you not overrun with hogs in these spots, or do you continue to hunt them anyway?

Originally posted by myway View Post
                Wow! Always enjoy your thread but this one will get a man ready for deer season. Question I am firm believer in hand corn as well but it seems anymore the hogs find it as fast and turns into a hog spot and I loose interest. Do you think it effects the spot as much as I do or do you continue to hunt it?

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                  Lucky 8

I had a spot rigged up fro dad(I do that a lot) and he was rifle hunting but I wanted to bow hunt. I looked like a cinch and I needed to stay close so I went with him and carried my bow. I was sitting at the truck listening for him to shoot when I remembered a whiteoak plot on a deep creek about 1.5 miles in the back of the property adjoining a terrible thicket. The wind was perfect for an approach and I decided to go check it out. I walked in and when I got close, I could smell bucks and hear acorns whacking the ground. I eased up too the first big whiteoak and saw two fresh rubs under it and the leaves all kicked up. To my left was a giant pine that was blown down by hurricane Ike and it had a big clay rootball.
                  I tucked in on the log with little cover but five minutes later I had a young buck sniffing for acorns. He crossed the deep creek and gave me a chance to breath when he got abut 40yds . Not for long. the mosquitoes were absolutely killing me. I hadn't come prepared to hunt and had nothing but a thin shirt on. About the time I couldn't stand it anymore, here comes five does. Ten yards and I cant move. I see movement to my right and there is a pretty nice deer working a scrape 20yds away but I cant even turn my head to look at him. He made the does nervous and they fed over to the next tree. The buck turned and walked back the way he came ..giving me the walking away shivers. Man he looked BIG!

I seized that opportunity to wipe a bunch of blood gorged skeeters off my arms and back. before hearing a deer coming at a fast crunch from the direction the big deer just went. I got turned and ready. He was a nice 6.5yr old 8pt but really not as big as I thought when he walked away. He was on a mission and I had watched the other deer go behind that big whiteoak before crossing the creek. He was right in step. When his head went behind the tree, I drew and his ribcage came out just as I was solid at anchor. I touched the release and heard the smack of a Muzzy striking home. He bolted forward and into the creek but didn't come out. I sat there a few seconds and then eased over to the creek bank. He was standing right in the bottom wobbeling side to side so I sent another straight down. He let out a snort unlike any I have ever heard a deer make before collapsing.

I slid down the bank and into the stream bed with him 20ft deep. He was about 125 but man he was a warhorse of a deer. I tried getting him up the bank and got about half way before both of us slid back to the bottom! Exhausted, I was standing there panting when I heard the same type snort/bellow I had heard earlier. I looked straight up and there was the BIG buck looking down at me from the top bank. My bow was laying about 6ft from him also on the top bank! He stood there and gave me the evil eye for a few seconds and then just stiff legged back out of sight. All I can figure is he heard my wounded deer bellow and us sliding down the bank and thought it was a buck fight in the creek.

I had to get help on that one. I like hunting closer to the road!
                  This is my favorite one so far

Comment

The lost Ten

When I killed the ten in my avatar, the next week I had his ghost on camera. Another ten just like him. I believe they were twin brothers and when I looked back at pics I realized I had both on camera before and thought they were the same deer. Never had both there at the same time. I was tagged out and knew the deer I killed was 5.5 so I couldnt wait for the next year. Well I watched him all summer and he was bigger. Definitely in the 160s. AS bow season got here I had three studs on the hit list including the big ten.

After bowhunting him hard I finally had him dead to rights! The only problem was, he showed up with all three of my target deer! I shot the 8pt instead. He scored 152 2/8 and is posted earlier in this thread. I knew I made the right choice regardless of score. I started letting my daughter hunt him. I would go sit for hogs and he would roll in. Bring my daughter back the next day... nothing. I did that for a month. Finally , Dec 30th, he walked right out on my daughter at 25yds at 4pm! Problem was, he had shed his left antler. We watched him almost an hour.

The next year at 7.5, he was bigger! I hate to say what he would score but he was 22 inside, beams in the 27 inch range and good mass. All his tines were long. I knew this was the deer I was committed to for the year and didn't even make a hitlist. I started hunting him archery only and had a couple of really close calls. he ran a doe past me and I got him stopped at 36yds. I was full draw but he was alert and I just didn't do it.

In November, when the outside pressure was on, he showed up right where I expected. in the thicket I killed his brother in. A couple days later conditions were perfect and I was getting 100 pics a day of him in my corn pile. I got in there about 115pm and at 320, he came walking in without a care in the World. He stopped to work the exact same scrape I shot my avatar buck in. He was relaxed and I put the pin just below dead center and cut it loose. WHACK! he folded in his tracks with about half an arrow sticking out slightly higher than I meant to hit and I guess I caught the bottom of his spine. He lay on his side with his stomach toward me and and a couple minutes later was still able to raise his head. I figured I better finish him so I calmed my shakes and shot him again. The arrow hit him just above the sternum and im sure the ground stopped it as only half the fletching and noc were sticking out.

He scrambled forward and to my surprise, got his feet under him and crashed into the briar patch. I was shaking head to toe and called several folks to let them know I had killed him. I sat in the stand and waited for a friend and Dad to get there. The second arrow was about ten yards down the trail and had lung blood the entire length. He made it 40yds to a small creek and that's where we lost him. I spent five days in that thicket. I worked it in grid with a gps and machete. You cant picture a worse youpon and greenbriar mess with 2ft visibility. I never found that deer. Any half way dog would have got him. sadly, it wasn't legal at the time to use one.

That was four years ago and IM sick at my stomach to this day about that deer. I had logged over 100 hours already that year after him besides the years before. There is no logical explaination for that one.
                    Ugh. That SUCKS.

Other than that one this has been a GREAT thread.

Comment

Awesome stories, you need to write a book on how to kill huge, smart, east Texas bucks.

Comment

That's the ones in the corner minus my mounts.
                        I really don't know what to say.

Comment

Steve, tell the one about you and Sam corralling that 10pt that layed down and his from you. That's a good one!!!

Comment

Steve as always...... AMAZING STORY!!!! Thanks for sharing

Comment

Originally posted by jooger17 View Post
                              Steve, tell the one about you and Sam corralling that 10pt that layed down and his from you. That's a good one!!!
                              Ill tell it soon. Gotta go dig arrowheads now.

Comment

Man if this thread doesn't get you pumped up for the approaching season, NOTHING WILL!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X