DIY 3D Target Butt Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY 3D Target Butt Repair

I repaired this target over the weekend and it came out a lot better than I expected.

I didn't take any before and after pictures unfortunately because I really didn't think it would turn out as great as it did.

So this target was completely shot out and had a see through hole behind the shoulder about the size of a clinched fist.

I cut the hole out a little more so that I had some "good" target foam around the hole.

I then took and cut a plug out of another one of my shot up targets that I deemed not worth saving.

I pushed the plug in and then used some of the new Loctite spray foam all around the plug front and back.

I let it dry over night and then trimmed the excess foam off the front with a hand saw and sharp knife.

I then sanded it down, painted it, and burned in the 10 and 8 rings.

I left the back dirty and decide to leave the excess plug protruding through the back to help the target last a little longer.

I'm really pleased with how this turned out, I've done target repairs in the past and used "Great Foam". The "Great Foam" was weak, left a sticky residue on my arrow shafts, took forever to dry, and didn't hold paint well.

This new Loctite foam is legit.

Shout out to Rusty Horn for the plug idea and foam advice.
    Attached Files

That is a heck of a job Bobby. I cant even see the patch. That should last you a long time. Good work

Comment

Originally posted by TildenHunter View Post
      That is a heck of a job Bobby. I cant even see the patch. That should last you a long time. Good work
      thanks Hunter

Comment

I bought that same target last year for $17 at academy on clearance (I wish they had more than 1!!!)

That turned out great! I will have to try that foam on my full sized Rinehart deer down in the armpit area.

Comment

Turned out pretty dang slick. Good idea.

Comment

Working...
          X